GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you aware that the 2017 Volt only charges to 89% of the total battery capacity to start with?
That’s not true. My 2019 charges to 95% and I seriously doubt that it’s any different for any other gen-2.

·
Registered
121 Posts
BAZINGA,

Not charging a VOLT to 100% setting by the engineers is a waste of useable range and paranoid at best. They already know and took care of overcharging to an actual 100% and prevented that from ever happening in the BECM programing. It is my understanding GM did this from the start on all VOLTs. I have not heard of fires in the VOLT related to charging as long as I have been interested in the VOLT technology (years). Maybe an oddball defective BECM incident/cell imbalance that I'm not aware of happened, but have never heard of such a case. Its factory charge to 100% every day for me until I hear not to and believe the claim/GM recommendation that I should not.

Stephen

Just to be safe until GM says otherwise, I'm not charging our 2017 Volt to 100% anymore and I will only charge when we are awake. Hopefully GM will address all these issues/concerns so we can get back to charging as usual.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
if you are curious about your batteries volt or bolt
IMG_3683.PNG

there an app mygreenvolt and they are on face book, think app cost 5 bucks
IMG_3681.JPG

you need this that plugs in plug under dash by steering wheel

IMG_3684.PNG

it also gives temp of batteries

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
That’s not true. My 2019 charges to 95% and I seriously doubt that it’s any different for any other gen-2.
My 2017 has a 18.4KWh battery. I have noted on several occasions that I can only use 14KWh of that battery. There also appears to be a small buffer at the bottom - I'm estimating 0.4KWh - to allow the car to dig into the battery when the ICE either isn't sufficiently powerful or under hard acceleration when the ICE can't spin up fast enough. This leaves 4KWh unused. Knowing that LiOn batteries don't like to be discharged or fully charged I'm working on the assumption that this buffer is split in half with 2KWh at the top and at the bottom.

The above leads to a "full" battery being charged to 16.4 KWh. 16.4/18.4 = .8913, or 89%.

Reactions: digitaljem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah when I realized that the original volts were engineered to stop charging at 80% capacity and use their ICE to recharge starting at 30% capacity I realized that the batteries should last a really long time. It is the kind of over-engineering for longevity that I appreciate and something only reasonably possible with the ICE engine to recharge on the fly vs. a straight EV. My 2012 Volt still seems to have the original KWh/mileage capacity w/ 100k + miles although it varies a lot based upon driving style and external weather factors. I can get anywhere from 2.5 to 4+ miles per KWh depending upon how much the battery needs to be heated/cooled and whether I need to use the heater to defrost it.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Yeah when I realized that the original volts were engineered to stop charging at 80% capacity and use their ICE to recharge starting at 30% capacity I realized that the batteries should last a really long time. It is the kind of over-engineering for longevity that I appreciate and something only reasonably possible with the ICE engine to recharge on the fly vs. a straight EV. My 2012 Volt still seems to have the original KWh/mileage capacity w/ 100k + miles although it varies a lot based upon driving style and external weather factors. I can get anywhere from 2.5 to 4+ miles per KWh depending upon how much the battery needs to be heated/cooled and whether I need to use the heater to defrost it.
We may never see another vehicle with the near perfect mix of electrification, worry-free range anxiety, and price point (I bought my new Volt for $21k after rebates and incentives). The CT6 Plugin definitely has more luxury and cabin space, but at a much higher price. Come on GM, give us more choices already... we’ve been waiting forever

Reactions: supchrgamx

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
You shouldn't be charging a Bolt to 100% anyways unless you are on a road trip where you are going to need every last mile.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
dont know how accurate it is but looks like 3.5 % buffer on charged side .644kw
and 9.7% buffer on the discharged side of things 1.78kw
and 3,6% left usable with the engine called to start .664kw

·
Registered
606 Posts
The Volt uses more of the battery capacity as the battery degrades to make degradation unperceivable without using instrumentation. Your range should stay the same for a very long time. My guess is that range wont change for most cars during the Voltec warranty. Eventually degradation will exceed the buffer values and range will decrease with degradation after that. Very old Volts will be used as hybrids daily, but that's after being on the road for ten years or so. Any insurance claim would total the car at that point.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
The Volt uses more of the battery capacity as the battery degrades to make degradation unperceivable without using instrumentation. Your range should stay the same for a very long time. My guess is that range wont change for most cars during the Voltec warranty. Eventually degradation will exceed the buffer values and range will decrease with degradation after that. Very old Volts will be used as hybrids daily, but that's after being on the road for ten years or so. Any insurance claim would total the car at that point.
just dont know if its good, normal, or bad

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
so to answer my own question and see what my 2017 volt battery was doing after sorting a few thing out on the car
looks like 13 mv between cells,full charge, better than my2016 , but has less miles.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts