GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See GM is recalling all Bolts for 5 battery fires. Seems the pouch batteries can't handle being charged to 100%, so the temp fix is software to limit to 90%.

The Volt also used a LG pouch battery like the Bolt, right? Does this not affect us because the Volt is an 18kW pack that only charges to 14kW so we never really get 100% charge?

·
Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
See GM is recalling all Bolts for 5 battery fires. Seems the pouch batteries can't handle being charged to 100%, so the temp fix is software to limit to 90%.

The Volt also used a LG pouch battery like the Bolt, right? Does this not affect us because the Volt is an 18kW pack that only charges to 14kW so we never really get 100% charge?
For others here is the thread on Bolt recall: BOLT EV RECALL 13-Nov-2020 - potential fires

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I would suspect that our Volts have different chemistry in their pouches, as well as never being fully recharged to prolong the lifetime of the battery. IIRC the Gen 1s have slightly more un-recharged headroom than the Gen 2s.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
This recall has nothing to do with the 12V batteries. It's a specific LG Chem designed and produced pouch battery that's at the source of this issue.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I don't know how the battery chemistries compare. My S.W.A.G. is since the temporary fix for the Bolt is to limit the charge to 90%, the likelihood of a similar problem on the Volt is substantially lower.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
This recall has nothing to do with the 12V batteries. It's a specific LG Chem designed and produced pouch battery that's at the source of this issue.
is it
my volts battery management blew up, and depending on how it fails could affect the battery
i also suspect the 12 v system that did it
now this would hold true if the cars were charging at the time of fire
the fact that gm has reduced total charging, falls in line with my thinking
just thinking out loud

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Apparently is has to do with certain Bolts with batteries manufactured in Korea. Batteries also made at a US plant and those are OK?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
is it
my volts battery management blew up, and depending on how it fails could affect the battery
i also suspect the 12 v system that did it
now this would hold true if the cars were charging at the time of fire
the fact that gm has reduced total charging, falls in line with my thinking
The reason the NHTSA go real interested is the fact that the Bolt and Kona share the battery pouch design. Als
Apparently is has to do with certain Bolts with batteries manufactured in Korea. Batteries also made at a US plant and those are OK?
Correct. The LG Chem pouch batteries manufactured in the US aren't impacted. The issue is specific to their South Korean plant.

Reactions: Volt_Tron

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
maybe they are a weaker battery due to the water they use ( i dont know) but still made spec
maybe it is the battery management thats over charging the batteries and those one liked it the least. that in it self would be reason to cut back total charging, then the question would be why its doing it . if its anything like my 2017 volt, its the 12 v
just thinking openly

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The Volt doesn't share the battery pack design with the Bolt and Kona. The Bolt and Kona both use a skateboard style battery pack design.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
822 Posts
The Volt doesn't share the battery pack design with the Bolt and Kona. The Bolt and Kona both use a skateboard style battery pack design.
i get that, just wonder if they use the same type battery management between all three with just different cell counts

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
take a look at the Samsung battery fires in the cell phone from a few years ago was not all phones or a battery management error -- but battery management and extra monitoring can help.

My phone can hold off on a 100 % charge and only have it charge up to 100 % by my normal "take if off the charger" time in the morning

Not sitting at 100 % all the time can help

-------------
Guess this is like kicking a big dent in you gas tank as far as range goes :-(

Reactions: supchrgamx

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Just to be safe until GM says otherwise, I'm not charging our 2017 Volt to 100% anymore and I will only charge when we are awake. Hopefully GM will address all these issues/concerns so we can get back to charging as usual.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Just to be safe and until GM says otherwise, I'm not charging our 2017 Volt to 100% anymore and I will only charge when we are awake. Hopefully GM will address all these issues/concerns so we can get back to charging as usual.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Just to be safe until GM says otherwise, I'm not charging our 2017 Volt to 100% anymore and I will only charge when we are awake. Hopefully GM will address all these issues/concerns so we can get back to charging as usual.
Are you aware that the 2017 Volt only charges to 89% of the total battery capacity to start with?

The battery design in the Volt is dramatically different from the Bolt and Kona, both of which sit their battery pouches in liquid. The Volt's battery coolant runs between all the cells.

Reactions: Volt_Tron

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Volt when charged up is full with the total 18 KWH it only lets you use 14 KWH so the battery will last a long time because you are not running the battery all the way down. the life span of the battery is not hurt because its not being run all the way down then charged all the way up.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Don’t bother. The issue is a Bolt problem not a Volt problem. I’m not changing my iPhone charging habits either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts