GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a minor fender bender in Rockville Maryland and am looking for body shop recommendation. The other driver was found at fault so his insurance will pick up the tab. Light damage to front right bumper, with a ding in the hood and new turn signal and headlight glass needed. Car drives fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
(Sorry I'm restricted from posting links)
I live in Gettysburg, PA but commute to Rockville, MD for work during the week.
In and out auto body [inandoutautobody . com] or
imperial autobody [imperialab . com/rockville-md] both are on Lofstrand lane in Rockville, MD. The shops are literally right next to each other. I've had work done at both. In and out fixed my prius when a lady backed into my parked car. And imperial fixed my volt when some @$$.... Rear ended me when I was stopped at a crosswalk waiting for a pedestrian on Twinbrook parkway. Of the two i liked Imperial the best. But both are good. Glad your okay, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I had a minor fender bender in Rockville Maryland and am looking for body shop recommendation. The other driver was found at fault so his insurance will pick up the tab. Light damage to front right bumper, with a ding in the hood and new turn signal and headlight glass needed. Car drives fine.
If you are not paying the bill why not take to a Chevy dealer to make sure you get OE parts.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If any Voltec components, radiators, etc are impacted, I would only use a Chevy dealer. If not, continue on with the recommendation request :)

If you are not paying the bill why not take to a Chevy dealer to make sure you get OE parts.
Agreed. Even then, insist on genuine GM parts.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I'll take it in for an estimate to Imperial. Everything works great at least on electric...I've not run the engine since the accident.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are aftermarket parts available. A quick search of R O C K A U T O [DOT] C O M -- (I'm restricted from providing email links in my posts...) you can find aftermarket parts, like an impact bar, fenders panels etc. But most reputable body-shops will use OEM parts anyway. Only in certain circumstances will they use junk-yard, or reconditioned or after-market parts. (Usually at the owners request, when paying out of pocket in order to keep costs low. Or at the direction of the insurance company who will direct shops to use AM parts on older vehicles needing repair.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Madmike, it's been a few months, can you provide any updates to your car? I'm interested to know where you took it for repair, your experience and how you feel about the repair etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm curious - are aftermarket body parts even available for a low volume car like the Volt?
the first generation volt is basically a chevy volt
I had a 2012 chevy volt LE that I traded for my 2015 chevy volt premium
the only difference besides the voltec electric drive, is the cruxe was a sedan, and my volt is a hatchback

·
Registered
208 Posts
2012 chevy cruze

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up being coerced a little bit to use a repair shop certified by State Farm.... I took it to "in and out auto body" in Rockville after going to a couple of other place that didn't catch all the damage in their (too quick) estimate...and gave me the willies. I was super pleased with the work by in and out...they even took out a small dent in the hood that I caused when I didn't know how to close the hood properly. They also detailed the whole care inside and out. They used all OEM parts.

The other part of the story is that while driving home tonight, my Volt sacrificed itself to stop a 90 year old missing person. he was swerving all over the road in his early 90s Buick and very confused. He rear ended me and spun me around. A wheel came off the volt (and gently rolled into a very nice lady's SUV). the car that hit me air bags went off (mine didn't) and his front end is trashed. He was taken away in an ambulance, I hope only because he was super confused (accident happened in MD and he thought he was in PA).

I'm 95% sure my car is totaled. Sad to take your stuff out of a car you love wondering if you will ever see it again....just in case I put the rear wheel and all the stuff that was attached in the back hatch...maybe it can be saved.

So....I have a Tesla Model Three reservation...but was honestly thinking I would cancel after making sure I saw the model three and drove it because I loved my Volt so much, and frankly they have depreciated so much that it seems silly to sell it...sigh. At least everyone is OK and now I have a good excuse to test drive some cars and I'm lucky as long as I don't mind driving a f 250 (to pull wife's horse trailer) diesel I have another ride.

It was pretty obvious by the damage to both cars that the Volt is a very safe, well built car.

madmike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts