GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The BMW i8 ($125,900.00+) is a cool car. For the price of it, one can just about purchase a Cadillac ELR ($50,000.00) and a Via XTruck SUV ($79,000.00)...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JM:

Ya' gotz-ta-luv the styling! The price, well, not so much.

Did you see this post at the Detroit News?

"The ELR and its high-tech cachet are part of a different approach. With the proven powertrain and compact platform of the four-door Chevrolet Volt, Cadillac's independent designers put interior opulence in a dramatically styled two-door coupe body. Ferguson said the ELR restores Cadillac's century-long reputation for technological leadership.

Most Volt buyers actually have been Cadillac's target market all along: progressive, educated and affluent. The Volt also has sold best on the West and East coasts, where Cadillac hasn't fared well. "(ELR) is the car that so many have dreamed of," Ferguson said. "The propulsion system is sound, the interior is as good as I've seen in any car, and the styling is cool. You feel like you are driving a sports car, but you have the piece of mind that you are environmentally progressive."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130111/AUTO0103/301110341#ixzz2Hiy30nKQ

I'm putting my money on GM. Voltec is 'where it's at' when it comes to 21st Century Electric Propulsion! Not, of course, that I will afford the ELR ... unless, it is really wonderful. Fingers crossed, and so forth...

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
"Thanks to the eDrive technology with its large lithium-ion battery, which can be charged from a domestic power supply, the BMW i8 Concept can travel up to 35 kilometres (approx. 20 miles) on electric power alone. Added to which, the 2+2-seater offers enough space for four people, giving it a high level of everyday practicality."

A 20 mile battery? That $125k is buying a lot of styling, not EV range.

·
Registered
761 Posts
"Thanks to the eDrive technology with its large lithium-ion battery, which can be charged from a domestic power supply, the BMW i8 Concept can travel up to 35 kilometres (approx. 20 miles) on electric power alone. Added to which, the 2+2-seater offers enough space for four people, giving it a high level of everyday practicality."

A 20 mile battery? That $125k is buying a lot of styling, not EV range.
^^ I totally second that thought. The one good thing about it is people who would only buy BMW may buy it, and thus be introduced to a Volt-like (i.e. EREV) experience. I'm sure the BMW i8 owners will (similar to Volt owners experiences) be amazed by the efficiency for performance they will get. Furthermore, people buying $100K + cars tend to be people of influence. So all in all, good for EVs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No doubt "BMW i8 Spyder" look is awesome. But i have confusing about concept car, i mean it is only concept or it 'll be launched for customers?
The i8 hardtop is going into production and will be available for sale in early 2014. They haven't announced pricing yet but it's going to be very expensive, like $120,000 expensive. The i8 Spyder is only a concept now with no solid plans for production. However I was at the BMW press conference at NAIAS last week and the BMW people said they are getting very positive feedback and they could very well put it in production. If so It wouldn't be available until late 2014 at the earliest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts