GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW will rework the front and rear of the i3 and equip the car with a new battery to increase its range sometime in 2017. The range increase will be somewhere less than 50%.

In other words, it will be less range than the Bolt EV or the Model 3. And base model will be priced higher.

BMW is justifying less range by claiming people don't buy based on range or that range is not important. BMW's development board Klaus Fröhlich told the "World on Sunday" that he did not consider car manufacturers to be competing based on who has the greatest range.

When your product has fails by that metric and is higher priced, I can see why you'd try to make that argument.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article159782990/BMW-verpasst-seinem-Elektroauto-i3-eine-Auffrischung.html (use Chrome's translation tool for English)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yep! I had one for a week and try as I might, I simply could not bring myself to like it!

When your product has fails by that metric and is higher priced, I can see why you'd try to make that argument.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Range side, I still can't get past how ugly the i3 is and how tiny the fuel tank for the Rex is. I'd consider it if they can squeeze the drivetrain into a regular 3 series coupe, sedan, or CUV.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
At least a 5 gal tank, let the range extender come on a little earlier since you put the car in limp mode with the SOC is low and the ICE is in get home (range extending) mode. Without having to use the Euro software to do it.

A 150 mile range with the REX would work well for most people though... Can you imagine a Volt with a 150 mile range?

About the looks and usefulness of the size of the vehicle... ugh.... is all I can say... However, IMHO the only good way to have one is to lease it when they are on special. I've seen $149/month with little out of pocket to start. But you still gotta like the car and most don't.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
At least a 5 gal tank, let the range extender come on a little earlier since you put the car in limp mode with the SOC is low and the ICE is in get home (range extending) mode. Without having to use the Euro software to do it.

A 150 mile range with the REX would work well for most people though... Can you imagine a Volt with a 150 mile range?

About the looks and usefulness of the size of the vehicle... ugh.... is all I can say... However, IMHO the only good way to have one is to lease it when they are on special. I've seen $149/month with little out of pocket to start. But you still gotta like the car and most don't.
And I hate leasing...but you can't have it all. $!49 per month won't get you an equinox sized CUV with 100+ miles of range. One or more of those parameters must change.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Volt has a large gas tank, no problem. The reason BMW has a tiny tank and doesn't have a CS or Mountain mode is that they (BMW) made a special deal with CARB to create a new class of car so that BMW could collect more credits. It's their own self serving actions that established this restriction.

But I agree....150 miles + even a lame extender will give a lot of flexibility.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts