GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2017 Volt.

Phone connects via bluetooth without issues but most times the audio does not play. The phone is playing but the sound is not coming from the car.

I have tried repairing, disconnecting, restarting phone. Often when I plug in the cable for Android Auto it also does not play but once I can get it going with Android Auto the bluetooth works also.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
874 Posts
New 2017 Volt.

Phone connects via bluetooth without issues but most times the audio does not play. The phone is playing but the sound is not coming from the car.

I have tried repairing, disconnecting, restarting phone. Often when I plug in the cable for Android Auto it also does not play but once I can get it going with Android Auto the bluetooth works also.

Any suggestions?
Did you make sure the source is set to Bluetooth in the radio? You have to tap the "Source" icon a few times, and you have to do it every time you connect...*sigh*

As for Android Auto, does your Projection icon change to Android Auto? You should be able to open it and choose your audio app. If that still doesn't result in audio playing, you might have an issue with your sound system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the projection button doesn't change to Android Auto then check your cable. I've found most cables don't work. I'm currently using the one that came with my Nvidia Shield and that works fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the same issue with my iPhone as well, it shows it playing on the display and on the phone but doesn't make a sound. I usually have to power off the radio once or twice to fix the problem. Just hold the power button for a few seconds and it will turn off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to the forum and having this exact problem with my 2017 volt and my Android phone (same has happened with iPhone as well). About every 1 out of 3 times I start the car, the phone pairs successfully shows up on the screen as in playback (countdown on the song is clicking away..) but NO AUDIO. I have control over the playback: pressing pause/play on the phone OR the Volt's touchscreen accurately controls the playback on both devices, but still no audio. Unpairing/repairing does not work. The only remedy is to turn off the car and turn it back on. Very annoying. Is there not a software upgrade yet that fixes this problem??

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
58 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to the forum and having this exact problem with my 2017 volt and my Android phone (same has happened with iPhone as well). About every 1 out of 3 times I start the car, the phone pairs successfully shows up on the screen as in playback (countdown on the song is clicking away..) but NO AUDIO. I have control over the playback: pressing pause/play on the phone OR the Volt's touchscreen accurately controls the playback on both devices, but still no audio. Unpairing/repairing does not work. The only remedy is to turn off the car and turn it back on. Very annoying. Is there not a software upgrade yet that fixes this problem??

I have had the same. In the past I ended up either pulling over and shutting the car off opening door, closing door and then restarting everything for it all to work. My solution I have now is a bluetooth FM transmitter so I can listen to the radio and leave it all alone. I never explored for a fix other than a replacement infotainment head and came up with zero specific for this car, although they did have one for a malibu that looked like our at a 200+ cost. I have seen a lot of discussions about bluetooth and android auto being discontinued and such but did not understand most of it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have always had this problem with Bluetooth in my 2017. About 1 out of 5 times there will be no BT audio. I found a fix that works 100% of the time for me... Switch to FM radio, and then switch back to Bluetooth. The BT audio comes back every time when I do this.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I have always had this problem with Bluetooth in my 2017. About 1 out of 5 times there will be no BT audio. I found a fix that works 100% of the time for me... Switch to FM radio, and then switch back to Bluetooth. The BT audio comes back every time when I do this.
I use this technique when the car shows the previous song vs. the current one playing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also believe the phone itself has some bearing on this. My old Pixel 2 had WAY more problems than my current Pixel 6 does. With the Pixel 2 I often had the problem with the song text not updating or being out of sync, and the BT controls acting really slow. (i.e. pressing next track, it would take 5+ seconds for the phone to actually change tracks) My with 6 the only problem I get is the occasional no audio, which flipping to FM radio and back always fixes.

Android Auto is 100%, never have any problems with it.

I am amazed that despite Bluetooth being over 20 years old, it can still be problematic. You would have thought the problems would have been worked out by now!

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,205 Posts
Speculation, but it may be valuable to remember that for Bluetooth: "connected" means at least one kind of connection is connected, and ... it ain't necessarily the one that you want. The different kind of connections are termed "profiles" and there's about 30 of them. The most common profiles in use are Hands-Free Profile (HFP) that handles voice calling, Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) that does streaming stereo that may or may not be supporting direct streaming of MP3/MP4/AAC/etc audio, and Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) aka "Contact sharing". Those all can connect and disconnect independently of each other, and any single one of them is enough to have the device register as "connected" on both ends. But if the HFP is still active, and A2DP has wandered off somewhere and silently dropped, you won't be able to tell from looking at the displays, and it may well manifest as described above: audio "playing" silently on an attached device but the car part of the connection is unaware that anything's happening or changed. And that's why most of the resolution lists include steps like "turn bluetooth off and on again on your phone" and "unpair and repair the device from both ends of the connection".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have tried this too, unfortunately only once in a rare while does it fix the problem. I've also had this problem with 2 different Android phones as well as an iPhone. Sigh. I have never tried Android Auto. Maybe I'll look into that. Thank you all for your replies and suggestions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts