GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

Talking to my wife while she's driving hands-free in her Volt produces a very tinny voice quality. Talking to her in the car while her phone is not linked is as clear as expected.

Is there a control, either on Bluetooth-enabled phones or in the Volt itself that can alter outbound voice quality?

I drove her car last night and called her from my linked phone and the results were the same. The quality of the person's voice over the speaker in the vehicle was great. It's just your contact that suffers the tinny sound.

The sound quality of the linked phone sounds as if it is run through a narrow band pass filter that only allows frequencies between ~ 4-5 khz and far away as if they're talking from the back seat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I brought my 2013 in because of poor sound quality, the dealer said there was a software fix but they didn't want to do it because it involved reloading something else. Do you know what the number was and what the description is on your invoice?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Had a similar issue with mine. Took it in to the dealer the other day for other reasons, and complained about the phone/bluetooth outgoing audio quality - the answer was that the car already Had the "latest" software and that they were not able to do anything about it.

OK. The Phone I'm using is a Samsung Galaxy SII, exactly one year old, still running Android 2.3.6 and on ATT. I tried messing with That, updating it to 4.0.1, and (long story) ended up Still/back on 2.3.6, although completely flashed, rooted and re-loaded. The sound quality problem with bluetooth thru the car is Much improved.

I don't know, but at least Some of the problem appears to have been the Phone's fault..

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know, but at least Some of the problem appears to have been the Phone's fault..
Hmmmm... both of our phones are Samsung but neither is smart ... maybe one day. Our dealer *claimed* that all available updates had been installed per my pre-delivery request. I'm begining to wonder now since they had forgotten to install the air dam after having it on their lot for more than 24hrs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not sure if this is the same issue or not. In my case the caller on the other end sometimes heard a lot of background noise. There is a fix for this. I had it done last weekend and now people tell me that I sound great. I had this work done with the "service parking brake" issue that you may read about and it took about an hour.

Bluetooth Static Bulletin PIC5768

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Besides the PIC5768 reflash, (applicable to non-Bose audio only) you might also want to check out any advice offered specific to your phone at

http://www.onstar.com/bluetooth (begin with "Select a Brand")

Certain phones will require "noise cancellation" or certain soundfield "effects" (echo control etc) be turned OFF to improve sound quality

WOT

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Besides the PIC5768 reflash, you might also want to check out any advice offered specific to your phone at

http://www.onstar.com/bluetooth (begin with "Select a Brand")

Certain phones will require "noise cancellation" or certain soundfield "effects" (echo control etc) be turned OFF to improve sound quality

WOT
Thanks for the suggestion.

I took a look around on the site and discovered that the MY2013 Volt was not an option. Selecting similar vehicles did not yield any usable information.

What you suggest: "Certain phones will require "noise cancellation" or certain soundfield "effects" (echo control etc) be turned OFF to improve sound quality" sounds exactly like what I feel would solve my issue. Again, as I said earlier, our outbound sound is as if it is being passed through a bandpass filter.

I visited our dealer on Saturday. The service rep looked up my vehicle by VIN and announced that no outstanding patches or updates were even suggested. He didn't have a qualified Volt tech on duty so there was no opportunity to query them.

I'll take a look as the software update page on our Volt for PIC5768 - if my wife ever comes home from Christmas shopping. :)

Holiday Cheers,

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I visited our dealer on Saturday. The service rep looked up my vehicle by VIN and announced that no outstanding patches or updates were even suggested.
The only thing a service advisor can check is to query for "Required Field Actions" based on your VIN. So unless there was an outstanding "campaign" for your car (aka a "recall") then nothing would appear. The radio software update relating to preliminary bulletin PIC5768 wouldnt show up here either unfortunetely. That's just not the way it works.

Your best bet would be to just book it in for "Static/Noise/poor audio On Outbound End Of Call" and when you drop it off make sure they add a note to "refer to PIC5768"

A Volt technician will only be able to determine IF a radio firmware update is available AFTER connecting the car (and it's 3+ programmable modules) to GM's web-based Service Programming System (SPS) . This and only this will permit the tech to compare the various files that are ON your car to those available off the SPS server. I know there has been numerous updates released for the 2013 MyLink radios to address various issues, but your access to these updates requires the car to be booked in with a "concern" and be present in the service stall so the "live" query can take place.

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
437 Posts
The only thing a service advisor can check is to query for "Required Field Actions" based on your VIN. So unless there was an outstanding "campaign" for your car (aka a "recall") then nothing would appear. The radio software update relating to preliminary bulletin PIC5768 wouldnt show up here either unfortunetely. That's just not the way it works.

Your best bet would be to just book it in for "Static/Noise/poor audio On Outbound End Of Call" and when you drop it off make sure they add a note to "refer to PIC5768"

A Volt technician will only be able to determine IF a radio firmware update is available AFTER connecting the car (and it's 3+ programmable modules) to GM's web-based Service Programming System (SPS) . This and only this will permit the tech to compare the various files that are ON your car to those available off the SPS server. I know there has been numerous updates released for the 2013 MyLink radios to address various issues, but your access to these updates requires the car to be booked in with a "concern" and be present in the service stall so the "live" query can take place.

HTH
WOT
IMO, this is something GM/Chevy needs to improve upon.

The current status/version and available updates for EVERY module should be published and available to the vehicle owner. Requiring a "concern" means that the vehicle fleet is going to be inconsistent and deteriorate the value of the vehicles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I took my '13 in for the "delayed charge" fix and the "wind tunnel" bluetooth. I told the advisor about the bulletin. When I picked it up I was told the bulletin/patch did not apply to my VIN and was not installed but it is indeed FIXED! I also get better performance from the electric cabin heater. MUCH faster to come on. Something tells me the system software was re-loaded. No complaints here!!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

HTH
WOT
Thanks!

I'll take that tact when I schedule a service visit. So far, [knock knock] that's the only real issue we've discovered in our short ownership.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
IMO, this is something GM/Chevy needs to improve upon.

The current status/version and available updates for EVERY module should be published and available to the vehicle owner. Requiring a "concern" means that the vehicle fleet is going to be inconsistent and deteriorate the value of the vehicles.
Well GM (and myself included) happens to disagree but you're entitled to your opinion of course.
But this has very little impact on the "value" of the vehicle (you'd have to direct me to some sort of study or data that indicates otherwise).
If your car has something not working correctly, you take it in to your dealer.
If they verify the concern and determine there's a software update to address the condition- it gets installed.
Pretty simple.
WopOnTour

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I took my '13 in for the "delayed charge" fix and the "wind tunnel" bluetooth. I told the advisor about the bulletin. When I picked it up I was told the bulletin/patch did not apply to my VIN and was not installed but it is indeed FIXED! I also get better performance from the electric cabin heater. MUCH faster to come on. Something tells me the system software was re-loaded. No complaints here!!
You might have the optional Bose speaker system. (option code UQA) To clarify, this particular patch PIC5768 is specifically for 2013 models with non-Bose systems but with premium speaker package only (option code UZ6).
But that doesnt mean they might not have still applied another update to the radio or Onstar module. (obviously if there's been something fixed)
What does your copy of the repair order say? any "reprogramming"??
WOT

FYI-This particular patch doesnt apply to 2011-12 models as the Bluetooth transceiver "moved" from the Onstar module to the radio for MY2013

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
... To clarify, this particular patch PIC5768 is specifically for 2013 models with non-Bose systems but with premium speaker package only (option code UZ6).
But that doesnt mean they might not have still applied another update to the radio or Onstar module. (obviously if there's been something fixed)
What does your copy of the repair order say? any "reprogramming"??
WOT

FYI-This particular patch doesnt apply to 2011-12 models as the Bluetooth transceiver "moved" from the Onstar module to the radio for MY2013
Good to know before I ask for something that doesn't apply since ours has the Nav/Bose package. We included every option except the visor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an iPhone 4S and have the same poor sound / voice quality for outgoing and incoming calls only while the car is cruising above 30 MPH. I don't have this problem on my Mercedes GLK. I had simply assumed it was a poor noise cancellation feature on my Volt mic but thanks for the info on this thread I will reach out to my advisor. Also, thanks to CorsaTurboc, I will have them check my electric heater as it does not heat up quickly and can take 10 minutes after I turn on the heat. Forum has been very helpful for a new 2013 Volt owner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WopOnTour;223209]Besides the PIC5768 reflash, (applicable to non-Bose audio only) you might also want to check out any advice offered specific to your phone at

cellphone repair in regina (begin with "Select a Brand")

WOT[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for share. You have share most informative link and new for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts