GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I took my 2011 Volt to a dealership last Thursday because the blue OnStar button stopped working, and there is a check engine light on the display. The service writer told me there was a $98 diagnostic charge for each of the two problems. However, if it is determined they are covered by the warranty, there will not be a charge.

My question is, assuming the warranty is still in effect (should be, since I purchased the extended warranty when I bought the car, and it currently has 47k miles on it), how could either the check engine light or the blue OnStar button failure NOT be covered by warranty?

I just have the feeling I'm being set up. They called me the next day after I took it in to say they couldn't find the problem and asked if I need a loaner car. I declined since I have another car (Model S). Nice of them to offer, although I wonder why they didn't do that when I dropped the car off.

Also, does anybody have experience with the OnStar button ceasing to work?

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,413 Posts
First, I would think that the only thing that might cause it to not covered under warranty would be an accident that damaged something or you messing with the wiring or added something that is blocking the signal, etc.

Did you check fuses? Has your 36 months of free OnStar expired?

·
Registered
921 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, I would think that the only thing that might cause it to not covered under warranty would be an accident that damaged something or you messing with the wiring or added something that is blocking the signal, etc.

Did you check fuses? Has your 36 months of free OnStar expired?
I haven't had an accident. The only thing I've added was a dashcam that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but I did that a couple of years ago, so I wouldn't think it would affect OnStar now. No other changes to the wiring.

Stupidly :confused: I took the car to the dealer before checking this forum, hence I didn't think to check the fuses. But you'd think the dealer would be smarter than me and would find that right away, so I guess that's not it.

Will post the resolution, hopefully today!!:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is your compass working? if not then the communications module may need to be reseated
I'm sorry I didn't pay attention to that. Since the dealer has the car I can't check it right now.

3,600 Posts
I haven't had an accident. The only thing I've added was a dashcam that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but I did that a couple of years ago, so I wouldn't think it would affect OnStar now. No other changes to the wiring.

Stupidly :confused: I took the car to the dealer before checking this forum, hence I didn't think to check the fuses. But you'd think the dealer would be smarter than me and would find that right away, so I guess that's not it.

Will post the resolution, hopefully today!!:D

Hi HOUSTONVOLTAGE,

I apologize you are experiencing OnStar concerns and a check engine light. I’m glad you were able to get your car into the dealership to have it looked at. In regards to your warranty question, warranties sold through the dealerships are supported by different companies. Your dealership will be in the best position to address that question but if you are speaking about the GMPP, that is an extended service contract and not an extended warranty. The GMPP would be tied to your VIN and the dealership would be able to see this in their system. Also, all GM dealerships are independently owned and operated so they do charge diagnostic fees for vehicles who fall outside of the original bumper to bumper warranty. I hope this information is helpful. Please keep us updated on the resolution. If you run into any difficulties please do not hesitate to shoot me a message. I would be happy to reach out to your Volt Advisor on your behalf.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Also, all GM dealerships are independently owned and operated so they do charge diagnostic fees for vehicles who fall outside of the original bumper to bumper warranty.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Are you saying that diagnosing a problem covered by GMPP is not itself covered by GMPP?

3,600 Posts
Are you saying that diagnosing a problem covered by GMPP is not itself covered by GMPP?
Hi mikeg3,

That is a great question. Most of the time the diagnosis is covered under the GMPP, but that is not guaranteed in all situations. Your dealership is going to be in the best position to address this question based on that concern. Are you currently experiencing a concern with your Volt?

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi mikeg3,

That is a great question. Most of the time the diagnosis is covered under the GMPP, but that is not guaranteed in all situations. Your dealership is going to be in the best position to address this question based on that concern.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Katie, some of us are considering purchasing an extended service contract and your comments are of interest. Two questions: Can you distinguish an extended warranty from an extended service contract? Can you distinguish GMPP from GMEPP?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Let me explain extended warranty as someone who was a administrator years ago.

The diagnosis will be covered if the repair is covered. Meaning, you have a complaint of a Widget inoperative at times. You give the shop the OK to diag the concern....The concern is diagnosed and one of 2 things happen.

1) The part and the way it failed are covered under extended warranty. The diag in that case would be paid by the terms of the contract.

2) The repair is not covered, in that case you are responsible for the whole bill.

Understand, an extended warranty is a contract between you and the issuer to repair listed parts that fail in the listed way.

When you see it for what it is, a contract..... Then you will look at it and read what you are signing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got the car back. The check engine light was caused by the right front parking lamp. That cost $38.26 (parts and labor). The bill is a little murky on why OnStar failed. It just says "Cau module reset. remove inspect for power and ground reprogram updates wcc s1776 reprogram retest operation" That part cost $49.13. *update* I called back to ask more about this, but didn't learn anything. Basically they said the OnStar module had a software glitch and had to be reset. I'm not happy that a software glitch cost me $50. I guess its the price we pay for that magic "voice in the sky"! I may learn to do without it if it starts failing regularly. Oh, and "Cau module reset" is short for "Cause: module reset". Nice - they saved putting two letters at the end of the word and totally obliterated the meaning!

They gave me a ride back to my house when I dropped off the car, and came and picked me up when it was ready. Big thank-you to GM for that!

Overall, very happy with how it turned out.

The GMPP didn't save me anything though. It has a $100.00 deductible. Read the fine print! Probably shouldn't have bought it - looks like it will be wasted money unless something big breaks (and is covered) in the next year.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
The GMPP didn't save me anything though. It has a $100.00 deductible. Read the fine print! Probably shouldn't have bought it - looks like it will be wasted money unless something big breaks (and is covered) in the next year.
Mine has a $0 deductible, though I'll be happy if I never use it. Like fire insurance for my house.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Got the car back. The check engine light was caused by the right front parking lamp. That cost $38.26 (parts and labor). The bill is a little murky on why OnStar failed. It just says "Cau module reset. remove inspect for power and ground reprogram updates wcc s1776 reprogram retest operation" That part cost $49.13.

They gave me a ride back to my house when I dropped off the car, and came and picked me up when it was ready. Big thank-you to GM for that!

Overall, very happy with how it turned out.

Buying an extended warranty is like betting $2000 that your car will need more than $2000 in repairs . If it needed $1500 you still lose .

·
Registered
906 Posts
in today's world with crazy high car repair bills i just get new cars when the warranties start expiring... I keep them in like-new condition.. so I get good trade in value and I have the latest greatest technology and get to drive all different kinds of cool cars through the years..
-Christopher

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine has a $0 deductible, though I'll be happy if I never use it. Like fire insurance for my house.
Did you get the GM Protection Plan Major Gaurd? Or was it another plan? Good job getting one with no deductible!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hi mikeg3,

That is a great question. Most of the time the diagnosis is covered under the GMPP, but that is not guaranteed in all situations. Your dealership is going to be in the best position to address this question based on that concern. Are you currently experiencing a concern with your Volt?

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
The dealer didn't write the contract and doesn't pay for the work done. The servicing dealer didn't sell me the contract. Why would they be in the best position to interpret the contract?

3,600 Posts
Katie, some of us are considering purchasing an extended service contract and your comments are of interest. Two questions: Can you distinguish an extended warranty from an extended service contract? Can you distinguish GMPP from GMEPP?

Thank you in advance.
Hi Randl,

I’m happy to provide additional information and clarify the difference. An extended warranty is usually aftermarket and through a third party that covers repairs to correct any vehicle defect related to materials during that period of time. Different companies offer different coverage packages, so I would suggest researching different companies and what their coverage entails. Whereas, an extended service contract, such as GMPP, typically covers repairs for component failure only. A GMPP is officially endorsed by GM but is administered and underwritten by the member companies of the Ally Insurance Holdings. When you purchase a GMPP it would show up on a VIN scan because we endorse it. There are service contracts available for purchase that covers repair and labor costs for various concerns depending on the coverage you choose. Information about GMPP can be found here: http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/index.html. As for GMEPP, I’m assuming you are referring to our brand specific protection plan, Chevrolet Extended Protection, which is going to provide an extended protection that goes beyond your vehicle’s original warranty. There are numerous plans available and they can all be found here: http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html#nav_tablay_item_c1_3_1. I know it can be slightly confusing, but I hope I was able to answer your question effectively. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

3,600 Posts
The dealer didn't write the contract and doesn't pay for the work done. The servicing dealer didn't sell me the contract. Why would they be in the best position to interpret the contract?

Hi mikeg,
Your dealership is going to be in the best position because they are our eyes and ears in the field. Ultimately they are the ones who can diagnose the vehicle and can best determine if the vehicle repair falls within the parameters of GMPP. They work directly with the outside party who owns and writes the contract. I hope I was able to better answer your question and you find the information useful.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 19 of 19 Posts