GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

When I bought my car the blower didn't work. The owner had taken it to the dealer and they suggested it was probably the blower module (GM 22745409). Turns out that was it. But when I replaced the module I noticed the date was Jan 2015. Well my car is a 2011. Apparently this module was replaced before. And has also failed. I couldn't find much on the forum about this. Perhaps it's just my car. I made a little write up on how to change it and what the insides of the module looks like.

http://ev-36.blogspot.com/2018/09/blower-module.html


On mine it looked like water or some liquid got into the module. I added a rubber shield to the module to keep liquid that might drip from above off and therefore out of the module.

Thaniel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Good write-up. Quick question: What kind of climate are you in? Just curious if you're mostly running the heater or a/c. The only liquid that would remotely be in that region is either a/c condensation or coolant from the heater core.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good write-up. Quick question: What kind of climate are you in? Just curious if you're mostly running the heater or a/c. The only liquid that would remotely be in that region is either a/c condensation or coolant from the heater core.
Like your thinking. The owner was living just north of Baltimore. But in passing the owner mentioned being in Georgia for awhile too. Either area is humid for sure :)

I couldn't find much on the net discussing the module failure. Maybe my car is odd. But the fact the replacement part is out of stock with no ETA on when it'll be available..... makes me think perhaps it is more common.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
As an alternative to the rubber flap to divert drips, could the connector be sealed with an application of silicone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As an alternative to the rubber flap to divert drips, could the connector be sealed with an application of silicone?
I suppose in theory it'd be possible to seal it but expect it would be difficult. I did consider it for a brief moment. But there are 2 connectors. And the wires into each connector would have to be sealed (5 wires total). And then the Two connectors to the module sealed. And if going that way I'd also seal the seam where the aluminum bit is screwed to the plastic as that seam could also be a place for ingress. Many possible failure points. And working under the dash in that tight space it wouldn't be fun. Oh then if one wants to take the module out at a later date the connectors would be stuck on.

The rubber bit was super simple and easily reversible. And best I could tell I could drip liquid on it all day and nothing would get inside.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top