GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought home a new used 2012 Volt for the first time tonight. I was so excited to show it to the family and when I plugged it in the 110v factory charger it started flashing red lights and it said that it cannot charge. I was so disappointed. After messing around with it for awhile I decided to run an extionsion cord to an outside outlet on the house. This fixed it. Lights went solid green.

The garage is on its own 100 amp breaker box separate from the house. Could I have a faulty circuit? Is there a way to reset the charger? Any other ideas to try? Thanks

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad ground in the garage. Or the hot and neutral are reversed. Most EVSE's are really picky about neutrals and grounds. Have that garage outlet and breaker box checked by a good electrician.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The fact that it works when plugged into one outlet but faults when plugged into a different outlet suggests a faulty outlet or circuit. I'm assuming its charging when plugged into the outdoor outlet?
If you're knowledgeable about electricity and have the right tools (circuit tester, multimeter) it should be easy to troubleshoot.
It could be: worn out outlet, bad breaker, bad gfci (if installed), bad ground, or more serious problems like: poorly installed 100a breaker box, reversed wiring, improper ground/bonding, etc.
An electrician should be able to test it out quickly.

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
Problems usually boil down to low voltage, missing/bad ground, but reversed polarity is interesting as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts