GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As discussed here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=10781 I just received the email offering to let me keep the Blink charger on their data collection agreement for another year, in return for which they extend free maintenance. Downside appears to be the charger then doesn't revert to my ownership for another year.

I have mixed feelings about the Blink charger : for my needs, it's horribly over-engineered, with WiFi and a touch screen and software updates etc. etc. For timed charging, I'll use the Volt's timer. Basically, I just need the simplest level 2 charger out there. If I hold onto the Blink long term, I'm worried about all the complexity eventually breaking.

If there were a bare bones level 2 charger for $300ish I would consider selling the Blink.

Thoughts? Is there a market for used Blink chargers? Any recommendations for a bare-bones Level 2 charger to replace it?

· Registered
5,194 Posts
Any recommendations for a bare-bones Level 2 charger to replace it?
About the least expensive L2 EVSE available today is the Chevy Voltec unit. But you get what you pay for. For starters the Voltec is a 3,600 watt (15 amp) EVSE. While 3,600 watts is fine for the current generation of Volt... Your next EV will likely take advantage of higher charge rates. (Your Blink already has a 7,200 watt capacity.) There are some reliability issues with the $500 Voltec as well. The J1772 connectors are not as rugged at most other brands. A lot of Voltec owners have been reporting that the cable strain reliefs break off within a year of ownership.

If you can spend a bit more (Like $750 to $1500.) the GE Wattstation, SPX PowerXpress, Columb CT-500 and Leviton EVB32-5ML are some higher quality alternatives.

The basic $500 Voltec will charge your Volt. It will probably not be any more reliable than your current Blink. (Possibly LESS reliable.)

That's my 2 cents.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.