GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's about time. I received an email describing the changes a few minutes ago.

Introducing Kilowatt-Hour Pricing
In order to offer more competitive rates, CarCharging will introduce kWh pricing on charging stations owned by Blink and operated on the Blink Network in states where kWh pricing is permitted. Currently, these states include California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New York, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, and Washington, along with the District of Columbia. CarCharging is a proponent of kWh pricing because it is usage-based and EV drivers pay fees based on the actual amount of power consumed during the charging session rather than the amount of time that the car remains plugged into the station.

Fees for Level 2 EV charging stations owned by Blink and operated on the Blink Network in kWh eligible states will range from $0.39 to $0.79 per kWh, depending on the state and individual’s membership status. Fees for DCFC chargers owned by Blink and operated on the Blink Network in kWh eligible state will range from $0.49 to $0.69 per kWh, depending on the state and individual’s membership status.

Reduced Time-Based Charging Increments
To enhance our time-based charging policy, we will also reduce the time increment for stations owned by Blink and operated on the Blink Network located in states where kWh pricing is not permitted. Time-based charging fees will no longer be rounded to the nearest hour, but rather, up to the next 30-second interval. Fees for Level 2 charging stations owned by Blink and operated on the Blink Network in non-kWh eligible states will range from $0.04 to $0.06 per minute, depending on membership status.

· Banned
7,821 Posts
how could a state prohibit charging by the kilowatt hour?
Only electric utilities are allowed to bill by the kWh, unless the state grants an exception.

· Premium Member
19,942 Posts
Goes to show how used we are to cheap fuel. I look at $.39/kWh and think -- wow that is expensive -- but it's still less per mile than I'd pay to run my old ICE cars -- and not all that more expensive than I'd pay to run the Volt in CS Mode. Assuming I needed a charge, if it were convenient. But rarely do I need it and rarely, if ever, convenient.

how could a state prohibit charging by the kilowatt hour?
As part of many state's regulation of utilities, resale of electricity is prohibited. Not a bad thing if you think about apartments and office buildings. The prohibition against resale frequently comes down to prohibiting sales on a per kWh basis.

· Registered
210 Posts
This is what happens when outside companies buy US interests/companies. At the $0.39/kwh my Volt needs $5.16 worth of power to usually charge at the L2 rate. Perhaps as much as $5.65 for a little less that 4.5 hours. I can either pay this or buy/use a gallon of gas which cost me $3.75 or less for Premium. The Orlando area utility, OUC charges $0.13/KWH on chargepoint sites that they control. This new pricing will make Blink a very costly alternative to running the ICE. Maybe Leaf owners are now saddled with the new profit structure that's now in effect from Blink?????

· Registered
92 Posts
Yikes, they say it will make the rates more competitive, but the old rate here in California is ~$1/hr. With the Volt charging rate at ~3.3KW, that was effectively around $0.30 per kWh. If the rates are moving to $0.39 to $0.79/kWh, their pricing is going up.

· Registered
521 Posts
At the $0.39/kwh my Volt needs $5.16 worth of power to usually charge at the L2 rate.
Yeah, at $1/hr a sub-4 hour charge came out to be the same as Premium gas. This is a higher charge for cheaper base "fuel" cost, cheaper distribution, cheaper delivery system than gasoline.

Interesting point about BEVs being sadled with opportunistic (ie: "premium") fuel pricing.

But Blink is in it to create cash flow, not invest in future cash flow.. They should be asking WWMD! (What Would Musk Do)

· Registered
334 Posts
The idea is to put in place a pricing setup for future vehicles and BEVs that absolutely need a charge. We drive Volts and many of us do hold up chargers for BEVs who don't have the option. This pricing structure accomplishes two things. It gets EREVs and PHEVs out of the way while still being priced at a reasonable level for BEVs given current infrastructure constraints. I see no problem with this.

If you want to use public stations for environmental reasons then pay the higher cost or purchase a BEV and increase your EV range from home.

· Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most time when I use Blink, I only need a little bit to finish my drive 100% EV. So 1-2kWh may be all I need, plus with the ability to remote stop may end up saving me money when I do use a public Blink charger.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Remember, those price comparisons are based on current gasoline prices ... Which don't trend downward too much.

I continue to believe that the "gas station" model of refueling isn't an attractive short term approach to increasing EVSE deployments. Instead, it's about progressive businesses being able to demonstrate that EVSE's attract certain kinds of consumers. Or matching to their consumers (like Whole Foods or Costco).

· Registered
1,237 Posts
plus with the ability to remote stop may end up saving me money when I do use a public Blink charger.
I wasn't aware that Blink had a remote stop feature. I haven't downloaded the new ChargePoint app update because it does eliminate the remote stop feature.

· Banned
7,821 Posts
I still think a flat subscription based method is the way to go for public EVSE charging networks. Still offer a per kWh/time option, but a "$25 for 3/6 months of service" seems to be desirable, at least to me.

· Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't aware that Blink had a remote stop feature. I haven't downloaded the new ChargePoint app update because it does eliminate the remote stop feature.
I read it wrong, looks like remote start is available, but not remote stop. I did not know that ChargePoint removed the remote stop ability. I have to see which version I have installed in my BlackBerry next time I use a ChargePoint station.

Here are the details for the change in Blink for remote start.

Program Eligibility and Remote Start Functionality
To enhance the EV charging experience, stations on the Blink Network that participate in specific promotions or programs, such as Nissan’s No Charge to Charge, will also display its participation on the station’s screen. Additionally, after a program participant’s card is swiped at the participating station, the appropriate program information will be displayed. CarCharging will also introduce remote start functionality via Blink Customer Support. On the driver’s behalf, Blink's Customer Support will be able to initiate charging sessions remotely. CarCharging anticipates expanding this functionality to the Blink and CarCharging mobile applications in the immediate future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.