GM Volt Forum banner

Blink & Burn ($)

1721 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  bro1999
Blink has indeed raised rates.. to be way higher than gasoline... ugh. I really do want them to succeed but they are pricing themselves out of customers IMHO.

Some math... 2 cents every 30 seconds = 4 cents/min or $2.40/hour.
10mi/hr (at 3.3KW) at best would be 24 cents per mile!
Gas at $3.50/gal at 38 MPG = 9.21 cents per mile.
Charging at home costs 3.25 cents per mile.

And who picked 2 cents per half minute? The obvious price obfuscation is what insults me more than the painfully high price. So there it is...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
589 Posts
Sounds like they based those rates off of cars with much higher charging rates (which is why I think they should charge by kWh, not total time). A tesla can charge at up to 80 A (I think), which means that the cost for charging would be around 4.5 c/mi at that max rate. Even a Leaf which can do a 6.6 kW charge rate would drop it to 12 c/mi, which is just a bit more than gas.

All this makes a good case for having a faster charger in gen 2 volt. If the public/pay per use charging infrastructure develops more around the pay-per-time model rather than pay-per-kWh, it will have a big impact on people considering a volt vs an EV with a quicker charge rate...at least in areas where public/pay charging stations are convenient to use....

· Registered
3,881 Posts
I was on the $1 an hour plan and I thought that was too much.

I do plan to keep my card as it is the ONLY card I have with a chip ;-)

· Banned
7,821 Posts
So now you can see in much more detail how much you are being raped by Blink. Awesome. There are no Blink chargers in my area, so it doesn't really matter to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.