GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Blind Spot Monitoring supposed to make noise? If so, can you make it louder?

I read the manual but still having trouble trying to figure it out!

Thanks

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Thank you! At least you tried. :) I don't have a Gen 2 with this, but I'm sure someone who does can help answer.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Is the Blind Spot Monitoring supposed to make noise? If so, can you make it louder?

Thanks
Page 202 of the 2016 Owners Manual:

It appears a physical indicator shows up in the left or right side view mirror. No mention of a sound of any kind.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I hope not. In the traffic pattern around DFW there is likely someone in both blind spots all the time.

ELR has a noise/seat-buzz for lane departure warning. Blind-spot is mirror signals only.

I turned off the dang lane departure warning. It is really annoying.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There's no noise related to the Blind Spot monitoring. It illuminates in the side view mirrors when someone is in your blind spot. If you activate your turn signal when there's a car in the blind spot, the light in the mirror flashes.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have found that the small, amber alert light is an ineffective warning. I would like to see a slightly larger, really bright red alert.
I suppose this feature has been well-researched by the industry, but for me, a chime like the exceed-the-speed limit one would also be nice.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I have found that the small, amber alert light is an ineffective warning. I would like to see a slightly larger, really bright red alert.
I suppose this feature has been well-researched by the industry, but for me, a chime like the exceed-the-speed limit one would also be nice.
You might see brighter, but since the alert is external and could possibly be visible to other drivers, it probably won't be red. The lights aren't on the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2016 Volt with Blind Spot Monitoring, but just a couple of days ago came across this information in the links below;

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rear‐View-Mirrors-to-Eliminate-Blind-Spots
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots
http://seniordriving.aaa.com/improve-your-driving-skills/prepare-drive/how-use-adjust-your-mirrors

What it comes down to is, if you adjust your side view mirrors outward from the more typical positions, they will show you anything in your blind spot. Cars in adjacent lanes behind you 1st appear in your rear view mirror towards the center, and move to the side as they get closer. when they get to the edge of the rear view mirror, they then appear in the side view mirrors.

I tried it, and it does in fact work, but as they explain, takes a bit to get use to. Once you do, they say it's much better than the alternative. The main disadvantage is that you don't see the edges of your car, which may be a bit better for parking, but that's at low speed, vs an accident at high speed into a blind spot. One of my cars has a side mirror setting for going forward, and a different one for reverse, which, for that car, may eliminate this disadvantage.

However, the Blind spot monitoring by the Volt is still good (and if it saves you from even one accident is worth it), but may not be as much a necessity with adjusted mirrors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well...I'll tell you that I like the Honda/Acura version a bit better... The indicator is inside of the car instead of out on the mirror like in some implementations and in some models if you use the turn signal for a lane change (I know...I know...who in the *$(% does that right?) it will flash and has a setting for a audible warning.

I look at all of these things as just additional driving tools. Are they absolutely necessary? Heck no...but used correctly in the right circumstances, they can help make things safer and more convenient.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a 2016 Volt with Blind Spot Monitoring, but just a couple of days ago came across this information in the links below....
Most people have their mirrors positioned incorrectly. If you set it up correctly, each mirror has very little overlap and you should be able to see cars in a full 180 degrees in the 3 mirrors and peripheral vision without moving your head.

If, from your normal driving position, you can see down the side of your car in your side mirrors, they are positioned incorrectly.
If you can see the car behind you in your lane in the side mirrors, you have them positioned incorrectly.

With my last 3 cars I have used this tip to position mirrors correctly. For the left mirror. Lean over from the normal driving position until your head touches the window/pillar. Adjust the mirror so you can just start to see the side of your car. For the right side, lean over and place your head above the arm rest and align the mirror so you can just start to see the side of the car.

That should put the mirrors close to where they need to be. Now watch traffic as it moves around you. Cars in your rear mirror should start to leave the mirror at the same time as they show up in the side mirrors and they should leave the side mirrors when they start to enter your peripheral vision.

This won't be an issue in the near future with the 360 degrees of cameras being put on cars.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, not sure why GM didn't use an audible beep along with the blindspot warning. I drove a Mercedes with blindspot and it has both a warning light and an audible tone. In the Volt, if the blindspot warning is flashing, as in you signaled to enter a lane with a car in your blindspot, it should beep along with the flash. Not sure why they didn't do this or if they did and it's in the options, they should rethink the layout of the options because more than one person can't find it.

V

·
0 Posts
I strong suggest that volt's changing lane light should with warning sound when turn signal switch active to left or right when detected blind spot car. Lane departure waring should have audio warning which could be selected from the vehicle setting. I guess software may a little complicate, but that are what a good software engineer will attractive more customers like Tesla is doing.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I strong suggest that volt's changing lane light should with warning sound when turn signal switch active to left or right when detected blind spot car. Lane departure waring should have audio warning which could be selected from the vehicle setting. I guess software may a little complicate, but that are what a good software engineer will attractive more customers like Tesla is doing.
There is no question that the Lane Change Warning should also have an audible alert. Some of the more advanced systems out there have it, and it provides an extra level of safety.

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah, not sure why GM didn't use an audible beep along with the blindspot warning.
Probably because A.) On a busy freeway, it would drive you NUTS! - You would be getting a warning every few seconds from one side or the other and owners would quickly scramble for some way to turn that annoying noise OFF! . . . . .and B.) You don't need to know when someone is in your blind spot unless you want to make a lane change and . . . . if you hit your turn signal while someone IS in your blind spot, you do get an audible warning, and that's the only time you really need one

GM got it exactly right on this one, IMO

Don

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Probably because A.) On a busy freeway, it would drive you NUTS! - You would be getting a warning every few seconds from one side or the other and owners would quickly scramble for some way to turn that annoying noise OFF! . . . . .and B.) You don't need to know when someone is in your blind spot unless you want to make a lane change and . . . . if you hit your turn signal while someone IS in your blind spot, you do get an audible warning, and that's the only time you really need one

Don
It would not drive you crazy at all -- unless you are about to hit someone. The beep (on most other brands) only comes on when you initiate your turn signal and there is someone in your blind spot. That's exactly the time you want to be specifically and audibly warned that you should not do what you are about to do. Otherwise the system is silent while cars go by, and the little mirror lights come and go as cars pass, just as they do today on the Chevy.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
. . . . if you hit your turn signal while someone IS in your blind spot, you do get an audible warning, and that's the only time you really need one

Don
So how do you turn this audible alert on? Mine does NOT make any sound.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
So how do you turn this audible alert on? Mine does NOT make any sound.
You don't. GM does NOT have to ability to audibly alert you when someone is in your blind spot and you hit the turn signal. All it does is blink the light in the side view mirror. And assuming you are looking at it rather than ahead of you, and there is no fog, or there is no sunlight reflecting off the mirror, you might see it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You don't. GM does NOT have to ability to audibly alert you when someone is in your blind spot and you hit the turn signal. All it does is blink the light in the side view mirror. And assuming you are looking at it rather than ahead of you, and there is no fog, or there is no sunlight reflecting off the mirror, you might see it.
Don M indicates that his does.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Don M indicates that his does.
I'd like to hear a recording.

From the manual (emphasis added):

"If equipped, the SBZA system is a
lane-changing aid that assists
drivers with avoiding crashes that
occur with moving vehicles in the
side blind zone (or spot) areas.