GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simply...
Are you going to "blind order" the Bolt (no test drive) as soon as GM accepts orders?
Are you going to decide after a test drive in the Bolt?
Are you going to see how the Bolt shakes out with new owners then make your decision?

I was originally going to "blind order" once the ordering process opened up. But, after considering that deliveries will not realistically start till Nov/Dec or later and I'm in the northeast- I'm now planning on riding out the winter in the 2014 Volt and paying close attention to what kind of range hit the Bolt takes in brutal climates... then make the decision in the spring.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I'll blind order. Didn't even test drive the last 2 cars I acquired.

I have a Spark EV, which should be a good enough "preview" of the Bolt for me.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I hardly ever buy a 1st year new design vehicle. I did recently buy a 2014 ELR (first year), but, it was half price and based on the 2010 Volt design.

I won't be buying a Bolt until they have ACC. Probably not then either. The car is just not exciting to me.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'll wait until I can take the Bolt for a test drive before ordering - mostly because due to circumstances I likely won't be making my purchase until late summer 2017. In fact the timing is such that by that time I'll probably know if ACC will be available on the the 2018 model, and if it is I may choose to wait for it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I will never buy a Bolt. My trips into remote wilderness areas cannot rely on an all-electric propulsion system. From my experience with the Volt, you should anticipate a loss of around 50 miles of range in winter driving conditions, meaning that you will likely have a reliable range of around 150 miles. When the temperature drops to a windchill of -70 degrees, I do not want to hike home, which I once was forced to do when the starter battery in my vehicle froze solid while driving home from Green Bay, Wisconsin.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
If Chevy does their normal "not available in Illinois" initial rollout, then I will be ordering later. I would like to see the car and test drive it before ordering. I'd like to take delivery in May, same as my Volt.

I bought the 1st year Volt, and it's a great car. In fact, it's had fewer issues than later Volts based on what's been posted here. Like year 1 Volt, I think Chevy has a lot riding on year 1 Bolt. So they may take greater pains to get it right before "slacking off" on later years.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
You can blind order now, test drive and THEN decide if it's for you...Additionally, if you always not accept delivery and re-order in the spring...If you order on the first day orders open a dealer really won't care if you refuse delivery as he'll have one first waves of Bolt EVs sitting on his lot...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Simply...
Are you going to "blind order" the Bolt (no test drive) as soon as GM accepts orders?
Are you going to decide after a test drive in the Bolt?
Are you going to see how the Bolt shakes out with new owners then make your decision?

I was originally going to "blind order" once the ordering process opened up. But, after considering that deliveries will not realistically start till Nov/Dec or later and I'm in the northeast- I'm now planning on riding out the winter in the 2014 Volt and paying close attention to what kind of range hit the Bolt takes in brutal climates... then make the decision in the spring.
I also bought my last two cars blind (including my Volt). I don't care much about driving fun/performance/comfort. I'm purely about the practicality of it, and it was plain to see the Volt had everything I wanted there, and was the ONLY car that had those things. Perhaps if it had a comparable competitor, I would've done test drives. The Prius, Leaf, Insight are not comparable, in my opinion, because they do not allow for 50+ miles of EV-only operation, while also offering a gasoline backup.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If I blind order, and then do not accept delivery (for whatever reason), do I lose my order deposit?
GM won't accept deposits, however an individual dealership might and can dictate their own rules...Point being if you're on the fence, ensure that you're told it's refundable in writing or find a dealer who don't require a deposit...

FYI, I wasn't here for the Gen1 delivers but was for the Gen2...Saw a half dozen cases where folks pre-ordered and when it came time to accept delivery discovered the dealers were demanding prices around MSRP despite the fact Costco program was selling under invoice and included a holiday bonus $700 gift card...See if you can negotiate some kind of terms during the preorder, there was a dealer here who would do it for $500 under invoice (required a $500 refundable deposit)...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I will order one next year after production ramps up a bit. Ordering when first available does not leave a lot of negotiating power to the buyer.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I dont see anything wrong with a blind order and I think the car looks good and even the minimal road tests have been strong but I cannot imagine that you would have much negotiating leverage. You might not have much for awhile anyway, so if you want to be the new kid on the block, and are worried about being behind a long list, queue it up!

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
If I were interested in a Bolt, I'd wait until year 3 after introduction as by then it will seem long in the tooth and other new cars will get people's interest and admiration. That's when the deals will be found. For those who have to always have the newest toys, you're unnecessarily spending money up the wazoo (which is fine if you've got money up the wazoo...but horrible if you are living paycheck to paycheck).

2013-15 Volts were close to half price of the original volt MSRP. 2014 ELRs were close to half price in 2015. So 2019 will be an awesome year to buy a Bolt. 2018 might be a great year to buy a g2 Volt (given it was originally released in 2015). I hope the same holds true for the CT6 PHEV in 2019

·
Registered
789 Posts
It seems to me that some EVs do not hold their value very well at all. For example it's not uncommon to browse eBay and see '12-'13 Nissan Leafs going for around $10k with relatively low mileage. Even the Gen1 Volts are in the teens price-wise. If I were considering the Bolt (and I am not at this point in time; the range is not enough for me to get to/from work on days when I need to go in), I'd wait 2-3 years and see how the first gen cars hold up both in value and reliability.

·
Registered
130 Posts
"decide after a test drive in the Bolt" but if my dealer allows no deposit on order. I will do that first then test drive, if test drive is good then this would work for me.

I have been saving the cash for Volt and then the Bolt EV came along - So I am ready to jump on once the test drive proves a go.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I will be "blind ordering" as I have done with my last three cars. Well, I did test drive my first Volt as a formality, but that was only so I could acquaint myself with the layout and functionality.

In regards to the depreciation, I'm sure the Bolt will depreciate quickly, but I'm not sure that it will depreciate faster than most of the other EVs after the Federal and state rebates are accounted for. I figure the potential savings from waiting will be a wash because I'll be saving at least $100 a month in fueling costs (more if gas goes up in price). Also, if I can sign the paperwork in November or December, I'll have less than a three-month wait for the $10,000 in rebates, which will either pay off most of my other debts or the Bolt itself (if I end up taking out a small loan on it).

Besides which, there is the principle of the matter to consider as well.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I would have blind ordered several vehicles over my lifetime and been happy with the results... except they were all popular vehicles subject to dealer markup at the time I would have been willing to blind order them, so I ended up waiting 6 months or more on each one.

After I read reviews, specs, and do a crap load of research I know weather or not I want a vehicle, a new car test drive especially in a performance car on public streets is sort of silly. If they let me take it to an autocross or drag strip a test drive may not be completely useless. A used car is a whole different story... on those the test drive is to find problems that they can either fix, or lower the price in compensation.

Keith

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've only test driven a handful of cards I never actually test drove. The big one being in 08 Z06 -- I knew from a simple ridealong with a friend I had to have one, bought one across the country from a dealer without ever test driving :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
You can always cancel or back-out so why not...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts