GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Power off the car and try again. Also press the OnStar button to see if there are any codes. On Gen 1 the center stack had to be replaced in many vehicles due to defective parts.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power off the car and try again. Also press the OnStar button to see if there are any codes. On Gen 1 the center stack had to be replaced in many vehicles due to defective parts.
Have tried several power off and lock/unlock combos. Nothing. Onstar reported no codes and the Infotainment support center is closed... Any other ideas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
It has happened to my before as well. I had to power off the car, close the door and walk away with the key fob. When I returned to the car and started it, the screen came back. Worth a try if you haven't tried this yet.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has happened to my before as well. I had to power off the car, close the door and walk away with the key fob. When I returned to the car and started it, the screen came back. Worth a try if you haven't tried this yet.
Many times. Tried it while locking the doors with the fob, with the button, and leaving it unlocked. Nada.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interestingly, the touchscreen still works. I can touch where I know the buttons are, and things change, like the preset station.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery ground?
You need a 10mm nut driver or wrench to do so.
I keep one in my car.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
if you take the car in odds are the dealer will re-set the 12 volt battery so some items will get reset.

yearly inspection flags may be the only ones that will take a few days to recover.

Ground is the NOT + side of the battery in the back of the car - under the cover where the extra items are stored.

·
Registered
968 Posts
A little late to the party, but a few of us have had this happen to us and covered it in another thread.

The thing that worked for us was taking the FOB far away for some time maybe an hour or two. The black screen happened to me 2-3 times on my way to work or some to a long event that had me taking the FOB far away, then I'd return later and find everything was fine.

When this happens yes the screen is active but black. Each time it happened i used the drivers display and steering wheel control to flip through music stations.

Is it possible that where you place your keys is close to the car? Maybe put them on the far side of the house for a couple hours then check. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We had this happen but didn't have radio or anything for an entire drive. I had my wife pop the hood and I was trying to get the panel open and it just came back on.

Odd.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had it happen 5 times since 2000 miles (now 6600). Taking it in Thursday but I'm confident they will say checked and found okay as the service chief said he had never had the problem before. We have not been able to figure out why it goes out, nor why it comes back on.

ChuckJ

·
Registered
125 Posts
For Gen1 volt, there is a voice command "Display off" to turn off the display (similarly Display on). but it no longer works on my gen 2. maybe there is something else that turned off the display on your car. you just need to find the magic word to turn it back on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This happened to my 2017 Chevy. Less than 2000 miles. Both times after I walked away from the car with the keyfob and came back it was working.

What I don't understand is why is this happening? This is a new vehicle from GM plant. I thought I was the only person having this issue. Any chance there is a faulty component?

·
Registered
968 Posts
This happened to my 2017 Chevy. Less than 2000 miles. Both times after I walked away from the car with the keyfob and came back it was working.

What I don't understand is why is this happening? This is a new vehicle from GM plant. I thought I was the only person having this issue. Any chance there is a faulty component?
The few times it happened to me happened in the first 5 month of ownership then I had the Android Auto update in March and i don't believe I've had the issue since. During my AA update, they did replace the HMI module. So if it were a faulty part, i would guess that component but that is pure speculation and could be a mere coincidence. There have been a few threads about this issue so if one really wants to find a commonality then they should search the few threads for more help.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Oddly, this just happened in our Volt. On her way home tonight, my wife did some sort of sequence shifting into "R", then "L", and then the infotainment screen went blank. Radio was working - volume knob worked, steering wheel volume and favorites paddles all worked. Drivers screen was fine.

Waiting a couple of hours didn't help. What did help was pulling fuses 25 ("display") and 26 ("infotainment") in the panel to the left of the steering wheel, waiting a minute or so, then re-inserting them. Upon powering up the car, MyLink rebooted and all is now well.

I thought I was fairly up to date on firmware updates, but maybe not?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts