GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people have done or discussed this so I thought I would post my Plastidipped grilles. Before and after attached, four coats of black Plastidip and one coat of Plastidip glossifier.

20160322_180528.jpg 20160507_193533.jpg

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Maybe it is my age, but I like the "before" a little better - particularly on a red car. It makes the Volt look like a "cheap" econo box. If you would have left the surrounding trim as bright work I would maybe go for it.

Just my opinion.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I like it. It pulls in the black areas of the headlights and DRLs, and tones down the dopey grin on the lower grille.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it is my age, but I like the "before" a little better - particularly on a red car. It makes the Volt look like a "cheap" econo box. If you would have left the surrounding trim as bright work I would maybe go for it.

Just my opinion.

VIN # B0985
I was actually going to pull the trim pieces and put them back to chrome so it's not all black. Leaving it this way a couple days to see how I like it. Most likely will pull the dip off the trim parts.

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
To me, it looks like an air-breathing gas car rather than an electric. A Cruze if you will.

·
Registered
568 Posts
wonder how this would look on a Heather grey model.

At first I wasn't a big fan of the big bright metal front grills... but it doesn't seem near as bad from when I first saw it.

Only plastidipping I will probably go with is doing the base model stock wheels in an anthricite grey - should be pretty damn spiffy on the heather grey 2017 I'm waiting to be built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH7PnZH00RA

(video of them doing an audi wheel in that color) I think it's amazing looking.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
You know, someone needs to dip their grill glow in the dark green or blue and take a pic at night. That would be wicked.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I am old fashioned. I like chrome bumpers, trim and wheels.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am kind of thinking of blacking out my grille as well, but I don't have my Volt yet, waiting for the adaptive cruise control option. So I have a question. Will blacking out the grille affect the ACC? Isn't the 'sensor' in the grille? (If not, where is it?)

·
Registered
902 Posts
The whole fake grill idea is a design flop. The front of a Volt should simply be a smooth taper of the body color. No grill. No fake plastic chrome. General Motors should hire better designers.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
The whole fake grill idea is a design flop. The front of a Volt should simply be a smooth taper of the body color. No grill. No fake plastic chrome. General Motors should hire better designers.
GM's a pretty conservative company -- They don't think the general public would go for a change like "no grill at all". They're probably right.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think you are forgetting that they still need to get air for the ICE. The grilles aren't completely blocked. I think it would look worse if it was just an inch wide slit there and nothing around it. That said it does look better on certain colors (like silver).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the idea of blacking out the front grill, but I would leave the silver and gold Chevrolet bowtie as is. I may play around with photoshop a bit.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I don't dislike it.
I sure like it better than the big, stock, metal smile bit.

I went black with chrome around the edges on my Gen 1.

If I had a neato-red gen 2 I think I would probably have "smoked" the metal as opposed to pure black, and probably still have left the chrome edges.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
I like the idea of blacking out the front grill, but I would leave the silver and gold Chevrolet bowtie as is. I may play around with photoshop a bit.
MIster Dave already Supplied plenty of Photoshop example immediately after the initial G2 reveal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am kind of thinking of blacking out my grille as well, but I don't have my Volt yet, waiting for the adaptive cruise control option. So I have a question. Will blacking out the grille affect the ACC? Isn't the 'sensor' in the grille? (If not, where is it?)
I dipped both the upper and lower grills, but not the chrome trim around the borders. It had no impact on the ACC. I didn't like both grills being black, so I removed the black from the top. There is a radar behind the Chevy emblem. It works in conjunction with a camera in the rear view mirror area that looks out the front of the windshield.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it looks awesome all black....seems to be an age thing...the older you are the more you like chrome. I just blacked mine out as well 6 coats of black. Looks awesome to which is all that matters really.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts