GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, I was charging my Siren Red Volt at my favorite charging station near the Red Robin Gourmet Burgers in Woodland, California, the same block where Best Buy, CostCo and Target stores are located.

Then I got a text that my charging was interrupted and so checked my App to find out that it was unplugged. I was only just 35% charged. So I went to the station, and there was this black Volt next to mine, having the plug transferred into the Black Volt.

I would have unplugged it in retaliation to get the owner's attention but I chose not to, and instead wrote a note and left it on the windshield.

You know, if you are in this forum, please PM me. There is no reason why you should do it. You have a Volt, and there's a CostCo gas station if you really need to move about! The Gen 2 Volt's charging lights are flashing if the charge is not yet complete. It would be non-blinking green light when charging is done. Maybe you didn't know about that. I did not set the alarm for interruption so as not to annoy the people eating there.

Also, there are 120V/240V dual outlets there that you can plug-in your portable EVSE if all the J1992 plugs are taken. The EVSE will fit into those outlets. There's room for two more EV's from the outlets.

Other people charging there have proper etiquette. What you should have done when you're parked next to me, is to leave your charge port open. When people are done charging, they would put the plug into your charging port. I do that whenever the station is full and I don't have my portable EVSE with me. When I come back, somebody already plugged me in. And I would do the same for them.

After my car is fully charged, rest assured that I will be there within 5 minutes or less. And after I unplug, I look for other EV's parked with open charging ports and I plug them in.

Update: The Volt Owner left me a note yesterday apologizing that he/she wasn't aware that the next generation Volt has a different indication of fully charged. Apology accepted. Thanks everyone for hearing me out!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
They should know this but maybe they are not aware that the charge indicator for a Gen 2 is exactly opposite of the Gen 1. The Gen 1 models indicator flashes when charging is complete, maybe they thought yours was complete.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a similar experience with a C-Max. However, we were able to talk it out. I am glad you didn't go the low road and retaliate.

Protip: Have the alarm come off when it is unplugged ;) There I fixed it for ya!

I completely understand how you must have felt. I really think this is the key problem of EV ownership/PHEV. The infrastructure is not at all even close to demand for electric charging infrastructure.

Near where I live, there is only two EV stations. Both are free I may add, provided by Xcel Energy through GE partnership. There is always a Rav 4 EV and a Leaf permanently on those chargers. I can only imagine as the market shifts towards larger inefficient vehicles there will be a flood of used/former lease vehicles and nothing near the capacity for chargers.

This was the main reason I didn't get a very very cheap Leaf. The problem is, the public simply isn't informed *yet* about this so called etiquette. Remember, when used Volts are priced at 12K etc that will attract the unwashed masses.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
They should know this but maybe they are not aware that the charge indicator for a Gen 2 is exactly opposite of the Gen 1. The Gen 1 models indicator flashes when charging is complete, maybe they thought yours was complete.
And some EVs like i3 and Tesla may stop reporting any charging status after a few minutes have passed.

I find that charging station indicators are the best bet. Most public charging stations have a charging indicator.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
This is what I was thinking, a simple misunderstanding. Why Chevy changed the indicator is beyond me, but the universal "fully charged" symbol on nearly everything, from hand tools to car battery chargers is solid green. Flashing red, yellow, or green can mean charging, or solid yellow or red can mean charging, but all seem to agree that Solid Green is complete. I think even the Clipper Creek Solid Green should have been flashing on their EVSE's. Instead it means charging. When complete, the light is off.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
99% chance it was confusion over the indicator, which is oddly opposite. No Volt owner would have committed an etiquette violation like that. I have been unplugged a few times, but only by Leaf drivers. And it doesn't really bother me because I feel sorry for them. The industry really needs a standard indicator. The indicators on public EVSEs are equally confusing and sometimes broken.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have been unplugged a few times, but only by Leaf drivers. And it doesn't really bother me because I feel sorry for them. The industry really needs a standard indicator. The indicators on public EVSEs are equally confusing and sometimes broken.
In all fairness, you are far, far (FAR) more likely to get into a 'won't make it home' scenario with a LEAF than with a VOLT, for obvious reasons. All VOLTS are opportunity charging in public (free) stations. #NotAllLeafs

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
'I have attached the picture of your Volt, and I know your VIN and your license plate. I have blotted those info out for now, unless I hear from you.'

Where does threatening to reveal the plate and VIN #s fit into the code of ethics for public charging?

·
4,851 Posts
I'm certain they thought you were done charging due to the reversed indicators between Gen 1 and Gen 2. A magnet like referenced above can remove the ambiguity.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
'I have attached the picture of your Volt, and I know your VIN and your license plate. I have blotted those info out for now, unless I hear from you.'

Where does threatening to reveal the plate and VIN #s fit into the code of ethics for public charging?
Many people post pictures in the Hall of Shame walls in various places. Pictures of those who ICE'd them in EV spots. Even videos and pictures of carpool lane violators and speeders in YouTube.

After hearing various other member's voices, rest assured that I wouldn't post the license plates and VIN. That's why I like this forum.

·
Registered
253 Posts
In all fairness, you are far, far (FAR) more likely to get into a 'won't make it home' scenario with a LEAF than with a VOLT, for obvious reasons. All VOLTS are opportunity charging in public (free) stations. #NotAllLeafs
While true, they should have taken that into consideration when deciding what to buy.
As they say, A failure to plan on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
#YouBoughtTheWrongCarLeafOwners

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
While I understand the ire that the OP feels,

Nothing burned to the ground
Nobody died
Everyone went home

Sounds like a pretty good day to me.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
While true, they should have taken that into consideration when deciding what to buy.
As they say, A failure to plan on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
#YouBoughtTheWrongCarLeafOwners
You make a good point, but I bet there are at least a few Leaf owners who were counting on that full EPA range estimate and were surprised to find out that real-world range can be very different, especially with some age on the car. I know that driving my Volt for a while has given me a better appreciation for those variables. Without some care, I come up short of EPA numbers even in the summer. In cold weather, the difference is definitely eye-opening and not something I fully expected when I bought the car. Fortunately with a Volt, that is not much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Ah, but somebody was deprived of about 50 cents worth of free electricity! What an abomination!
LOL! The Volt would eat up 17 kWh of electricity from the meter, and if you don't have TOU in California, and bumped you up into Tier 4, that would be more than the price of Starbucks Venti Mocha! Everything's expensive in California, including the mocha.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts