GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been driving my 2012 Volt for about a year now. Yesterday I had a very strange bug occur with the parking assist. I was backing out of my garage as usual. It's typical for the front sensors to trigger as I pass through the garage door opening. The beeping tones increase to a solid tone as I get closer to the door opening.

This time the solid tone stayed ON. It would not stop even though I was out in the open. Next I tried to press the park assist power button on the roof console to silence the tone. The Tone persisted. Next I tried to shut the car OFF. The Tone persisted. Next I opened the door to power down the entertainment system. The Tone persisted. Now my car is sitting with the ignition shut OFF and the door open and the screaming tone persisted. I got out of the car to see if something was stuck on the sensor. Nothing was there. Just a nice clean bumper.

Thinking that this was some sort of communication error and the module that generates the tone did not get the silence command... I decided to get back in the car and turn it back on and trigger the sensor again to re-establish communication. I got in the car started it back up and shifted the car into reverse. The tone persisted. Finally I backed the car near another vehicle and the normal beeping pattern returned. As I moved away the tone silenced as normal. Problem solved. The problem has not happened again.

TIP: If your park assist tone ever gets stuck on... The only way to silence it is to drive it back up close to another object until the beeping pattern returns.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, this has happened to others; my "solution" wasn't the same as yours, so I think your tip is based on the coincidence of when it decided to stop.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?15037-Parking-sensor-wouldn-t-stop
I read the thread. I can specifically say that in my case none of the remedies mentioned worked for me. More specifically:

1. It was the FRONT sensor that caused the issue. (Not the rear sensor.)

2. Repeatedly pressing the Park assist feature button on the roof console did NOT silence the tone.

3. Shutting the car OFF and opening the drivers door did NOT silence the tone.

4. Waiting over a minute did NOT silence the tone.

The only thing that silenced the tone was starting the car and driving it back into proximity of an obstacle where the normal pattern of beeps was re-established.

3,606 Posts
@ Fulgerite,

That is very strange. Glad to hear you were able to finally get the beeping to stop. Please let us know if you run into this again. This is definitely something we might want to look further into.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had the same problem four or five times. Mine will usually stop if I turn the car off and open the door for a few seconds. It's very annoying but I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This happened to me yesterday. First time. 2011 model. Could not get the front high pitch tone to stop. Turning parking assist off and powering the car down did not stop it. Opening the door didn't work. Only powering the car down, getting out of the car, and then closing the driver's door made it stop. Freaky.

There has been no explanation yet as to what is causing this problem. Bug on sensor? Buggy software push?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Eeee.

That would drive me crazy.

First thing I do after turning on the car is reaching up to turn off the booping sound. I like the camera, the alert sound does my head in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts