GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was really strange! Driving on Whidbey Island this weekend and stopped to shop in Coupville. Drove into the outdoor public parking lot that had about a dozen cars in it. Found a safe spot but heard a car alarm going off in the Subaru Legacy a few cars away. Turned of the Volt and the Legacy alarm turned off. Thought nothing of it, figured it was a simple alarm time out reset. Got out of the Volt and started walking away. Pushed the door lock button on my Volt FOB and the Alarm on the Legacy started up again. Hmmm... hit the Lock button again...alarm turned off...again..turned back on...did this several times ( it was kinda fun ). Subaru owner was nowhere to be found but I hoped his key FOB wouldn't do the same to my VOLT!! Went shopping, came back, Subaru still in the lot. Hit my lock button again just for giggles and his alarm went nuts. Turned it off again and got into the Volt. Now..here's were we go back to the beginning of this story...When I hit the power button to turn on my VOLT, the Legacy Alarm went on again. Turned the VOLT off, alarm went off. Turned the VOLT on, the alarm went on. What could I do? No time to wait for the unknown owner to return so I started my VOLT, thus sounding his alarm, and drove away. His alarm blaring away. I only hope he or she did not have a dead battery when they got back to their Legacy.

Has ANYONE EVER heard of this issue? I'm just thankful that I had witnesses with me :)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Subraus are pretty social cars.. sounds like it was flirting with your volt.

I can remote codes accidentally being engaged, but hard to see why turning on the volt with the blue button would do anything to the Subrau.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I can remote codes accidentally being engaged, but hard to see why turning on the volt with the blue button would do anything to the Subrau.
My Volt is Smokin hot so I can understand the flirting....but the Blue Power button and the Door Lock fob button had the same results :)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
It does send a signal to lock, I just always presumed that was on a wire, not a wireless signal.

·
Registered
791 Posts
That's so weird you mentioned this. While we were in Charlottesville earlier today looking for a parking spot we heard a car alarm going off. Did not locate a visual on the car but it sounded like it wasn't extremely far from where we parked. If I remember correctly the alarm stopped after I powered down the car but did not think anything else about it until I saw this post. I will be paying closer attention the next time a car alarm goes off in a parking lot.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's kinda hilarious. Seems there's some overlap in the OEM Subaru codes and the Volt's? The power state of the car really is strange though. Maybe the Volt has some huge EMI that's just wiggin' out the Subie's electronics. I'll have to try this on the next Legacy I spot in a parking lot. haha!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I to tought the locks were hardwired. What signal does the Volt sends that could initiate such behavior in Subarues? Does it affect a running Legacy's behavior?

I can understand the remote part but.... what if the Volt start opening garage doors and things as you drive by?

Thats a subject that needs deeper research.... WOT?
I can just imagine the headlines if the news networks get this story.

·
Registered
152 Posts

When you start the car, it establishes an encrypted connection with the keyfob which it maintains as long as the vehicle is powered on. I found this out the hard way as my keyfob kept desyncing with my car and wouldn't resync until the car was restarted. Kept tossing "Key not detected" Error messages. Now it is possible this wireless signal is tripping an overly sensitive car alarm system. I know my brother's old Eclipse tended to set off car alarms when it started up. That thing was an RF nightmare.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The Subaru Legacy has a BROKEN alarm that goes off whenever a stray radio signal is present. It probably goes off for all sorts of other reasons as well... The owner of the Subaru Legacy should also get a fix it ticket for disturbing the peace. (It's the only way they will spend a nickel to get it fixed. Or REMOVED.)

I am sick & tired of all the worthless car alarms that go off all night long for no reason. Grrrr.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.