GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
With my new job in Mississippi, and my wife's 2 year job obligation at her job in Richmond Kentucky my direct route for monthly visits is right through Birmingham Alabama... and it doesn't matter that much if I have a Bolt or a Tesla, Birmingham has charging for neither! In either car, (Bolt, or CPO S60 Tesla S) I would be starting fully charged and arrive at my wife's apartment low on charge but able to L1 (over a day or so) or hopefully L2 over a few hours before my return trip. With the Bolt I would need 3 charging stops with one of them being about 7 hours on an L2 charger in Birmingham in order to reach the CCS DC fast charger in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Total trip time 18 to 19 hours. Doing the same trip in a CPO S60 would take me 200 miles out of my way to go around Birmingham, and take 16 to 17 hours.

Good thing I have the 2011 CPO Volt! I was hoping there was a rapid charger of some kind in or around Birmingham, if there were I would trade in the Volt on the Bolt. As is (and with explosively fast development in EV's over the next few years) I will probably break my own "no lease" rule and lease the Bolt on a two year lease. That should last me until they improve charging infrastructure in Alabama, or my wife's job is complete and she moves to Mississippi. At that point I will purchase either a 2nd generation Bolt or some other EV.... there are so many options coming out over the next few years!

Keith

·
Registered
921 Posts
That's an EV desert, that is. Not one CCS charger in either Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama. AR has one, and Tennessee has some on the east side. Georgia has, comparatively, a lot.

A little bit different if you look for Chademo, New Orleans has one. In Alabama, Montgomery and Birmingham both have one, as well as 3 more up north. Ole Miss is still taking a miss...

I see what you mean about Tesla, major routes only.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an EV desert, that is. Not one CCS charger in either Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama. AR has one, and Tennessee has some on the east side. Georgia has, comparatively, a lot.

A little bit different if you look for Chademo, New Orleans has one. In Alabama, Montgomery and Birmingham both have one, as well as 3 more up north. Ole Miss is still taking a miss...

I see what you mean about Tesla, major routes only.
Rumor as of Jan 2015 was that Birmingham would get a Supercharger "soon"... LOL we all know what soon means in Tesla-speak! The Chademo station you are talking about doesn't show up on plugshare... where is your info from?

Keith

·
Registered
921 Posts
It is on PlugShare. Check your settings. A while back I started losing CCS stations that I knew were working, I finally found a setting that made them show again.I think it was Payment Required.

Anyway, it's Benton Nissan of Hoover
Address
1640 Montgomery Highway Birmingham, AL 35216

Comments say it's been there since 2012, and that it is currently broken. Cross your fingers, every new Chademo around here comes with a CCS cord on the other side...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is on PlugShare. Check your settings. A while back I started losing CCS stations that I knew were working, I finally found a setting that made them show again.I think it was Payment Required.

Anyway, it's Benton Nissan of Hoover
Address
1640 Montgomery Highway Birmingham, AL 35216

Comments say it's been there since 2012, and that it is currently broken. Cross your fingers, every new Chademo around here comes with a CCS cord on the other side...
So, if they upgrade when they repair that would be nice, but I wouldn't really expect it.

Keith

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
It's why in 2016, the Chevrolet Volt is still the most practical EV.

Pure BEVs have their limits today. And even in the future, unless charging hits over 400 miles per hour at 80 mph (100 miles in 15 minutes), a lot of folk are going to hate using EVs.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's why in 2016, the Chevrolet Volt is still the most practical EV.

Pure BEVs have their limits today. And even in the future, unless charging hits over 400 miles per hour at 80 mph (100 miles in 15 minutes), a lot of folk are going to hate using EVs.
This is one of the things that makes the Tesla attractive, the superchargers blow other DC fast charging away (at this point) and I can live with "half full in 20 min" on a 90 kWh battery vs "half full in 30 min" on a 60 kWh battery. I was looking for "10% to 90%" charge time on Tesla's but couldn't find anything... I assume the "half capacity in 20 min" is going from 25% to 75% and that going from 10% to 90% would probably take at least an hour, possibly more since charging efficiency is lower at each end of the battery SOC than it is in the middle. Anyone have data on this?

Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts