GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,356 Posts
Now that's cool. We need one that pitches the Volt.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The Malibu is a great sedan. So the billboard chases the sedan drivers. It should also promote the Impala.

·
Registered
779 Posts
So they can detect what kind of car I'm driving. Can they tell when I'm picking my nose? I can see the ad now:

"Stop picking your nose, Kleenex tissues are soft and come in a variety of designer colors."

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A perfect method for targeting the zillions of Prius owners plying the S.Cal. freeways. Go for it, Chevy Volt!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You see a digital billboard with a Gentleman's Club on it, and you wonder what the men in the cars around you are doing right now ...

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
CHICAGO — Drivers along a busy Chicago-area tollway may have recently noticed a large digital billboard that seems to be talking directly to them.
Drivers along a busy Chicago-area tollway may have recently noticed that there are hundreds of cars around them at all times.

In Aurora, a suburb of Chicago, the Malibu campaign has taken over a 14-by-48-foot Lamar digital billboard on Interstate 88. Watching traffic 24/7, a separate camera mounted 1,000 feet ahead of the billboard scans for vehicle grilles. When it recognizes a Fusion, Camry or Altima, the billboard shifts from a generic Malibu ad to a competitor-specific one.
Here too there are hundreds of cars around them at all times. It most be on the alternate ad display at all times.

This gimmick is so much BS. :rolleyes: The only time I could see this making a difference is 4-5 AM.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drivers along a busy Chicago-area tollway may have recently noticed that there are hundreds of cars around them at all times.

Here too there are hundreds of cars around them at all times. It most be on the alternate ad display at all times.

This gimmick is so much BS. :rolleyes: The only time I could see this making a difference is 4-5 AM.
Actually, I think a traffic jams would be the absolute best times for this type of billboard.

There's a used car dealer near me that has a digital sign that features a different vehicle on their lot every 30-45 seconds. The board has lots of details - including a phone number and stock number - and the amount of time it's being displayed is just about perfect if you're either stuck in traffic on the adjacent freeway or at the traffic signal on the access road that passes the entrance to their lot.

When I pass that sign during light traffic times I NEVER notice it. But if I'm stuck at the light at that intersection - which happens often because I'm avoiding the freeway to get to where I want to be - I read the sign. There's nothing else to look at around there as interesting as their sign.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I think a traffic jams would be the absolute best times for this type of billboard.

There's a used car dealer near me that has a digital sign that features a different vehicle on their lot every 30-45 seconds. The board has lots of details - including a phone number and stock number - and the amount of time it's being displayed is just about perfect if you're either stuck in traffic on the adjacent freeway or at the traffic signal on the access road that passes the entrance to their lot.

When I pass that sign during light traffic times I NEVER notice it. But if I'm stuck at the light at that intersection - which happens often because I'm avoiding the freeway to get to where I want to be - I read the sign. There's nothing else to look at around there as interesting as their sign.
I just ran an errand that took me by the above-mentioned billboard. While waiting at the light at that intersection, I took note of the blue, 6-cylinder, 2015 Mustang that was being featured on the billboard. Had it been a Volt and my wife had a pen to write down the number for me I might have taken another look at that vehicle. On the way back home I took the freeway at normal freeway speeds. I intentionally looked over at their billboard and all I can tell you about the then-featured vehicle is that it was a dark color.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Yes it would. I never give a billboard more than a split second if at all when I'm moving - too dangerous. However, I still have to be aware when traffic is creeping. Speed fluctuates even more, and leads to more accidents then.

But moving or not, which car does it target the ad to? That's the silly part.

I drive these tollways regularly. I know how busy they are.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank goodness for The Highway Beautification Act...:rolleyes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Beautification_Act
If the President hadn't signed it, he would have slept on the couch (if allowed indoors at all) for months. That bill was ushered through at the urging of Lady Bird Johnson. She hated the sight of junk yards with a fevered passion. The removal of the signs were an added bonus (pun intended from the Wiki). She was also an influence in getting our Highway Department to plant wild flowers along state highways. There's a wild flower center in Austin named in her honor. https://www.wildflower.org/ We attended a grand wedding there for some friends of ours.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I live blocks away from this one:

I'll probably never give it more than a passing glance. But here is a much better place for it:

This one makes sense. Pick one of the cars in front at the red light.

You see a digital billboard with a Gentleman's Club on it, and you wonder what the men in the cars around you are doing right now ...
Oh sure, deflect the blame onto the other drivers...... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts