GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

On his last two episodes of the Fox News program the “The O’Reilly Factor,” leading conservative thought leader Bill O’Reilly strongly expressed his support for electric vehicles (EVs) in order to improve America’s economic and national security.

On Monday, Mr. O’Reilly delivered a fairly forceful endorsement of electric vehicles, which he placed in the context of the recent crisis in Ukraine. In his commentary, he urged conservatives to reconsider their opposition to alternative transportation and framed electric vehicles as a solution to making the “air cleaner and our wallets thicker.”

Then, last night, Mr. O’Reilly invited talk show host Eric Bolling of Fox’s “The Five” to present his argument against Tesla and EVs. Taking on a fellow conservative in a six minute back-and-forth, Mr. O’Reilly strongly defended Tesla, especially in receiving and paying back their federal loan guarantee. Furthermore, O’Reilly stated numerous times that the goal should be to “get away from OPEC and Putin.” As for the role of the federal government, Mr. O’Reilly vociferously defended some government support, stating that “a greater good is served by supporting the electric car.”

http://energypolicyinfo.com/2014/04/bill-oreilly-support-evs-to-get-away-from-opec-and-putin/

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
If everyone driving a 20mpg car would switch to 35mpg and those driving pickup trucks daily would drive higher mpg car then we wouldn't need oil imports. Russia supplies 2% of US imports and we get far more from S.A. or Venezuela. The problem is the number of miles we drive individually per year. The guy with the high mile volt drives 220 or more miles per day. Insane commuting is our first world problem. We don't carpool or use mass transit due to our want for convenience. That has to change or it will be changed for us with higher fuel prices. Can you imagine the USA with $8+ gas like the UK?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I am reminded of the quote-
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
Apparently not everyone at Faux has yet been won over. However, when one as loud as O' Reilly sees the light, perhaps we have gotten over 'the hump'?

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Based on casual water cooler conversation recently (I work on a USAF base) I was surprised how putting a face to a possible disruption of the flow of gas and oil by a single individual and the former Soviet Empire has turned many former EV bashers into sudden supporters.

Just like how the Cold War seemed to focus our attention and energy (seems after we lost that focus we lost our drive and advantage) we may now find our Mojo again. Thanks Putin for giving us a face to focus on.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Doing my part to avoid sending money to OPEC nations was definitely a factor in me getting the Volt. It is satisfying not to give money to people who view anyone other than straight men as 3rd class citizens at best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
in the last 6 months, I have travelled about 18,500 km on a combination of Electricity + 150 litres (39 gallons) of petrol. compared to my previous Mazda 3, I've personally saved approximately $3,000 (Au) as my electricity is supplied from the solar on my house roof and at work. For me it is certainly not about the savings, it all comes down to having used much less petrol to do this.

To put that in perspective, I'm currently getting .8L/100km or 294mpg despite driving so far each day.

I don't often agree with Mr O'reilly, but he certainly has it right this time. the US and even us in OZ could certainly benefit from a much wider acceptance of EV's.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I think acceptance will come. But with higher range. leaf with 150 range. Volt with 80 mile AER and smaller engine and price. But what is key is sticker price. Not everyone can do the tax credit and it will go away eventually as is the tax credit for home solarPV arrays. We will then be on our own to fund purchases so msrp will be key.

Oh yeah, and his counterpart Eric Bolling is a horrible putz.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
One of the things I love about these cars are they are they only socially acceptable display of Jihad-hate. It's a big middle finger to the Jihads. Starve them of money and they can afford to do terrorist acts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts