GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anybody has any recommendations for a bike rack for the vault? Also wondering how much a bike rack on the back with a bike reduces electric range?

·
Registered
420 Posts
We use a Rhode Gear bicycle rack that looks like this:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Rhode+Gea...orefront/product_images/66877/f_66877_1.1.jpg

It uses nylon straps which need retightening once in a while and it only takes 2 bicycles but it works for us. If I were going to to really long distance hauling at highway speeds I would probably get a towbar type rack installed but for the shorter distances and times we haul our bikes around this one works fine. We bought it off a friend for $25 used. Very well designed for this type of rack....

Two bikes and a rack will add both weight and air turbulence to the vehicle so electric range will be reduced but probably not by too much. I'm not sure that would be easily measurable either - put it this way - I have not noticed any significant reduction when using the rack....

·
Registered
215 Posts
When I retired I worked part-time 7 years as a bike tech – it was fun and filled in the extra time on my hands. We sold a lot of bike racks – Thule, Yakima, Graber – but IMO the best strap-on rack is the Saris “Bones” series. They are super solid and have almost infinite adjustment range. Only problem is that they are pricey, but can be picked up dirt cheap on Craigslist. I paid $40 for a $200 unit.

I use a “Bones 2” on my Gen 1 Volt to carry my ebike. It fits fine and carries the heavier bike with no problems, and should easily handle a couple of mountain bikes. I haven't hauled the bike long distances – usually just 10 miles to a trailhead, so I can't give you accurate percentages of range loss, but I know there is some, as the Guess-o-meter drops faster than usual over that 10 miles.

iagagnon – good advice about the straps. I always told customers to stop after the first 15 minutes of driving and snug them up again, and if on a long trip, do it hourly, no matter what brand.

·
Registered
420 Posts
...I forgot to mention...you need to ensure to bike parts are anywhere near the vehicle body. They do tend to slide towards it on bumps, so you have to ensure pedals, handlebars or whatever, have some sort of protective cover (if necessary) to avoid scratching your paintwork. I use old, thick mountain rubber inner tubes and wrap them/tie them around the offending component...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My buddy has a sea sucker and has great luck with it. Stinks you have to take the front tire off every time but you could keep it on your car all the time because it takes up very little space. Yes

·
Registered
219 Posts
My buddy has a sea sucker and has great luck with it. Stinks you have to take the front tire off every time but you could keep it on your car all the time because it takes up very little space. Yes
Thanks! I have quick release wheels so not too bad to remove - kinda used to it from my old car that had a roof rack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts