GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you use a bike rack with your Volt?
Are you happy with your bike rack?
Can you post a picture of your bike rack and tell us about it?

Bentbiker suggested some questions that I've modified here since I'm really looking for personal experiences:
1.) Did you install a hitch receiver?
2.) Do you use a roof rack?
3.) How many bikes do you carry?
4.) What types of bikes do you carry?
5.) Do you know the weight of your bike(s) and rack?
6.) Does rack rest on a painted surface?
(If so, what color paint and what has your experience been? Scuffing? scratches?)
7.) How far do you typically carry your bike(s)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
check out the Seasucker bike racks. Very neat idea and really (REALLY) works. In the absence of factory rails/cross-bars, etc. this is the best solution I've found and have used it on multiple vehicles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for showing me that! I've never seen anything like it and it looks really cool. I'd be OK with those suction cups on the glass, but I'd by highly concerned about them on the paint. Of course, the surface and the cup would have to be perfectly clean before use.

I'd really like to hear some user experiences with that system. How do they do in stiff cross winds on the interstate?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1

OP, you could help people make better recommendations if you advised:
1.) Are you willing to install a hitch receiver?
2.) Is a roof rack OK?
3.) How many bikes? Types?
4.) Do you mind if rack rests on a painted surface?
Excellent questions! Thanks for that post.

I'm looking for personal experiences of all kinds and so I hope that people who have tried all of those things will reply with their experiences. I've purchased a rack myself and as soon as I have some actual experience with it, I'll be posting details and pictures along with the pros and cons that I see. I doubt that my solution is the best and I hope there is something better out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have a detail or window tint shop put "vinyl wrap" or clear bra on the paint, just where the suction cups or any other hardware is located. Comes time to sell, peel it off. No scratches! How easy is that?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just went through the whole bicycle rack question. I need a two bike rack for local excursions.

I considered trailer hitch racks. I found readily available trailer hitches for the Volt, but they only had 100 pound tongue loads. The hitch racks I looked at required 200 pound capacity. There are a couple of Volt hitches with 200 pound tongue loads, but they are expensive and not available locally.

I decided to go with a trunk rack instead. Saris racks are carried by my local bike shop and I noted a couple of posts here on gm-volt where the Saris Bones and Saris Bike Porter Trunk racks were successfully used on the Volt. The Saris website Fit Guide lists these racks as Volt compatible when the top and side rack straps are replaced with their Hatch Huggers. Hatch huggers are heavily padded anchors that hold the rack straps from inside the closed hatch rather than clipping on the edge of the hatch. Took me a bit to get my head wrapped around the idea, but the pictures in this post helped a lot.

I went with the Bike Porter because it looks to me like it spreads the load better along on the Volts narrow soft plastic bumper.

Only used it once to date, but so far so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
My answers to your questions are below in RED.

Do you use a bike rack with your Volt?
Are you happy with your bike rack? Very
Can you post a picture of your bike rack and tell us about it? I don't have a picture, but it is a receiver hitch rack. Pretty standard

Bentbiker suggested some questions that I've modified here since I'm really looking for personal experiences:
1.) Did you install a hitch receiver? Yes, from Torklift Central. Not cheap, but worth the money.
2.) Do you use a roof rack? No
3.) How many bikes do you carry? Usually one, but sometimes 2.
4.) What types of bikes do you carry? Road and mountain.
5.) Do you know the weight of your bike(s) and rack? No
6.) Does rack rest on a painted surface? No
(If so, what color paint and what has your experience been? Scuffing? scratches?)
7.) How far do you typically carry your bike(s)? Usually less than 10 miles, but sometimes hundreds of miles.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Thanks for showing me that! I've never seen anything like it and it looks really cool. I'd be OK with those suction cups on the glass, but I'd by highly concerned about them on the paint. Of course, the surface and the cup would have to be perfectly clean before use.

I'd really like to hear some user experiences with that system. How do they do in stiff cross winds on the interstate?
I've used a Mini-Bomber for 2+ years now with zero issues. No problems using the vacuum(they are not suction cups, they are vacuum cups rated at 200 pounds each) cups on paint or glass. Zero issues on the freeway at all. I love this setup and look forward to using it on my Volt :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
@leeG--how did the rear bumper of your Volt hold up to the Saris Bike Porter? I tried it once, and the lower padded "feet" of the rack left scuff marks on the soft rear bumper. Rubbing compound got them off, but that deterred me from using the rack again (and I returned it). Not sure if I just installed it incorrectly that one time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The device in that video is VERY similar to a Yakima device they used to sell for skis and snowboards. I thought about getting a used one for my Audi TT, but I sold the TT and got a Volt (LOL).

I wouldn't use it after researching it. Yakima stopped making theirs many many years ago; that says something. Besides scratching if everything is not squeaky clean, I think it may be unsafe at higher speeds. If you hang out <60 mph and don't experience high winds, it's likely not a problem.

A Kuat Beta rack in a hitch is probably the best bet. Ultra lightweight, strong, and has great reviews. Rear is Better MPG than top mounts, in my experience. I'm adding a hitch to my Volt to use mine, which I use on other vehicles.

·
Registered
236 Posts
@leeG--how did the rear bumper of your Volt hold up to the Saris Bike Porter? I tried it once, and the lower padded "feet" of the rack left scuff marks on the soft rear bumper. Rubbing compound got them off, but that deterred me from using the rack again (and I returned it). Not sure if I just installed it incorrectly that one time.
I've used the Bike Porter to carry a bike from Washington DC to Virginia Beach. Total of 220 miles, mostly interstates. Cleaned the area the pad rests against the bumper and hatch with a damp cloth first and didn't notice any scuffs or wear. I did make sure the padded foot was tight in the corner formed by the horizontal bumper surface and the vertical hatch surface. I also add extra line to secure the bike.

I do worry about the car's paint, so it might be a good idea to apply a clear tape to protect the contact surfaces, but some scuffing may just be the price paid for carrying bikes on the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have the single mount Seasucker and I can say that it works pretty good. Things to note: Make sure to have a wet towel to moisten the cups before installation and make sure to be mindful of the pedals hitting the roof if not positioned correctly or protected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The device in that video is VERY similar to a Yakima device they used to sell for skis and snowboards. I thought about getting a used one for my Audi TT, but I sold the TT and got a Volt (LOL).

I wouldn't use it after researching it. Yakima stopped making theirs many many years ago; that says something. Besides scratching if everything is not squeaky clean, I think it may be unsafe at higher speeds. If you hang out <60 mph and don't experience high winds, it's likely not a problem.

A Kuat Beta rack in a hitch is probably the best bet. Ultra lightweight, strong, and has great reviews. Rear is Better MPG than top mounts, in my experience. I'm adding a hitch to my Volt to use mine, which I use on other vehicles.
I've used my Seasucker rack for 3 years now and have done many multi hour 80mph drives without issue. Also no scratches, as you should always wipe the surface down with a damp cloth before installation anyways to help with the seal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts