GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a Allen Sports 204D model purchased at Walmart. I had used it on my 2003 Saturn with a wind deflector. I had to reverse the carrier to fit the deflector. I had to buy two straps with a t-bar-like end on-line to attach the rack through under and over the hatch. I put some cushions on the two ends touching the car. It works well; holds two bikes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Once you post a few times you can post pictures. An Allen Sports 204D is a stationary bike rack for 6 bikes. You have a 104?

I have a Thule Gateway 9006. It is pretty much a disaster. It sits on the flexible bumper of the car and doesn't have a way to ratchet the straps tight. Bounce over a bump and the strap clips come off. The base isn't wide enough to stop the load from rolling on a turn. Thule doesn't even make one for Gen 2 Volt although I have used it on our '17. It isn't any worse. Luckily I can put one bike in the hatch and one on the carrier. I have put two bikes in the hatch but that isn't why I bought a carrier.

I'd like to see two wheel holds coming off the structural rails under the car (the rails they use for receiver style hitch). Don't know anyone makes one.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Once you post a few times you can post pictures. An Allen Sports 204D is a stationary bike rack for 6 bikes. You have a 104?

I have a Thule Gateway 9006. It is pretty much a disaster. It sits on the flexible bumper of the car and doesn't have a way to ratchet the straps tight. Bounce over a bump and the strap clips come off. The base isn't wide enough to stop the load from rolling on a turn. Thule doesn't even make one for Gen 2 Volt although I have used it on our '17. It isn't any worse. Luckily I can put one bike in the hatch and one on the carrier. I have put two bikes in the hatch but that isn't why I bought a carrier.

I'd like to see two wheel holds coming off the structural rails under the car (the rails they use for receiver style hitch). Don't know anyone makes one.
There has been a lot of discussion of bike racks in the forum, and nobody seems perfectly satisfied. Scarlett - maybe this could be your winter project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts