GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow, after the Hermain Cain slam from yesterday on our featured news wall it is time for a little Amazing Chevy Volt EREV- Good News!

With all the hacks publishing on the web, when a true master of the business world notices us, our Extended Range Electric Vehicle and our little seceret- voltstats.net web site then the game changes! The Game Really Changes for the Better!

Enjoy, allow yourself a little Voltec Grin!

Jim Cramer @jimcramer

100 Million Miles In The Chevrolet Volt - ow.ly/cduq7 by @antonwahlman
Retweeted by Chevrolet Volt
Expand
Reply Retweeted Favorited

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11616022/1/100-million-miles-in-the-chevrolet-volt.html?CM_VEN=AD|TWR|JC

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Wow, after the Hermain Cain slam from yesterday on our featured news wall it is time for a little Amazing Chevy Volt EREV- Good News!

With all the hacks publishing on the web, when a true master of the business world notices us...

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11616022/1/100-million-miles-in-the-chevrolet-volt.html?CM_VEN=AD|TWR|JC
Anton Wahlman?

Good article though. Thank you for finding and posting it. And I would say the Volt acts much like "a regular hybrid" at charge sustaining not the, "no differently than any other purely gasoline car" that Mr Wahlman stated. Happy electric motoring to you.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Fun article. Thanks for posting. But the web site is only showing 96,000,000 miles. Kinda a quibble but it's the headline number.

·
Registered
882 Posts
i really enjoyed the article...thanks for posting it ! I never would have guessed the cumulative miles were already that high.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
I don't think those miles include Europe as I understand they come from OnStar (which is North America only until recently?). If so, the rough math for number of cars may also off (too high).

I'm not sure how Jim Cramer fits into this. The article was from Anton.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
That was one of the best descriptions for the layman of how the Volt works that I've ever read in an independent article.

GM should be clearer on that message than they have been, as their attempts at message simplification leave a lot room for misinterpretation. First and foremost, when they say it'll go another 300 miles on a full tank of gas, how about pointing out that the tank requires just 9 gallons to fill? Most people might think, "my car goes MORE than 300 miles on a tank of gas, so that Volt isn't so great after all!" Dumb GM marketing. Great car.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Really to bad he didn't tell about the people on voltstats.net that are high percentage electric.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The point Cramer makes about how gently the ICE is used is not made enough. I expect Volts to last years longer than conventional cars before the maintenance cost exceed the value. That means that the purchase price can be amortized over more years. If you do a Net Present Value calculation with a typical consumer interest rate, the capital cost per month is well under $200.

Of course, GM will not be thrilled by long original-buyer retention times, so they need to come up with seriously better Volts to lure us over. By that I mean driving range and charging rates.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Fun article. Thanks for posting. But the web site is only showing 96,000,000 miles. Kinda a quibble but it's the headline number.

What's a couple of million miles between Volt owners?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
As a trader...Well, let's just say Cramer is the clown of my world, not the authority, and leave it at that. The part of the article I read was OK, but from a source that auto-discredits itself regularly - those guys really are a joke - they make money talking about markets, which no one who can really trade bothers with much. Those who know, don't talk. Then there's "thestreet".

"A fairly normal engine kicks in?" Perhaps I'm showing my age here, but a twin cam, variable cam timing, hollow camshaft computer controlled engine, with a higher compression ratio than can normally burn "street" gasoline, with no throttle is "fairly normal"? Puhhleeese.

So, while nice, take it with a grain of salt - the people who follow that outfit and trade based on what they say are soon parted from their money and won't be buying many Volts.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the Volt's reliability plays out. I'm guessing it's going to be significantly better than an ordinary ICE vehicle for the reasons mentioned in the article. While the drivetrain should be more reliable, the rest of the car won't as these parts are essentially the same as ordinary cars.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The point Cramer makes about how gently the ICE is used is not made enough. I expect Volts to last years longer than conventional cars before the maintenance cost exceed the value. That means that the purchase price can be amortized over more years. If you do a Net Present Value calculation with a typical consumer interest rate, the capital cost per month is well under $200.

Of course, GM will not be thrilled by long original-buyer retention times, so they need to come up with seriously better Volts to lure us over. By that I mean driving range and charging rates.
I doubt that the percentage of original owners driving their cars until it dies will be any greater for the Volt than conventional cars, even if the Volt does last longer on average. The much better news for GM will be the resulting higher resale values, plus the rate of customer retention. I think it would be interesting to do a poll here to see how many Volt owners would consider buying a non-Voltec or non-EV car when they replace their Volt. I'll bet that number is very small.

·
Registered
239 Posts
One note: Although it's Cramer's column, this time it was written by "By Anton Wahlman, Contributor", rather than Cramer. Mr. Wahlman is a Volt owner, as he reveals in the last page, which helps explain why the article is pretty accurate.

And I think the "fairly normal engine" is right. I mean, it's a gas powered, 4-cycle piston engine. It's not even an Atkinson engine like a Prius uses.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
One note: Although it's Cramer's column, this time it was written by "By Anton Wahlman, Contributor", rather than Cramer. Mr. Wahlman is a Volt owner, as he reveals in the last page, which helps explain why the article is pretty accurate.

And I think the "fairly normal engine" is right. I mean, it's a gas powered, 4-cycle piston engine. It's not even an Atkinson engine like a Prius uses.
Yep it is fairly normal. None of its features are atypical of most ICEs these days. Heck direct injection, stop/start, and some pretty wild turbo configurations (within the "V" on V8s, or with exhaust manifolds integrally cast-into the head for the turbo), are getting to be more common too.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I beg to differ. My 2010 Camaro SS didn't have any of those features other than high compression. No car in my neighborhood does without a throttle (except diesels). None have variable cam timing. While a few exotics that don't live within 50 miles of me might have some of those things...and of course the Cruzes, I'd say hollow shafts to save weight and a few other niceties on this engine make it very not-normal until a heck of a lot more Cruze LTs are sold, actually. Remember, ordinary is a fleet average age of way over 5 years, and most of this stuff is up to the minute. Nothing about the Volt is really ordinary at this point - why dis the car?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts