GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"But after six years and burning through $850 million, the company is filing for liquidation in an Israeli court. The concept never gained momentum, with fewer than 1,500 electric cars operating in Israel and Denmark today."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57586236-76/electric-car-startup-better-place-liquidating-after-$850-million-investment/

I am very happy with the Chevy Volt and the way it works. The Better Place battery swap concept of leasing batteries and swapping them instead of charging them just never appealed to me.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
At this stage about the battery technology required for EVs, it's clear that no normalisation could take place,
and this normalisation of battery packs was a sine qua none condition for the business model of Better Place.

Superchargers of Tesla provides quick recharge, in a time that seems less than a battery swap.

The Volt has a battery pack tighly coupled to the car, with liquid cooling, electrical High Voltage and low voltage
connexions. Shop time to remove and reinstall a battery pack on a Volt is actually of at least 6 hours.
(a supercharge is quite faster...)

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
367 Posts
This is a shame. Seemed like such a good concept, and by limiting deployment to just one region, I'd hoped they'd be able to validate it. Guess they over-reached for this one.

Still think there's value in this, but can't see any company trying this in the US because of the massive infrastructure costs. For now, I guess DCFC is the best we're going to get.

·
Registered
761 Posts
<snip>
Still think there's value in this, but can't see any company trying this in the US because of the massive infrastructure costs. For now, I guess DCFC is the best we're going to get.
Well, there's a LOT of speculation about what this next supercharger announcement will entail... Tesla has apparently mentioned battery swapping in an official govt filing....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well, there's a LOT of speculation about what this next supercharger announcement will entail... Tesla has apparently mentioned battery swapping in an official govt filing....
Yeah, he had some speculative tweets too about how it's possible to get a full charge as fast as it is to fill your tank, and to do that nationwide. I think it's a load of BS. The US is just too large for something like this. You'd need far too many stations to make it effective. They can't roll out superchargers at a good rate, so I have no faith that they'd be able to take on something of this magnitude.

No harm in the guy dreaming big, but he has to be careful about over-promising.

·
Registered
654 Posts
This is a shame. Seemed like such a good concept, and by limiting deployment to just one region, I'd hoped they'd be able to validate it. Guess they over-reached for this one.

Sorry - Nope was a crock from the begining - if it ever took off they would have never been able to hold $$$ for all the batteries they would have stockpiled at the there Charging station.
Mr Aggasi = Crook.

Thanks god for the Volt - however I do feel sorry for True EV's who mayu have banked on better place.

Lets hope electricty companies can drive the installation of chargers in future and not too good to be true midle men crooks
(PS Aggasi - the world has moved on and people go direct to the source! )

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
"But after six years and burning through $850 million, the company is filing for liquidation in an Israeli court. The concept never gained momentum, with fewer than 1,500 electric cars operating in Israel and Denmark today."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57586236-76/electric-car-startup-better-place-liquidating-after-$850-million-investment/

I am very happy with the Chevy Volt and the way it works. The Better Place battery swap concept of leasing batteries and swapping them instead of charging them just never appealed to me.
Well last year...the bloggers were saying the same thing...:)

http://cp.media.mit.edu/blog/entry/electric-car-battery-swapping-a-fundamentally-flawed-technology

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mr Aggasi = Crook.
<snip>
Lets hope electricty companies can drive the installation of chargers in future and not too good to be true midle men crooks
(PS Aggasi - the world has moved on and people go direct to the source! )
I think the world will be a Better Place after his lawyers get in touch with you.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
At this stage about the battery technology required for EVs, it's clear that no normalisation could take place,
and this normalisation of battery packs was a sine qua none condition for the business model of Better Place.

Superchargers of Tesla provides quick recharge, in a time that seems less than a battery swap.

The Volt has a battery pack tighly coupled to the car, with liquid cooling, electrical High Voltage and low voltage
connexions. Shop time to remove and reinstall a battery pack on a Volt is actually of at least 6 hours.
(a supercharge is quite faster...)

Francois
B2653
That shop time came from the customer satisfaction campaign and included the installation of the structural ehancement which was a PITA
Actually the Volt battery is about as easy as it could be if you have a hoist and the right equipment.
Once it's disabled, 2 quick connects on the coolant lines, a couple electrical connectors, then it's just a dozen or so fasteners that whip out in no time with an impact, mount the holding/lift fixture, a few more fasteners and it's on the gurney.
I can R&R the Volt battery in about an hour.
Just need another 1/2 hour or so to properly fill and purge the air from the battery coolant system while I re-zero the battery energy data.
Easy peasy
I doubt Better Place was all that much easier

WOT

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think the Better Place battery type does not have liquid TMS, so there are no coolant lines to connect/disconnect, right? Supposedly this helps make the switch much faster, no need to open/close/burp the coolant circuit to get rid of air in the line, etc.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Looks like they can do it in a lot less than 90m. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHHvjsFm_88
That may be true, but anything can be automated.
A similar automated process could be developed for the Volt that could be just as quick
Wouldnt want to pay for it though ;)
That looks to be a pretty expensive process for something that really just requires a few hours on a charger...
WOT

·
Registered
367 Posts
That may be true, but anything can be automated.
That's not always true.

And there's a big difference between what CAN be automated and what HAS been automated. And with the cooling system, there's no way it could ever be as fast. You said it takes 90m to do today. They had it done in about 90s. You have to admit that's a game changer. It's like the massive difference in charging times comparing L1 or L2 to DCFC. Would be interesting to see where all of the money went. Probably too much to R&D and not enough left for deployment.

Looks fairly simple to me. Sled comes in and takes the old battery off & takes it to be recharged, new sled puts a new battery on. Now THAT is easy peasy :)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
That's not always true.

And there's a big difference between what CAN be automated and what HAS been automated. And with the cooling system, there's no way it could ever be as fast. You said it takes 90m to do today. They had it done in about 90s. You have to admit that's a game changer. It's like the massive difference in charging times comparing L1 or L2 to DCFC. Would be interesting to see where all of the money went. Probably too much to R&D and not enough left for deployment.

Looks fairly simple to me. Sled comes in and takes the old battery off & takes it to be recharged, new sled puts a new battery on. Now THAT is easy peasy :)
Trust me it could be automated.Not even a significant challenge as the fully customizable equipment already exists.
My real point was it doesnt take 6-7 hours which is commonly stated

But yes, it is cool how BP implemented the swap, however limited the actual deployment and financially unsuccessful
Too bad
WOT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, he had some speculative tweets too about how it's possible to get a full charge as fast as it is to fill your tank, and to do that nationwide.
Every commentary I've seen on the tweet assumes he's talking about battery swapping. When I read it, I assumed he was talking about an inductive pad that a car could drive over to transfer energy very quickly. Something like Momentum Dynamics is planning.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Every commentary I've seen on the tweet assumes he's talking about battery swapping. When I read it, I assumed he was talking about an inductive pad that a car could drive over to transfer energy very quickly. Something like Momentum Dynamics is planning.
At this point, I assume he was referring to the just announced Supercharger updates. A lot faster, but still not as fast as a swap or a gas fill up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts