GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to come up to speed on my new (to me) 2013 Volt. My wife suffers during the winter with cold feet. Of course I purchased the car during the end of the summer when it was impossible to test the heater under real conditions. Now that the first cold snap has hit the Minnesota river valleys, I find it difficult to get the correct settings to get maximum heat regardless of energy use. This could be a fatal flaw considering how cold my wife gets. I have read the complete climate control section of the manual and tried different settings - the temperature still seems lacking. Advice anyone?

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Put the car in hold mode, climate to comfort, set to 80F, you will be roasting
Essentially this is operating the car like any ICE vehicle and based on your location I expect you'll get familiar with this technique very soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2012. Baffle doors get confused. 100% heat acts like 80% defrost. Reach down and feel for airflow.

If this is your situation, read up on pulling a fuse (drivers side panel) to reset baffles. (might be fuse #5) but can't recall)

Sadly only lasts a few days, but happy wife = happy life.

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
I find that when I turn on the seat heaters, my back and upper legs warm up nicely, but then my toes feel cold relatively speaking. Since my commute is over 60 miles round trip, I just go into hold mode right away to warm the engine and cabin, then switch to normal about halfway to work. I don't bother with the seat heater when leaving my garage, but will use them when leaving an ice cold car. Remote start also helps

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Best way to get heat in winter? Just open all your windows and turn the A/C off. Of course, I can do that here in Puerto Rico not just in winter (which we never have) but for all 365 days in a year!

BTW, today it was 88 F, and slightly cloudy skies, while watching ther Air Force Thunderbirds fly manuvers over my home.
http://afthunderbirds.com/site/show-season/

Oct. 8-9: San Juan, Puerto Rico

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
Check to make sure your lower vents are actually sourcing heat. Assuming your heater is not malfunctioning, here are some tips: https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...s/02_pdf/2013 Volt_ColdWeatherTips_Nov 12.pdf

Then, of course:
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...n=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=electric+socks&tbm=shop
I used to occasionally have no heat, but I brought the car into my dealership and there was some sort of software update that fixed that problem. I haven't had the no heat condition since.

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
Best way to get heat in winter? Just open all your windows and turn the A/C off. Of course, I can do that here in Puerto Rico not just in winter (which we never have) but for all 365 days in a year!

BTW, today it was 88 F, and slightly cloudy skies, while watching ther Air Force Thunderbirds fly manuvers over my home.
http://afthunderbirds.com/site/show-season/

Oct. 8-9: San Juan, Puerto Rico
After snowageddon 1 and 2, I'd be tempted to join you down by the equator, but last year, we barely had any snow except for a few dustings and i big snowstorm. But I think I'd rather have a volt and winters than no volt and no winters. I'm not sure why GM is so slow at getting volt's for you in Puerto Rico. Are you allowed to try to import one yourself?

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The 2013 had two issues with heat. One was corrected by a software the other was a defective part which can be identified by manufacture date. see my signature for both. My 2013s had the defective unit on both.

Also the car does create plenty of heat if you put the settings on comfort and high heat setting.

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
Check to make sure your lower vents are actually sourcing heat. Assuming your heater is not malfunctioning, here are some tips: https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...s/02_pdf/2013 Volt_ColdWeatherTips_Nov 12.pdf

Then, of course:
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...n=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=electric+socks&tbm=shop
Oh yeah, if you have a 2013 or newer there is that setting in the configuration menu to turn on ERDTT (engine running due to temperature) at a higher or lower temp. At first I tried to avoid it be setting the threshold to be lower, but it effectively reduced my range because the capacitive heat had to work overtime. So now I have it on the high setting and actually preempt it by just jumping into hold mode right away on cold mornings.

I also then stopped worrying about trying to maximize range, and just drive. I went from driving like a grandpa to driving like Jeff Gordon. Fuel economy dropped from 95 mpg to about 80 mpg, which stilll blows away any Prius.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I also have a 2013

Heat experiments are detailed here... 2013 Sauna

and here.... "Just Driving" my 2013 Volt in Cold Weather" with a special emphasis on the efficiency numbers in post #8 of that thread.

The upshot of the second post is that it seems to be better for overall efficiency to run the ICE/REX for about 4 miles starting out and just get everything warm, then switch over to all electric and maintain (easier to maintain temps than to raise them).

Heat running in ICE/REX mode should be able to cook you out of the cabin in short order (like 5-10min). If it's not doing that you either have the settings wrong, or something isn't working right.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If heat is the main objective, set manually to 'MAX/COMFORT', put all the vents on, screen, face and feet, set to 25C and begin with fan speed 1 for 2 minutes, then fan speed 3 for 5 minutes, then back to 1 (this gives the water circuit time to heat up rather than blow cold air at you).

Avoid AUTO, it is useless. Just set the controls static, and adjust the temperature by turning the fan speed up and down, NOT the temperature setting - that just confuses it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I use auto, set temp to at least 23c and feet are good during winter. Anything lower than 23c is not enough to warm the feet. I only get 40km range in the winter, sometimes less for the sake of comfort.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I wear warm shoes use the heated seats and leave the heat off, if it gets real bad I have stuff to heat my feet hands and leg warmers.

Heat off is usually the most efficient but you need to idle the car heat off plugged in a half hour so the battery heater stays off.

Done that down to 10 below F

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
There's an interesting thing buried in there.... The door tire pressure label says 38 PSI, but the text lists that as a recommended minimum. Not just recommended. A minimum. With the implication, I think, that it's expected that you're going to put yours someplace much more close to sidewall maximum.

Which reminds me, it's October now and 20F cooler than it was the last time I did an all-around equalization with the handheld. Tiny project for this evening then... :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts