GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are considering purchasing a Volt here in Maryland. I've spent the day learning all I can about the Volt and it may, in fact, be more affordable than we first thought. That said, is anyone aware of the best deals here in Maryland? We live near Westminster and there is one Chevy dealer in town, but obviously I would like to take advantage of any rebates, incentives, tax credits, etc.

Finally, is there a huge benefit to buying new over used? We had planned to buy used but I don't know if that's the best idea with a Volt.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I live in Northern Virginia and when I get serious about shopping for my Volt, Criswell was going to be the place I went last. By that I mean I was going to see what kind of deals I was able to get here in Virginia, and take them to Criswell because everything I have heard makes me think Criswell will beat the other dealers best offer.
I am up to #5 in the wait list for a parking spot with a plug in. Living in a condo is a pain at times.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Criswell has the largest inventory, but I'd also check out Fox Timonium (http://www.timoniumchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new). They only have 2 Volts in stock, but the 2 that are in stock seem to beat Criswell pricing. I bought my Volt from their sister dealership in Laurel.

MD has a $2k excise (sales) tax credit for the Volt which you can claim up front at time of purchase (this is in addition to the federal 7.5k tax credit). Volts also qualify for HOV lane exemption in MD (though there are only 2 stretches of highway in MD you would be able to take advantage of the exemption, I hear). Volts are exempt from emissions testing as well. Here's the official list of MD incentives:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/laws/MD/user/3260

One thing to note: The Volt's official curb weight is 3781 pounds, so I assumed I could not transfer my tags to it from the car I traded in, since that car had a curb weight under 3700 pounds (fees for tags in MD for a car <3700 pounds is $128, >3700 pounds is $180). When I picked up my tags from the dealership, I saw that I was charged only $128 for my tags, instead of $180. Turns out that for whatever reason the MVA classifies the Volt as <3700 pounds (probably someone assumed a compact car could not possibly weigh more than 3700 pounds). So I ended up spending $100 on new tags when I could have transferred my old tags for 10 bucks.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My wife and I are considering purchasing a Volt here in Maryland. I've spent the day learning all I can about the Volt and it may, in fact, be more affordable than we first thought. That said, is anyone aware of the best deals here in Maryland? We live near Westminster and there is one Chevy dealer in town, but obviously I would like to take advantage of any rebates, incentives, tax credits, etc.

Finally, is there a huge benefit to buying new over used? We had planned to buy used but I don't know if that's the best idea with a Volt.
Please search the forum for information regarding the $7500 rebate, i.e. tax credit to help you decide if buying new is better than buying used. I recommend this because you have to have a significant tax liability to get the entire tax credit. Also it does not carry over to the next tax year.

As for buying used; you do not have this concern. The previous owner would (should) have taken the tax credit and you simply buy the car for $7500 less than new. That does not even consider the depreciation you should see in the price for buying used. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You've read my blog and spoken to me on twitter. Make sure you know your electricity rate in your area to run your own costs. My rates are likely about half your rates.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Speaking of rates, I forgot to mention the MD PSC (Public Service Commission) was mandated to implement a pilot program for owners of EVs to charge during off-peak hours, by 30 June 2013. The cheapest current electricity rates for MD are right around 8 cents/kWh (9-10 cents/kWh for 100% renewable energy). Hopefully with this pilot program, the utilities will offer off-peak charging rates that are considerably less than the current going rates.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/law/MD/9304

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all very much. I'm still trying to crunch some numbers on this end. We both work from home and we average about 15,000 miles/year right now, which is pretty good. So that makes us great candidates for an electric car since the majority of our driving is local. The next step is to figure out the eventual cost savings as we weren't planning on spending more than say $25k for a car. I started to construct a spreadsheet based on CarZin's blog when I stumbled onto a Canada-based spreadsheet application for calculating costs. Anyone ever use it? Having a play with it now.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I would play around on the Chevy.com site configuring a 2013 Volt. Someone posted today that they were able to get a $1k coupon to pop up for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts