GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Seriously, I'll never understand the 'black wheels craze'. They make it look like a Matchbox toy. But . . . . to each his own - Nobody has to like it but you

Don

Reactions: Bettergolf72

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe they want it to look like a Matchbox.
Would you say it's better, or worse, than matching the car's color?

I'm a "stock look" kind of guy, but I'd give it a second glance.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Seriously, I'll never understand the 'black wheels craze'. They make it look like a Matchbox toy. But . . . . to each his own - Nobody has to like it but you

Don
I’m with you, Don. To me they look like a cheap car that lost its plastic wheel covers.

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
The white and black look is very sharp, but I still like the bling of shiny wheels.

My Bolt has a similar look during winter with its snow tires mounted on black steel wheels. So best Bolt ever to me. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love the way that car sits.

Two questions --

What Chevy model are those wheels from? My stock alloys have a couple warped spokes and I'm only lukewarm on their looks anyways.

And what changes were made to the suspension to give it that nice low ride height?

Okay, maybe three questions --

Do you find the lower ground clearance annoying? (The Volt is already pretty low, and I have a few issues with ground clearance from time to time. Any lower and I fear the car would be difficult to use around town without bottoming out, especially with people in it.)

EDIT -- just found your other thread. Great photos and information. I would love to give my 2017 a similar treatment, except I would probably have to stick with the stock wheels for cost reasons. Do you notice a lot of changes in driving dynamics, or day-to-day differences?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I normally don't like custom rims on volts. they degrade the efficiency of the car. in my opinion, they make the car look cheap. however, the ones on your car look very nice. it almost makes the volt look like a sexy model 3.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I’m with you, Don. To me they look like a cheap car that lost its plastic wheel covers.
It makes you think they probably dinged up their stock alloys and couldn't afford to replace them

. . . . and my sister did it to her Mercedes . . . .

Don

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The white and black look is very sharp, but I still like the bling of shiny wheels.

My Bolt has a similar look during winter with its snow tires mounted on black steel wheels. So best Bolt ever to me. :)
Show it. Bolt!??!?!?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I normally don't like custom rims on volts. they degrade the efficiency of the car. in my opinion, they make the car look cheap. however, the ones on your car look very nice. it almost makes the volt look like a sexy model 3.
Someone asked me if it was a tesla :)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Volt premium
60 Posts
Maybe they want it to look like a Matchbox.
I bought a 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition last year and got MTCHBX for the license plate 😁

Reactions: arbus

·
Registered
1 Posts
I assume the wheels were plasti/hyper dipped? I did the same on my 2017 and it looks great. I left the center bowties blacked out though, mainly because I wasn't confident enough to try and peel off just that portion. Is that what you did?

It doesn't hurt that the wheelwork draws comparisons with Teslas, but I did it to reduce total amount of chromey-ness. I like some chrome, just feel that a little on the trim goes a long way. Blacked out some of the front bumper area as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I assume the wheels were plasti/hyper dipped? I did the same on my 2017 and it looks great. I left the center bowties blacked out though, mainly because I wasn't confident enough to try and peel off just that portion. Is that what you did?

It doesn't hurt that the wheelwork draws comparisons with Teslas, but I did it to reduce total amount of chromey-ness. I like some chrome, just feel that a little on the trim goes a long way. Blacked out some of the front bumper area as well.
i believe the term is "powder coated", matte black, which was done professionally. It was $160 per wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts