GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder what tire is best for all-season traction from the experience of Volt owners. I have driven the issued Goodyear Assurance tires up and down a steeply-graded Forest Service road on slushy snow over ice, sliding much of the way downhill under the force of gravity. I drove confidently in the past on Michelin Defender, while I read the best winter tire is Michelin X-Ice. At Tire Rack, I also found excellent reviews for performance tires: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and Goodyear Eagle UltraGrip GW-3. Without changing tires with the seasons, I wonder what experiences other Volt owners have had with all-season or summer-tolerant winter tires. I am not worried about tread wear, but need the snowflake symbol for seven-month winter mountain driving.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It'll probably come down to your tolerance for range/fuel mileage loss.

I suspect that the best tire for traction may not possess low rolling resistance.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Depends on location. A 4 season tire in SoCal would not be the same as Montana. I like Goodyear Assurance, Continental DWS, Cooper RS3A, CS5 in the slightly snowy area I live in. It all depends on what level of performance you want and for what conditions. I like to go to Tire Rack and look at tires in the performance category I am interested in.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Look to Nokian.

I used to own a Cobalt. It was terrible in the winter. I put a set of Nokian WRG2 tires on it and it was simply a night and day difference. At the time the WRG2 was the only winter snow rated all season tire with a tread wear warranty. Now they have the WRG3. And they come in the Volt OEM tire size. Though they are likely not fantastic for rolling resistance.

http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/

I have on Michelin Energy Saver AS tires and they did pretty good this last winter.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The OEM Michelins on my 16 Volt were fine, but in the past I've always had dedicated snows, like the Michelin X-Ice, on my previous car. Having said that, this mild Winter has me considering the Continental DWS models for my next set.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Running the wider version of the GY Assurance fuel max now. (The 215/55/17 GY comes in 3 different widths, OEM is the skinny one). I do experience better snow traction with this wider possibly deeper tread tire over the OEM's. Range loss is substantial.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have Continental DWS06 tires on all my cars. I have driven the Volt in very deep, slushy, and icy conditions, with no issues at all.
Top rated on TireRack for snow performance short of a dedicated snow snow tire. Obviously not as good as a dedicated snow tire, but it's a fantastic all season with very good handling and grip in the dry as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts