GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an early 2012 Volt with the Bose/Navigation radio and an active Sirius XM subscription. I recently purchased a new Kenwood KDC-BT765HD receiver which will be installed in my 20005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible. I would like to have Sirius XM in the Crossfire but do not intend to pay for two subscriptions. I figure that the only way to do this is to buy a Sirius XM car receiver, transfer my subscription to the new radio, and move it between the two cars. Are any of you currently doing this with your Volt?

As I understand it, I should be able to plug a Sirius XM radio into the AUX input in both cars. I know that I will need an antenna for the Crossfire, and suspect that I would need an additional antenna for the Volt. Is that true? Also, if I plug the Sirius unit into the AUX input in the Volt, will any of its display information (channels, song titles, etc.) show on the Volt's display screen?

I am beginning to suspect that this may be more hassle than it is worth, and that I should just be happy that I have Sirius XM in the Volt. There are enough other music options with the Kenwood receiver in the Crossfire (HD radio, Pandora, CD, USB, etc.).

Opinions?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the XM Mostly Music package on my 2011 Volt. It saves money over the other packages, as I don't care about the other channels. To the Mostly Music package I have the Internet streaming package. This allows me to listen to XM on my computer or on my iPhone using the XM app. The app shows song info on the screen, and I plug it into the AUX jack on our second car without a satellite radio. This works well as long as you have cell phone coverage and enough data to cover the XM streaming.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The aux. input is for analog audio so no data (song info, etc) will be transmitted and you'd need to rely on the sat. receiver for a display. Depending on how much you use XM in the crossfire, Carl S's (that sounds funny) solution sounds good (pun intended).

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have had a portable XM receiver for years. You need to buy the adapter kit for use in a car or home. The car kit comes with a power plug that goes in the car 12v power outlet, a magnetic mount antenna that I run thru the hatch and mount on the roof and a mini headphone jack. I have plugged in headphones when I was a passenger or used a patch cable to connect to the car audio system. I have used this for over 10 years. XM is expensive but I use one subscription at home and away and on the road in multiple cars and trucks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the XM Mostly Music package on my 2011 Volt. It saves money over the other packages, as I don't care about the other channels. To the Mostly Music package I have the Internet streaming package. This allows me to listen to XM on my computer or on my iPhone using the XM app. The app shows song info on the screen, and I plug it into the AUX jack on our second car without a satellite radio. This works well as long as you have cell phone coverage and enough data to cover the XM streaming.
I think that this is probably what I should do. The Crossfire is my toy car, mostly for weekend use, so I won't be using Sirius XM frequently. I have enough cellphone data to cover me, and cell coverage is never an issue. If I do it this way, I won't need to mess up the in-dash Sirius XM in the Volt.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I also use Mostly Music which is I think $10.99/mo currently plus taxes etc. I also have a receiver that I move between home, shop, and two vehicles. I opted for a second subscription for the Volt as it has its own receiver and I like the screen art and music info. The Sirius receiver does have presets and displays song info though. You could buy one for the Crossfire and then have Sirius in your home too. Docking station required for each location as OP noted. Or go the internet route with the app. This wouldn't work for me because I use Tracfone and data and cell time are pay-by-use. Where I live, Sirius is a godsend and I will not be without it! There are some great DJs too, something the internet stations don't have.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have multiple subscriptions and also refuse to pay full price. 4-5 dollars a month deals are freely available for 5-6 months at a time. You just have to call and cancel twice a year and they re- up the discounted price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts