GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2013 for 13 months now, so I have been through one winter here in Toronto. When I got the car in September 2012, the best range I saw in the morning on the car was 87km (54 miles). Of course, when the cold weather arrived, I got much less. The lowest was 50km (31 miles) in the depths of winter. I was concerned about degradation of the battery over time, but after a cold winter, 87 km came back once the days warmed up.

I took a country drive this summer and did most of the driving on the ICE. I get a kick out of coasting down the hills on country roads to boost the range on the batteries. As I turned off one of the highways onto a road I had never taken before, I had regained the 87 km I had when I started. I saw a sign for a steep grade and switched to the battery. I find the car free wheels better on battery and gains charge better on that as well. The hill was very steep and winding and seemed to go on and on. It was a long way to the bottom and it was all done with coasting and braking. When I got there, I had 97km (60 miles) on the display, 10 km more than I had ever seen. I think this may be the most that the Volt will display because I drove for 5-6 km on level ground after that before it dropped to 96km.

After running that down on the way home. it was interesting the next morning to see the fully charged car now registering 91km. The next day it was 90 and the following day 89. I was left wondering if pushing the battery to that extent was in fact good for it. The extra capacity only lasted a couple of days. When my batteries do start to degrade, I will be going back to this spot to experiment.

Has anyone seen more than 97km or 60 miles on the display?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think you are confusing battery capacity and estimated range.

What you saw at the bottom of the hill was a high estimated range based on the last driven miles.

Once you are back to your normal driving conditions, the estimation goes back to your reular driving conditions.

The estimated range you see in the morning is an average based on the last few days of driving. So that day of high mileage driving condition is going to influence the next few days estimate, but it will progressively go back to whatever your day to day driving range is.

The battery still holds the same amount of charge, it is what you can do with that charge that changes based on the type of driving you do.

Here is an example of calculation:

Assuming the range estimate in the morning is based on the average of the last 3 days (which seems to be close to reality)

Let us say that in your day to day driving you usually achieve 40 miles on a charge and that is the number you usually see in the morning

One day your drive changes (low speed, lots of downhill...) and you achieve 55 miles on a charge

Next morning your battery estimate would show 45 [(40+40+55)/3]

let us say that day your driving achieves 50 miles on a charge.

Next morning your battery estimate would show 48 [(40+55+50)/3]

Then you go back to your usual 40 miles on a charge driving, the next few morning estimate will be

48 [(55+50+40)/3]
43 [(50+40+40)/3]
40 [(40+40+40)/3]

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have done the same downhill charging exercise in my '13. The max est. miles reading is apparently 60, but your battery stack or an energy readout would indicate if the charge is maxed out, over which the regen energy is absorbed but not stored. So next time, use the battery a little more before the hill so that the charge maxes out just as the hill ends. It's a game....

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
As far as best range, the slower you go basically the better. In my 2012 with the 16.0 kWh battery, I was able to get almost 66 miles on one charge. This was in level terrain driving at 30 mph.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As far as best range, the slower you go basically the better. In my 2012 with the 16.0 kWh battery, I was able to get almost 66 miles on one charge. This was in level terrain driving at 30 mph.

I Envy You!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I see 60 VERY often during the summer. Typical when I travel with only a total elevation change of 18 feet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts