GM Volt Forum banner

Best place to private sell our Gen 1 Volt?

950 8
Hi,

Its finally time to part ways for our Volt for a new EV (buying a Mustang Mach E). We can't keep both so will need to sell. Not in a hurry to sell since the Mach E will not arrive until end of the year. Trying to figure out the best way to sell the car ourselves for top dollar. FB Marketplace maybe? Or maybe this site? I don't want to use Carvana, CarFax, or similar places. We already went that route earlier this year and each really low balled the KBB value. I am simply asking for the middle value listed on KBB for private party.

We are original owners and the car is in great shape for 145K miles. It is also one of the early models that shows the production number on screen upon starting (I assume that is a bonus). Yes, I was an early adaptor (as you can see from my join date) and was on the wait list for the car in 2010-2011. The battery was replaced under warranty many years ago after a public charging station was installed properly and actually discharged our battery causing faults. GM actually ended up going after the owner (Nations Bank!). Ah the fun of being an early adaptor! But the car has been a great car and we were all ready to sell earlier this year until gas skyrocketed and decided to keep it to save money on gas. Just a few pics showing how the car is still in good shape and is loaded with every available option (which all still work).

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Gear shift Vehicle Speedometer Car Motor vehicle
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the picture taken on property you own on Lake Norman? North Carolins's inland sea.
Wow, you know your way around the Charlotte area. Yes and no. I am not rich enough to own lake front but I am lucky enough to work where this was taken, which is actually a island owned by Duke Energy....

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 120k+ Miles
1,247 Posts
Keep in mind wholesale used car values have been dropping for weeks, and they will continue to do so while you wait on the new car. The market is shifting due to the combined effects of inflation and interest rates, which is negatively affecting everyone's budget. Personally I would rethink using CarMax simply to avoid all the hassles. Outside of that, there isn't a golden bullet. An all of the above approach will provide the most exposure until sold. Don't forget about Auto Trader as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beautiful car and location. I feel like Facebook Marketplace has the best reach at this time. Carvana and dealers won't give you enough for its value.
Car has already sold ;). Had two very serious offers at same time which made it hard to select who the lucky person would be. Yes, FB Marketplace came through. I was very worried I would get a bunch of low ballers, which I did, but they only DM'd me. The serious folks called/texted. Sad to see it go but the folks that are getting it are a good family and they already have a Bolt and were getting this for their son. Kind of a cool story.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Car has already sold ;). Had two very serious offers at same time which made it hard to select who the lucky person would be. Yes, FB Marketplace came through. I was very worried I would get a bunch of low ballers, which I did, but they only DM'd me. The serious folks called/texted. Sad to see it go but the folks that are getting it are a good family and they already have a Bolt and were getting this for their son. Kind of a cool story.
That's fantastic on all accounts!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts