GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Black 2016 Volt LT with the HOV stickers, anyone recommend a site to sell it on, cars.com and craigslist were what I was going to try out. Any thoughts on ebay? How much do you think ballpark I would get for it, will people pay that much extra for the hov stickers since they have run out? I love my Volt, but I am going to be leaving the US for a least a year and didn't want it to depreciate even more. Appreciate any advice. Will end up posting what I end up selling it for in the end.

· Registered
2,722 Posts
I've bought and sold cars on Craigslist and eBay. Either works, but Craigslist is the cheaper option. Just make sure you transact at a safe place like a bank or police station.

· Banned
7,821 Posts
My personal experience has had the best result on Craigslist and Autotrader.com (well worth the minor fee).

A key is take GOOD pictures of a CLEAN vehicle.
Were the buyers you found usually local? Have you ever had to arrange shipment of vehicles?

· Banned
7,821 Posts
Also curious for anyone that has had experiences selling cars on Ebay.

· Registered
71 Posts
Since everyone has given you some advice on the where to sell, I will answer the other question mentioned.

I think the stickers are of subjective value. I would assign them some value since they are not obtainable at the moment (Something you could mention in your ad). I would assign a value of $500 - $1500 based on the fact that the used car dealership I purchased from in Anaheim seemed to creep their prices up when no one could get the HOV stickers anymore.

Problem is, you do not want to price yourself out of the market especially if you need to sell quickly.

I'm bad with pricing models but I would assume that you are going to be selling somewhere in the range of:
Price Paid - tax credit - depreciation/miles - condition + HOV OR close to Loan Amount (if any)

Not sure what a real world number is since I have the G1. Would be interested to hear what price you were thinking? Maybe post the link once up if it is not against the sites terms.

In any case, good luck!

· Registered
67 Posts
I just sold our old car when we bought the Volt. I found Craigslist and such to be a pain... lots of flaky people. I would only met them at my bank parking lot as it was large, had cameras and I figured if I got CASH I would go right in and deposit it. Trust no Cashiers check!
In the end I had to have it smogged to do a private sale and when I told the the guy at my local place it was for a private sale, he offered me same as my highest bid plus a free $39.99 smog check... So I might suggest as you drive around stopping in to any local body shops and ask.

· Registered
3,574 Posts
Start with CarMax, follow up with Beepi and last check out trade in solutions out of Irvine...

Beepi beat CarMax, TIS beat Beepi but with TIS, you have to accept their offer same day or they penalize you a % hence why you go there last...You can also haggle with them a little, you cannot haggle with CarMax nor Beepi...

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Were the buyers you found usually local? Have you ever had to arrange shipment of vehicles?
I have sold classic cars for clients via ebay and we shipped them globally. A car like the Volt is more likely to be sold locally, but you never know.

With your car, I'd have the buyer arrange all shipping details and payments.

· Banned
7,821 Posts
I have sold classic cars for clients via ebay and we shipped them globally. A car like the Volt is more likely to be sold locally, but you never know.

With your car, I'd have the buyer arrange all shipping details and payments.
I think I'm gonna try Ebay motors. My craigslist posting is only getting tiny nibbles. Suggestion on whether I should go for an auction or fixed price with best offer format?

· Registered
2,138 Posts
I think I'm gonna try Ebay motors. My craigslist posting is only getting tiny nibbles. Suggestion on whether I should go for an auction or fixed price with best offer format?
Ebay is cheap with a VERY wide audience - $125 if it sells. Buy it now with best offer option is my preference.

Throw it up on AutoTrader.com

· Registered
71 Posts
Start with CarMax, follow up with Beepi and last check out trade in solutions out of Irvine...

Beepi beat CarMax, TIS beat Beepi but with TIS, you have to accept their offer same day or they penalize you a % hence why you go there last...You can also haggle with them a little, you cannot haggle with CarMax nor Beepi...
I used Beepi in the past to sell my CRV. The only caution I would have with them is that they are looking for really "newer" and movable cars. Whereas CarMax can afford to have a car sit on the lot for a little while.

As much as I love the Volt, I have never seen one on Beepi (I check maybe twice a month for fun) so either they get sold quickly OR they do not believe they can make money from the transaction. They sold my CRV for about a 7-10% premium which was pretty good in comparison to CarMax/Dealers.

Personally, I think you need to do a private sale like you are going to do.

I tried to look up some 16' on AutoTrader and Cars.com...no hits. You "might" be in a space on your own.

But if you start getting down to the wire, the services mentioned in the rest of thread are readily available.

· Registered
3,574 Posts
To the OP or anyone else selling a Volt in Cali...Remember there is a $1500 state incentive which you will need to pay back the remaining balance...It's $1500 over 30 months so every month you've owned it you can deduct $50 from $1500...But if you've only had the thing for 5 months, you're on the hook to pay back the state $1250...I received some additional details, first they say you will receive the bill within a couple of "weeks" once the it's reported the registration is no longer under your name. You then have 30 days to pay the balance in full...

I used Beepi in the past to sell my CRV. The only caution I would have with them is that they are looking for really "newer" and movable cars. Whereas CarMax can afford to have a car sit on the lot for a little while.

As much as I love the Volt, I have never seen one on Beepi (I check maybe twice a month for fun) so either they get sold quickly OR they do not believe they can make money from the transaction. They sold my CRV for about a 7-10% premium which was pretty good in comparison to CarMax/Dealers.

Personally, I think you need to do a private sale like you are going to do.

I tried to look up some 16' on AutoTrader and Cars.com...no hits. You "might" be in a space on your own.

But if you start getting down to the wire, the services mentioned in the rest of thread are readily available.
You can get an estimated appraisal, often instant but they may take a day for a 2016...The inspection is free...Beepi states they'll beat CarMax by $250, however, under the current offer, CarMax will take the car immediately while Beepi won't...Beepi does offer an Express offer where they deduct $500 from your offer and take it immediately...But it just depends if you can hold onto the car for 30 days or not...

Especially if you're the only car in the area as you stated, cars/autotrader are great...Same is true if you're willing to sell your lower than anyone else...

· Banned
7,821 Posts
Whelp, I went ahead and posted my Spark EV on Ebay Motors. 1 guy already put a couple of bids in, but they were below my minimum, so were declined.

· Registered
1,722 Posts
All I will say is that you need to be in a population center of at least 1 million (aka including surrounding areas) or ALL online forms of sale are nearly worthless.

I wouldn't even waste my breath trying to put something on ebay, unless I just wanted to give it to someone for $500

In fact in my area, private party sales average about 50% below bluebook. Almost always better to drag it into CarMax around here.

Very sad but true unless you have something odd or desirable for your particular area.

So as the old saying goes, location, location, location.

· Registered
2013 Volt
1,687 Posts
hdf,
As a CA resident, have you thought about listing it on the discussion forum of OhmConnect? I assume you have an account with SCE . . .
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?236689
Lots of environmentally concerned members, it is free, and since everyone is tied to their utility account it should be safe. In a recent poll (small sample so far), attitude toward EVs is 100% positive.

· Banned
7,821 Posts
So a little over 24 hours left on my Ebay Motors listing. Ended up doing a Buy it Now with best offer option. No offers of any kind made since day 1, but there are 18 people watching my listing?? wtf? I wonder if they are waiting for some last minute price drop or something?

· Registered
1,722 Posts
So a little over 24 hours left on my Ebay Motors listing. Ended up doing a Buy it Now with best offer option. No offers of any kind made since day 1, but there are 18 people watching my listing?? wtf? I wonder if they are waiting for some last minute price drop or something?
Watchers are meaningless, half the time they are other sellers.

Generally everyone knows you don't make an offer until the very end, so until it ends you won't know if there is any interest whatsoever at your price.

My experience has been that private sales rarely occur above the fair "trade in" value if that.
Unless you are a wheeler dealer anyway.

Good Luck
Ryan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.