GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is going to take an unused 240A 30A circuit and put an outlet so that when we visit we can plug in at 240A . We usually visit every other weekend and spend 4 to 5 hours there. Will be particularly useful in winter.

My friend has asked what socket I would like. Will be hot-hot-ground.

Since my plan is to get a 120V/240V portable charger and knowing that I can get OpenEVSE-based chargers with a choice of plugs, my question is:

What's the best 30A outlet for outdoor use?

·
Registered
651 Posts
NEMA 14-50 - then you could take your EVSE to a campground, if it was fairly portable and waterproof.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
So very nice of your friend to think of this for you.

I'd look at L6-30. Seems to be common for the EVSE connector and you can always find adapters to 120v. The locking part just adds a bit of safety. All of the outlets should work for outdoor use but a cover would seem to be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Your friend should install a socket that matches the breaker & wiring, so that someone doesn't plug in something that overloads the circuit. You should do the same with your EVSE. Then you can buy or build pigtail adapters to interface with sockets that can handle higher currents.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You might consider a TurboCord. It's very portable and it uses a NEMA 6-20 that is designed for repeated plugging and unplugging. If you do go the ClipperCreek route, I like the 14-50 idea. Technically, the wire is undersized for the plug, so it would need to be changed out before moving.

You've got a great friend.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would check the type of L2 EVSE you want to buy. Most only offer a limited selection of plugs. You don't want to change plugs with the EVSE under warranty. 240v outlets can be swapped for about $10.
14-50 is probably the most popular but requires 4 wires (hot, hot, ground and neutral).

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I think it is a good idea if he sticks to code rather than wiring an incorrect plug for your convenience. With no neutral wire, I think he has to use a NEMA L6-30 (preferable) or 6-30 plug. That way, he will never have any issues in terms of someone plugging an incompatible device in or a future owner running into trouble with it and holding him liable or an insurance company denying coverage, etc. Put a compatible plug on your EVSE or create an adapter.

If you wanted to use a 6-20, he could change the circuit breaker and still be to code.

I am not an electrician, so it would be good to confirm this first.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it is a good idea if he sticks to code rather than wiring an incorrect plug for your convenience. With no neutral wire, I think he has to use a NEMA L6-30 (preferable) or 6-30 plug. That way, he will never have any issues in terms of someone plugging an incompatible device in or a future owner running into trouble with it and holding him liable or an insurance company denying coverage, etc. Put a compatible plug on your EVSE or create an adapter.

If you wanted to use a 6-20, he could change the circuit breaker and still be to code.

I am not an electrician, so it would be good to confirm this first.
To be clear, my friend is an electrician so knows code. He mentioned the lack of neutral, which will keep his work to a minimum.

I'll get an OpenEVSE-based EVSE if necessary. I'd like to carry one that works 120V/240V.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A friend is going to take an unused 240A 30A circuit and put an outlet so that when we visit we can plug in at 240A . We usually visit every other weekend and spend 4 to 5 hours there. Will be particularly useful in winter.

My friend has asked what socket I would like. Will be hot-hot-ground.

Since my plan is to get a 120V/240V portable charger and knowing that I can get OpenEVSE-based chargers with a choice of plugs, my question is:

What's the best 30A outlet for outdoor use?
Well given that information, electrical code permits you to use either a NEMA 6-30 or an L6-30.

My choice would be L6-30 since that is probably more common, certainly more compact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts