GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got one of the first Volts, and due to moving, I've had two different 240V charging stations. The first was a Voltec. It failed within a month, and they replaced it. Although the replacement process was kind of screwed up, they did replace it, and it worked for at least a year or two after that until we moved. Then we moved into a zip code that was in the EV Blink "zone" for a free charger. So I got an EV Blink charger for just the cost of installing it. The first one of those failed within a month, also, and they replaced it. Now, about 18 months later, that one is failing a self-test so it won't charge the car more than once without being reset (by turning off the breaker for 15 minutes! And it takes quite a few minutes to boot up again to be usable).

Talking to EV/Blink, they say the chargers from the original program are too complicated, and have features people don't need or want, and they are blaming this complexity for the failure. They say that this one will eventually get to the point where it won't charge at all, and since it's out of warranty they want to sell me a simpler one for $699 (less $100 trade-in). That doesn't include installation, either.

I figure if I've got to buy another one, I should do some research on the chargers that are available, and part of that is getting your advice as to good or bad ones.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
963 Posts
The Clipper Creek chargers seem to be very well rated. If you are going to keep your Volt for a long time, I don't see the need to pay more than 395 $ --> a LCS-20 unit. It needs a 20 Amps circuit only. I too was looking for the best offer at the best price and the best reliability and the Cliper Creek chargers came in 1st place (from what everyone here said about the chargers they have). And yes, I bought the LCS-20 unit. No need for more when the Volt is gonna be my car for long time and it only needs 3.3 kWh to charge.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Clipper creek is rock solid

The Clipper Creek chargers seem to be very well rated. If you are going to keep your Volt for a long time, I don't see the need to pay more than 395 $ --> a LCS-20 unit. It needs a 20 Amps circuit only. I too was looking for the best offer at the best price and the best reliability and the Cliper Creek chargers came in 1st place (from what everyone here said about the chargers they have). And yes, I bought the LCS-20 unit. No need for more when the Volt is gonna be my car for long time and it only needs 3.3 kWh to charge.
A little more than two years in, our Clipper Creek LCS-20 is still working completely reliably, absolutely silent in operation with no drama. For me there is no other choice.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello all - have a Chargepoint and it's been cranking along just fine for over 2+ years now and the only time it has failed to charge my car were the times i forgot to plug it in (Ooops!). Not suggesting this as a solution as I think they are a bit overpriced (got it installed for $69 as part of a DOE study initiative), but it's working well for me.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I have had perfect luck with my ChargePoint CT-500. But I had mine installed by SPX for free under a grant program. The CT-500 is very expensive and probably overkill for most home users. It can also charge up to 6.6kw. It has great energy tracking features. (It has it's own web page.) I believe the retail price of the CT-500 is close to $2K. so it's not priced competitively. But it's built very well.

I read a lot of very positive comments about the Clipper Creek products. They are also priced very competitively.

I can tell you to stay away from any of the Voltec L2 product. (Stay away from anything with a coiled cord.) The Voltec units have been a source of many failure complaints on this forum.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've been using an AeroVironment on my Leaf for a year. It is the portable model which is nice to go on the road with, with an adaptor cord I can charge at any RV park. It has been flawless.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Clipper creek HCS-40 here.
I realize that the current VOlt is fine with the LCS-20 (charging at 13 amp on 240Volt) , but when the Gen 2 Volt comes out (or other better EV that can charge at more than 3.3KW, then I will not need to buy an other L2 charger.
For me it was worth paying a bit more upfront for a HCS-40 then buying a a new one when I trade in my current VOLT>

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Clipper Creek LCS-25P. I'm told by those who know more that the Volt can't take advantage of anything more powerful anyway. We did just have an issue with the plug (sometimes an intermittant connection but we still charge with it) but 5 minutes on the phone yesterday and a brand new one will be here in 2 days. That's service! This and they have a 3 year warranty which I'm also told is rare.

We've only had it a little while so I can't speak about reliability. I'll leave that to the Volt veterans.

·
Registered
95 Posts
+1 for ClipperCreek LCS-25p. Not so much as a single charge error in over a year. My previous charger (Siemens) would throw an error and stop charging about once every two weeks or more. The CC is also TINY compared to the others, and cheaper too! I changed my mind... +10

·
Registered
178 Posts
Please see my glowing review of the AV Turbo Cord elsewhere in this forum. It charges every time at both 110V and 220V. It's been a great investment since I am forced to charge at 110V when I'm away from home during the week. Then, when I get home, I plug it into my 220V outlet. Works every time in comparison to the 110V Volt charger which gives me the blinking red lights at the slightest voltage change.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have a 30-amp GE Wattstation. It charges our Volt at 3.3 KWH and our RAV4EV at 7.7 KWH. We've had it for a year and a half with no issues, and it is basically the sole powersource for >20K miles on the RAV4.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have gotten a 40-amp charger to be more future-proof (and the RAV would supports 40-amp charging). But no complaints...the Wattstation has been super effective for us.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Leviton EVB32-5ML Evr-Green 320 7.7 Kilowatt Charging Station with 25-Foot Cable. Since Oct 2013 flawless. This is pricier than some of the competition, but has the look and feel of commercial quality which is something I appreciated especially as it is connected to a 40 amp 220V breaker......

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll second the GE Wattstation for dependability. Total overkill for the 3.3KW charger in my 2013 Volt, but I foresaw a need for future proofing higher KW rated chargers in my future EV purchases. I can't wait for the 2016 Volt with I hope at least a 6.6 KW charger on board. That will be sweet for those quick 15-30 minute topoffs while I shop in town and have enough range to make it home without the range extender kicking on for the last two miles from home. I went for the good name and industrial quality build of the GE and have not regretted it. There are certainly cheaper EVSE's out there now and the Clipper Creek products probably have the best bang for the buck ratio now, but at the time I bought the Wattstation, I felt I was getting a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Some might not agree with me, but I think probably more important than the charging station is that you get someone who knows what they are doing to install it. An electrician who has done several is preferable. An electrician, perhaps, who had been contracted by a manufacturer who also has testing equipment he can plug the EVSE into.

While I know some have had issues with the SPX/Bosch PowerXpress, I had mine installed by a professional and it has worked flawlessly for well over a year. If I wanted to, because of its size, I could unplug it and use it at a campground. I guess this similar could be said about other slim products.

I also have a 25 foot cable. I can reach outside my garage. The other issue is positioning in your garage. It's most convenient when you can run power to the charging station if it's right next to or very close to the charging port on the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Another Clipper Creek LCS-25P owner here. Only for a couple months but it's been problem free.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Try this link, sounds like a similar problem, and you can unplug a cable or two inside to dumb down the charger and make it reliable. Worth a shot, and might save you half a grand or so.

"You can also just disconnect a circuit board connector inside the Blink unit and it will revert to a dumb but reliable EVSE free of the software problems. "

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ng-the-Ecotality-Blink-(Model-WE-30CKRE-rev-0)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
We have a 30-amp GE Wattstation. It charges our Volt at 3.3 KWH and our RAV4EV at 7.7 KWH. We've had it for a year and a half with no issues, and it is basically the sole powersource for >20K miles on the RAV4.
I love my WattStation too. I figured on a Volt it's working no where near %100.... perhaps that woudl decrease wear? And, the thing is stout! I like it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
GE Wattstation. This comes from a licensed electrician. This unit is commercial/industrial grade. The thump people complain about is actually a good sound. It is the contactor engaging that you hear and is normal.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I have a Clipper Creek LCS-25. I wanted it hard-wired for safety so chose it over the P. To make things easy, my garage has a separate service so I don't need to share sockets. Already had a 30A circuit with 10-gauge cable that was previously connected to a water heater. My electrician friend was able to install the EVSE in a few minutes.

I can't vouch for reliability other than to say that in the few months I've been using it, I haven't had any failures to charge.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts