GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought my first Gen1 volt and my daughter just got into a minor fender bender in it. No airbags were released; however it appears there is some crash data that was generated in modules that are preventing the volt from starting. We'd like to be able to operate the Volt so we can easily move it for repairs. Does anyone know of a scanner that can reset and then run the required tests neccesary on the HV system modules?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Usually an airbag deployment automatically cuts the high voltage battery essentially turning the Volt into a very large and heavy paperweight. Since this doesn't appear to be the case, it may still have done so for perhaps a different reason. Most have used, and enjoy the convenience of the VCX nano. It's relatively inexpensive ($120 or so on Amazon). However, it does require the use of a laptop. I personally use an old Dell from about 2006 with Win7. Just make sure it has USB and wifi would be a bonus if you need to get a GDS subscription since the laptop needs to be connected to both the internet and the vehicle if a module does need programming since it retrieves it rather than storing the programming on the laptop then sending it to the vehicle.

Some codes are hard codes that can't be reset in a conventional way and do require the module to be reprogrammed. Usually these are related to the HV system. I however would in this case suggest having the vehicle looked at first and perhaps even have the dealership do any resetting since there is a definite reason it's not working after a relatively minor impact according to your description. The last thing you need is to energize the HV system and release 360V with a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thank you for your response. I used a basic OBD2 scanner and it does show some SRS codes for the seatbelt tensioners even though they seem to be fully functional (not locked). I will look for one those VCX nanos and then figure out how to get a win7 version installed on a laptop-- how about a VM on VirtualBox- would that work?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts