GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new member and a new Volt owner (2013). Been eyeing them for a while and finally bit the bullet. Love the car so far, but have a few things to figure out yet!

What I want: ability to see battery charge/charging progress on my phone (Android) when away from vehicle, but maybe within signal reach of Bluetooth or WiFi.

I understand that the former OnStar app (now MyChevrolet?) can send you notifications if you're on the premium plan. The latter is not the case for me, nor do I wish to pay $15/mo for the privilege.

The other alternative I've seen are OBD2 dongles (BT and/or WiFi) and various apps like Torque, MyGreenVolt. These sound like reasonable solutions, but does the car have to be turned on for the dongles to function? Or is being plugged in enough? I've used the BT dongle with Torque on my other vehicles to scan for codes, but they would not connect to the ECU unless ignition is on.

Any other alternatives that I missed?

Thanks for the ongoing education. This forum is a goldmine of info for newbs like myself!

·
Banned
489 Posts
LOL ... I don't even have a cell phone.

Why you so interested in this?

Really, you would likely use such an App twice for novelty.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I charge my Volt at work for free using ChargePoint stations, which use an app. But even then, it gives feedback as "xx miles of charge added." Doesn't tell me the actual status of the battery. Several different Level 2 chargers have wifi integration but I suspect they work the same.

Never used OnStar - seems like an antiquated system.

LOL ... I don't even have a cell phone.

Why you so interested in this?

Really, you would likely use such an App twice for novelty.
Your screen name fits, lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The chargepoint app does show you how fast its charging and notifies you when it completes the charge.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, it shows how fast it's charging but it does not technically notify you that your battery is fully charged. It simply sends you a message saying that your vehicle is drawing very little power, and this message comes 30-45 minutes AFTER it's actually fully charged (I've timed it, based on when it says "fully charged" on the dash).

But yes, it does "notify" you when it's fully charged, just not real-time statistics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts