GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several archived threads on this subject. Appears from those threads, the ProClip was highly suggested. I haven't tried it yet, but may. Vent clips don't work well in the Volt, especially since they block the A/C that is needed on a hot summer day.

I have been using the iMount Magnetic Mount on the dashboard compartment lid and run the power cable inside the compartment. It works fairly well, except that on hot days the mount may loose grip and fall off.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IOQ3K6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Wanted to see if anyone else had an updated suggestion.

BTW, Lifehacker is covering this subject as well, but I'm looking specifically for the Volt of course.

http://lifehacker.com/whats-the-best-car-smartphone-mount-1728392924

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I use an iOttie holder. The specific one I have supports wireless charging. IMHO, iOttie has one of the best suction cups in the industry.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use a Kuda mount in my VW Touareg which does not interfere with the vents. I just ordered (today) a Voltphone2 (http://voltshelf.weebly.com/voltphone.html) from Stephen (member on here). I like his idea because it is a low mount (I use the Waze app while on the road), can be plugged into the dash console outlet, stored away quickly, and will not interfere with the air output of the vents. Stephen also sells another type, Voltphone, on his website which would work for some people http://voltshelf.weebly.com/voltphone.html.

I decided to give him my "money" since he has made various efforts to find solutions for Volt owners.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use a holder that mounts to the CD slot (who listens to CDs anymore). It makes for a good solid mount, doesn't block vents, and it's great for travel. It has worked in nearly every rental car because the CD slot is almost always in a great spot for navigation.

Koomus CD-Eco Universal CD Slot Smartphone Car Mount Holder Cradle
by Koomus
Link: http://amzn.com/B00JP0RTB4

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I stick it in my pocket and scan the road for potential hazards..........

But that's just me.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I stick it in my pocket and scan the road for potential hazards..........

But that's just me.
Elemental's advice is the best one, but...
I use my phone to see charger availability at the gym I go to after work - and I've been using one of Mountek's nGroove magnetic holders that use CD slot or dash panel gap. http://www.mountek.com/

The best part about the CD slot holders is the portability and use in rental cars, as suggested above by wmwest74. The other advantage of nGroove holders are universal mounting hardware. When you snap off the magnet holder, the mounting ball is a direct fit with Garmin GPS holders.

It also has a threaded hole normally used to provide tension in the CD slot that fits directly with tripod bolts - providing many options.

When I switched from 2012 Volt to 2014 ELR, there were no CD slot or dash groove to press fit the phone mount. But the tripod mount hardware was the perfect solution to use with a cup holder phone mount I had from a previous vehicle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've seen this one on here before. But I can't tell exactly how it works. I think it will fall out when you open the dashboard compartment lid. So it doesn't mount really.

Similar question, what are people doing for ezpass? Does it work fine in the dashboard compartment (with lid closed) or should I mount it to windshield?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've seen this one on here before. But I can't tell exactly how it works. I think it will fall out when you open the dashboard compartment lid. So it doesn't mount really.

Similar question, what are people doing for ezpass? Does it work fine in the dashboard compartment (with lid closed) or should I mount it to windshield?
Will, I make the VoltPhone 2 that you linked. It is clamped down by the upper glove box lid and will fall if you open the lid UNLLESS, you use a small piece of Velcro at the base of the mount to secure it. Most people seem to want the option of simply opening the lid and removing it, so the don't use any Velcro.

Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have to check out the VoltPhone 2 dock, it looks like it would work well. As for keeping the phone in your pocket to prevent distractions, that is a good idea. But there are some great apps that make using the phone as simple as navigating the touch screen on the Volt. Check out DriveMode.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Elemental's advice is the best one, but...
I use my phone to see charger availability at the gym I go to after work - and I've been using one of Mountek's nGroove magnetic holders that use CD slot or dash panel gap. http://www.mountek.com/

The best part about the CD slot holders is the portability and use in rental cars, as suggested above by wmwest74. The other advantage of nGroove holders are universal mounting hardware. When you snap off the magnet holder, the mounting ball is a direct fit with Garmin GPS holders.

It also has a threaded hole normally used to provide tension in the CD slot that fits directly with tripod bolts - providing many options.

When I switched from 2012 Volt to 2014 ELR, there were no CD slot or dash groove to press fit the phone mount. But the tripod mount hardware was the perfect solution to use with a cup holder phone mount I had from a previous vehicle.
Did you find that your phone blocked any important buttons or dials on the dash? It looks like the TUNE dial is the main thing that is blocked, but you can use the touchscreen to steering wheel buttons to change radio stations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Steve, a question about the VoltPhone 2... My Samsung S3's USB port died several months ago, so I'm exclusively using inductive charging now. I couldn't tell if the magnetic mount's metal plate that is supposed to attach to, or inside the case of the phone will interfere with the inductive charging or not. Do you know?

I am leaning toward this mount, though, since it seems like such an elegant solution! I use Waze for navigation (mostly for traffic avoidance), so it is nice to have the phone visible instead of down in the shifter pocket where it has to live for right now. If the magnetic mount does interfere, have you made any VoltPhone2 mounts with clamping phone clips like the RAVPower Qi Wireless Car Charger? (can't post link until I make more posts here... I'd prefer a CAPTCHA!)

Will, I make the VoltPhone 2 that you linked. It is clamped down by the upper glove box lid and will fall if you open the lid UNLLESS, you use a small piece of Velcro at the base of the mount to secure it. Most people seem to want the option of simply opening the lid and removing it, so the don't use any Velcro.

Steve

·
Registered
962 Posts
Gascans- I don't use inductive charging, nor do I know of anyone that does, so I can't comment on that part. The original VoltPhone 2 was developed for use with a ball mount that too attached to the VP 2. I chose to sell it with the Schosche mount because it is more likely that people will need this and it is much easier to use. If you would like just the bracket, let me know.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use a holder that mounts to the CD slot (who listens to CDs anymore). It makes for a good solid mount, doesn't block vents, and it's great for travel. It has worked in nearly every rental car because the CD slot is almost always in a great spot for navigation.
I have one of those too, but I've been looking at the interior pics of the new 2016 and I don't see a CD Player, or any slot that even resembles one. ruh-roh. Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have one of those too, but I've been looking at the interior pics of the new 2016 and I don't see a CD Player, or any slot that even resembles one. ruh-roh. Hope I'm wrong.
The new VoltPhone g2 is a great way to go with the 2016 Volt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anyone try the vent mount holders from Amazon? I have a couple that dont hold too well due to the vertical slats on the volt. The Voltphone is OK, but mounted too low IMO for line of sight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recently purchased the Koomus Pro CD Slot Mount for my Volt and it doesn't work so well. The part that you insert into the CD slot is thicker than desirable which squashes (folds) the soft rubber lips that keep the dust out. The soft lips remain squashed open when the mount is removed. It would work better for cars that have a CD slot that has a bigger opening. The entire part also blocks and touches both the round buttons on the center stack. I'm too lazy to return it so I will give it to my daughter to use on her 2010 Camry.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
The part that you insert is thicker than desirable which squashes the soft lips ............ The soft lips remain squashed open when the mount is removed.
Brother, I have the same experiance!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts