GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just had solar installed on the house along with a 200-amp panel upgrade. While they were at it, I had them install a 50-amp 240v circuit with a 14-50 style plug. I am looking for a Lvl II charger that can simply plug into this receptacle. I am not looking for anything fancy, just something similar to the OEM Lvl I charger, but taking advantage of the faster charging.

Recommendations? I am not interested in messing with my OEM charger.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use an OpenEVSE. Not exactly cheap but I do like the fact that if it breaks you can order the exact parts that you need to fix it. I own a Spark EV that has very tedious dashboard control over how long you can charge so I do enjoy setting the OpenEVSE to charge for say 90 minutes when I get home or dial down the amperage so you can feel warm and fuzzy and match your Solar output.

You can even switch from Level 2 to Level 1 if required and you use an adapter or make one yourself..

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got my Dousida from Alibaba, custom cord length and whatever plug I wanted, I think it was around $150 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
We’ve been using a Duosida EVSE coming up on 3 years. I know they come in a 14-30 plug not sure about 14-50 though. If you aren’t using the receptacle for anything else, I’m sure can easily swap the 14-50 for a 14-30.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Duosida, Zencar or AmazingE are all low cost off-shore manufactured Level2 EVSE. AmazingE costs a bit more but uses a circuit board made by ClipperCreek (CC.) CC is one of the best brands of EVSE in terns of quality and customer service/satisfaction. Else look for a used ClipperCreek LCS-20 EVSE. The LCS-20 is rated at 20 amps (supports charging at up to16 amps.) This is perfect for charging a Volt; LCS-20 have the 14-50 plug as one of the plug configurations.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Clipper Creek, got an 8 year old one here.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Is there still a $1000 tax credit for a home EV charger installation? Will the utility front some money for one that's WIFI enabled and smart?.
Point is, don't necessarily go cheap.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
606 Posts
Another +1 (actually 2, I own two) for Duosida. Ordered one with a 6-20, another with a 5-15 (and a 6-50 adapter). Work perfectly for years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would say that you should look at all the various level 2 chargers available and buy one for the features you want. If it takes a different outlet style (for example a NEMA 15-50) the outlet could easily be changed.

It is good that you set up for a high output charging cord. A 40A charger will have your Volt charged in 3 to 3 1/2 hours. If you someday change to a BEV you will be set to charge a Bolt in about 8-9 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
If charging a Gen 1 Volt then any Level 2 charging cord set capable of at least 3.3kW (14 amps at 240V) will enable you to fully charge the Volt in ~3.5 hours. The Gen 2 Volt will take ~4.5 hours to fully charge at 3.6kW due to the larger capacity battery. Unless the Volt is a 2019 Volt with the optional 7.2kW onboard charger the Gen 2 Volt will never charge at a higher power level than 3.6kW (15 amps at 240V), take ~4.5 hours to charge at home.

Replacing the power plug on the charging station cord set may not be simple or advisable. Some of the Level 2 charging cord sets have a thermal sensor molded into the plug.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey all,

I just had solar installed on the house along with a 200-amp panel upgrade. While they were at it, I had them install a 50-amp 240v circuit with a 14-50 style plug. I am looking for a Lvl II charger that can simply plug into this receptacle. I am not looking for anything fancy, just something similar to the OEM Lvl I charger, but taking advantage of the faster charging.

Thanks!
What year is you Volt? If is earlier than the latest model it won’t charge faster than 16 A no matter what you have available. You can charge at 12 A with 240V using simple connection cable adapter. Would this be enough?

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
455 Posts
7 yrs on a Clipper Creek LCS-25 here with no issues. There are several on eBay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks!
It's not the cost of the charger, it's the installation cost is high because you will be running a 230/240 volt form your power supply.
John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Charger recommendations? I am not interested in messing with my OEM charger.

Thanks!
I have a 2017 Premier and I bought a 16amp Clipper Creek (The car can't use any more than that).
I have a Bosch 40amp for my Bolt EV. I had a 40amp Chargepoint (free at the time here in NJ, but they gouged on installation). It failed after 3 years with my 2012 Volt and I replaced it with the Clipper Creek. My circuit is only 40amp, so I have to be careful not to have both cars charging at the same time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts