GM Volt Forum banner

Best Available Replacement Wheels for the Bolt EV

18K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Nate Asher 
#1 ·
My seconds of research and minutes of analysis have lead me to my solid conclusion that the Cruze ECO wheels are the best replacement wheels currently available for the Bolt EV. Positives are:
  • They fit (5x105 mm and 56.6 mm center bore).
  • The work with the stock tires 17".
  • They add .5" of width.
  • They are ~4 lbs lighter than the stock LT rims.
  • They don't rub or have clearance issues.
  • They are *somewhat* readily available.
One caveat is that the tires on the front might have rubbing/clearance issues if they are taller/wider (e.g., 215/55 or 225/50).

#5 ·
You're going to have to let us know whether you get noticeably more range out of the wheel and tire package that you add. The good news is that you won't have to get new center caps. Another forum member put caddy wheels on his volt, and that just seemed weird. One way to help the looks is to dip the wheels black or anthracite (gunmetal gray).

Heck, since your bolt is black, you should get it murdered out.

#6 ·
My Bolt EV is actually Grey... It's just night, so it looks darker. I'm actually digging the polished aluminum for now.

I wanted to put sportier tires on, but I might just stick to the stock tires for now. That way I can confirm the affects (efficiency, handling, acceleration, etc.) of one item at a time. Also, it will help me confirm any long term clearance issues. In addition, I can verify the individual weights of each item.

The Fuel Assurance Max tires fit my 2015 Volt, so I'm going to take them off and leave them up north with my Volt. I don't have room for three sets of tires down here.

#7 ·
I don't know if they make Yokohama Adid Ascends for this rim/tire siE, but I love them in my CTS and Volt. They are much stickier than the stock goodyears, though I do lose some range. Though what is reported on the dash it off a bit since my tires are slightly smaller overall than stock. So the speedo will be faster than reality, acceleration slows down because of extra weight, but speeds speeds up a little because of smaller overall diameter. I'm guessing the MPG on the dash is sightly higher than it is because of the smaller wheels.

#9 ·
FWIW I had one of my spare Volt Premier 17x7 wheels weighed at the local UPS store. It is 20.25 lbs - including valve and sensors. I am surprised that GM would have used a narrower, heavier wheel on the Bolt EV.

#12 ·
I don't see why the existing lug nuts wouldn't fit. The nuts are still on the car, the wheels typically just have a few MM of thickness.

#14 ·
Ladogaboy: It is closing in on two years since you changed wheels. Any thoughts in hindsight on them?

After 43k miles, the tires on our Volt are starting to show their age. I have an extra set of NOS Volt Premier wheels that I'd like to have the pockets painted black. This to replace our originals - where three of the four have some curb rash. But for the same price as getting painted pockets, I could just buy a set of the Eco wheels. Less cool looking than black pocket Premier wheels - but maybe more commuter friendly. (My wifes new job, at 60 miles round trip, is just slightly outside the Volts all-EV range. Although she charges at work, a little more MPGe would help...)

#15 · (Edited)
Quite frankly, I've been doing a bit of reading online, and there is one particular article that says that "it would still be possible to find wheels to suit both your individual needs and personal tastes, even outside of OEM wheels." When I read that, I thought, "Well, there may be aftermarket wheels to personalize my own Chevy Bolt." Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit a few chrome rims in my tires. What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.