GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first glitch yesterday after only about six weeks of ownership. The climate control screen was unresponsive but I was able to get the AC turned on my selecting AUTO.

I had the doors open for several hours two days ago doing a DIY cargo cover and then yesterday I accidentally left the interior lights on. I suspect the AGM battery voltage was down a bit and may have precipitated the climate control problem.

I checked the date code stamp on the AGM battery and as best I can decode I suspect it is the same year as the car, 2013. So it might be time to preemptively strike.

I found a group 47 AGM at Sears, apparently on sale, for ~$156. While on the Sears site I noticed that the size 48 is cheaper (~$148) and has 20% more reserve capacity, 120 vs. 100 minutes. Dimensions are identical except for the length, 11" vs. 9.625". It's a little heavier, 45.5 lbs vs. 39. I wonder if it will fit ...

While this looks great, I'm not sure Sears will be around in another 3 years.

Opinions, suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Did you check out our FAQ on AGM batteries?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
The OEM 12V AGM battery could well last 8 - 10 years but there are plenty of examples of Volt AGM batteries failing at 4 - 5 years. Why be inconvenienced by a 12V battery that stops working just when you need it most?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
The OEM 12V AGM battery could well last 8 - 10 years but there are plenty of examples of Volt AGM batteries failing at 4 - 5 years. Why be inconvenienced by a 12V battery that stops working just when you need it most?
Plus 1, Just replaced 2 that were over 6 years old, one failed and stranded me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you check out our FAQ on AGM batteries?
Ok, I went and read the FAQ and all pages of subsequent comments. I came back to delete my OP and suddenly there are plenty of follow on comments.

Anyway, IF the size 48 will fit, any advantages to getting another 20 minutes of reserve? Seems like a no-brainer to me but I'm no battery expert.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Anyway, IF the size 48 will fit, any advantages to getting another 20 minutes of reserve? Seems like a no-brainer to me but I'm no battery expert.
All the mounting gear is designed to secure a 47 battery. Just stick with that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, did some quick online research over lunch, the Duracell AGM from Sam's Club is $135 and it did well in CR testing. The Diehard AGM from Sears did very poorly.

Sam's Club it is!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ok, did some quick online research over lunch, the Duracell AGM from Sam's Club is $135 and it did well in CR testing. The Diehard AGM from Sears did very poorly.

Sam's Club it is!
Be aware, I have seen this battery and as I recall there is confusion over whether the price is for a vented vs. non vented. I do not need a battery but I did look at them at Sam's once. However, if it is the correct one, should be a good one for the price.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
'not in the average automotive environment"

I rub engine oil and road grit on my Volt battery just so it is like the average automotive environment :))

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Be aware, I have seen this battery and as I recall there is confusion over whether the price is for a vented vs. non vented. I do not need a battery but I did look at them at Sam's once. However, if it is the correct one, should be a good one for the price.
I checked it today at Sams. Definitely vented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I checked it today at Sams. Definitely vented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All absorbent (fiber)glass mat (AGM) batteries are vented. AGM batteries are one of several types of valve regulated lead-acid (VRLA) batteries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery

Normally the VRLA battery's valve only opens when there is excess pressure as from an overcharge condition and the one-way valve allows the some hydrogen and oxygen gas to escape.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
When it comes time to change the battery, I'm staying with the OEM. This way, there's no guessing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got the Sears battery last week as it was on sale. No regrets. Look at the reviews 4.5/5 stars. If you don't have a Sam's membership, then go DieHard.

·
Registered
678 Posts
What is the AC Delco battery part # for the 2013 Volt? When I use the https://www.gmpartsonline.net/auto-...ectric-gas-engine/electrical-cat/battery-scat linl #1 is the battery and it is not shown in the parts lists for battery parts but it is pictured. I have had my 2013 volt for 5 year now and deciding if I want to be proactive and replace the battery before the winter hits the New York City area.

Edit: I found the oem battery part # part number: 88864595, AC Delco part # EVLN2

·
1,101 Posts
Is there any warning that the battery is going to fail, or should I just change it out on my 2012 Volt?

The car is working perfectly right now.

Does the dealer check the battery when they do the free inspection? I will have to look at the last report to see if that is a checked item.

Jim - C-5277

1 - 20 of 30 Posts