GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tired of the finger smudges all over the screen so I stopped at the local mall and went to the Ghost Armor booth and asked them if I could purchase a 7" tablet screen protector that I would custom cut to fit my screen in the Volt. I have used their product on all my phones in the past and have always been happy with the quality and durability. They offered to custom measure, cut and install it for $15 material cost and $5 labor. The screen now is void of fingerprints and the glossy look is superb. It somehow makes the colors pop a little more. I highly recommend this very inexpensive upgrade.

·
Registered
442 Posts
We have a Ghost Armor booth in one of our malls. We used them for our phones, but didn't think about it for our Volt screen. Good idea, so might just look into this further. One would think given the amount of 5-7" screens factory installed in cars as of late, they would be advertising/offering this service more.

Did you get the employee to leave the mall, get in your car, measure the screen, come back, cut one, then go back and install it for that price?

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Paul, you would think they would have these pre made. The guy that did it was up here from Phoenix and said he did GPS screens in cars all the time. It seems silly to measure and cut each time but for $20 bucks I didn't argue. So yes, they actually made 3 trips to the car before it fit right and was installed. It looks great.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Looks like at least one company offers the screen already cut and ready to go for the Volt.

http://www.posr.us/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1608

It is $10 plus shipping (under $6 from what I can tell). Don't know anything about them or their products, but might be option for those who don't have a Ghost Armor kiosk in a mall near them.

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Let us know how it works! Thanks.
I also bought two of them (http://www.posr.us/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1608), and I installed one today.

I have installed many screen protectors on smart phones, so I have some experience. I cleaned my screen very well before installation (using a damp lint-free cloth and a good light). The screen protector appears to be thick and strong, yet flexible. It is slightly narrower than the screen (about a mm gap on each side), and slightly taller (about a mm goes under the frame around the top and the bottom), but I'd still call it a good fit. The adhesive is light, so that it is easy to pull it up and straighten it (with the backing film - no fingerprints!). The bigger bubbles were easy to push out through the edges, and the smaller ones will disappear on their own (based on literature with the product and my previous experience with similar products).

My screen had some fine surface scratches that no longer show with the screen protector installed. The touch gestures are not affected. I selected several screens and even played a DVD, but noticed no degradation of the display.

Overall, I would recommend this product, and I thank "Paul" for bringing it to my attention.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts