GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my 2017 Volt with less than 20k miles started beeping approximately once a minute - one, one second long beep at about one minute intervals. No warnings. Doors locked or unlocked. Charging or not charging. Remote inside or outside the car. Has never done this before. I started the car and drove outside the garage and it didn't beep as long as it was running but started again after I pulled back in a shut down. Doors and lift gate are closed as are the hood and gas door.

Anyone else experienced this or have a suggestion for a possible cause?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Did you activate the Parking Brake?

You could try disconnecting the 12V battery negative terminal for a few minutes, reconnect the 12V battery and see if the beeping stops.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Standard beep, like when the electric door isn't shut after unplugging the cord and you get into the car, but perhaps a bit longer and just one beep every 60 seconds or so. Actually seems to emanate from the back seat area.

Drove it and no beeps; also parked away from home and no beeps with car on or off. Would seem to be some electrical interference or interaction with something at home. However, this is the first time since new, two years ago and I can think of nothing that has changed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
These are shots in the dark but might be worth a try:

1. If it's only happening at home, maybe it has something to do with location based charging? Maybe try going into vehicle settings and disabling each of the charging alerts one by one to see if it has anything to do with the issue.

2. I read something in my 2018 manual about Charge Power Loss Alert and repeated audible beeps. Here's what it said:

Repeated audible beeps
Electricity has been interrupted before charging was complete. Repeated beeps will stop if power is restored within
90 seconds.

To disable this feature, see Charge PowerLoss Alertin Vehicle Personalization
0 137.
To stop this alert, do one of the following:

• . Unplug the charge cord.
  • . Press unlock on the RKE transmitter.
  • . Press and hold horn button on the RKE transmitter, then press again to stop the panic alarm.
  • . Press the horn pad.

Again, just wild guesses here but hopefully it helps you out.

Standard beep, like when the electric door isn't shut after unplugging the cord and you get into the car, but perhaps a bit longer and just one beep every 60 seconds or so. Actually seems to emanate from the back seat area.

Drove it and no beeps; also parked away from home and no beeps with car on or off. Would seem to be some electrical interference or interaction with something at home. However, this is the first time since new, two years ago and I can think of nothing that has changed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still chasing this beep when parked at home

I did all of those "Charge Power Loss Alert" steps with no success. Also disabled all of the location based charging and other charging alerts. Reset the home location to the restaurant we were at last night. Still does it only at home.

Parking brake being set doesn't stop it. Haven't disconnected the 12v battery; don't know all the consequences of that and what might have to be re-entered or initialized.

I have tried to upload a .mp3 recording of the tone but haven't figured out how to do that. It seems to be a standard beep other than being a bit longer, perhaps a second long, once every 30 seconds.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
If you have a voltmeter check the voltage of the 12V battery after you shut off the Volt and again after 30 - 60 minutes. You can use the jump start terminal connection points that are under the hood if you don't want to access the battery terminals directly. (Make sure the Volt is not running when you have the hood open or the ICE will start running.) If the 12V battery voltage reading is less than 12.0V then your battery is probably failing or at least not being properly charged by the Volt. I would expect anywhere from 12.2V - 12.8V if the battery is OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestion. Checked the voltage on the battery terminals under the lift-back floor: 12.78 volts. No help.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Normally the Volt will honk the horn if you forget and leave the key fob inside the car and shut the driver's door. Where do you keep the second key fob?

Try using the spare key fob to see if the beeping happens when you use the spare fob. It's a stretch but maybe the beeping is caused by a weak key fob battery.

Also, will the Volt beep if you intentionally leave a door open and walk away after shutting off the Volt? What about leaving the hatch open? If the hood is not properly latched the ICE would start when you turn on the Volt so it is probably not related to the hood latch sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Second key is upstairs. Checked key volts - 3.1v. Haven't tried leaving something open, but it doesn't happen when I'm driving or parked any place except at home.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Second key is upstairs. Checked key volts - 3.1v. Haven't tried leaving something open, but it doesn't happen when I'm driving or parked any place except at home.
Still, swap the key fobs and see if the chiming is the same or stops.

Chiming sound is made when a door, charge port cover or the hatch is ajar. (Maybe the fuel filler door too, I rarely buy gas so I don't know for certain if the Volt will chime if it detects the fuel filler door is not closed.)

Also, when the Volt detects someone is seated, not wearing their seat belt, (The Volt must be shifted out of Park for the fasten seat belt alert to be active.)

You could try opening the hatch, then with any door open lower the hatch by hand to about 12 inches (1ft) and release the hatch so is closes by its own weight. Maybe the hatch closure bumpers need to be adjusted so the hatch fully closes, latches without requiring a lot of manual force being applied.

Maybe there is an issue with the automatic headlight control; try turning off the headlights manually before shutting off the Volt.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
If it only happens when the car is in your garage, maybe the sound is coming from something in your garage that is not your car. Park the car outside and then listen inside the garage to see if you can still hear it in the garage. If so, start by checking your smoke detector battery.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Or. someone at home is logged in to your OnStar account and pranking you. Slim chance, but possible if OnStar account is active.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone who replied. Found the problem. My Liftmaster garage door opener has a backup battery warning that matches the Volt beep exactly. After 10 years the battery has failed and it beeps every thirty seconds. Pulled the battery while a new one is shipping and my mystery beep is gone.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Glad you found the problem! I have a question for anyone that has momentarily disconnected the negative post connections on the 12V battery under the floor in the trunk: Does the vehicle then lose all memory of settings and readings on the center screen? (lifetime mpg, radio settings, etc.?)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Glad you found the problem! I have a question for anyone that has momentarily disconnected the negative post connections on the 12V battery under the floor in the trunk: Does the vehicle then lose all memory of settings and readings on the center screen? (lifetime mpg, radio settings, etc.?)
No. When I replaced my 12V AGM battery in June, the only effects were the compass and tire pressure reading showed dashes. All the other info was retained, including radio presets and lifetime mileage. After my first drive, the compass and tire pressure went back to normal. On the other hand, when they reprogrammed the HPCM2 for the recent recall, a lot of the settings for door locks, charge cord theft alert, and so forth went back to the defaults.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks very much, I appreciate the information.

·
Banned
489 Posts
I did all of those "Charge Power Loss Alert" steps with no success. Also disabled all of the location based charging and other charging alerts. Reset the home location to the restaurant we were at last night. Still does it only at home.

Parking brake being set doesn't stop it. Haven't disconnected the 12v battery; don't know all the consequences of that and what might have to be re-entered or initialized.

I have tried to upload a .mp3 recording of the tone but haven't figured out how to do that. It seems to be a standard beep other than being a bit longer, perhaps a second long, once every 30 seconds.
https://vocaroo.com/?upload

U can use this to upload mp3 .. it will provide a link to the recording

1 - 18 of 18 Posts