GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

2 weeks ago I 've got MIL and DTC's U2603, U2604, U2605, U2606, U2617, U2618, U2619, U2620, U2621, U2622, U2623 and U2624. My 2016 Chevrolet Volt has 30k kilometers, but unfortunately I brought it to Europe, to Poland and I have no warranty.

SO I bought used BECM from ebay with hope that it works, like in description used means working. I change it, then reprogram all modules in car with SPS to newest software, including this BECM. I made test drive 10 kilometers, without problems. Then got i t to charger and an hour later try to drive. Again same codes, again same problem. Growing range from 0 to max (about 80km) and then suddenly 2 km range.

Do you think BECM from ebay was damaged or something in the car could damage it? New module costs about 380$, so I am afraid I will buy it, change and it will break too.

Maybe someone has any ideas, or similar experiences?

Thank you all in advance! Best regards.

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
How old is the 12v AGM battery? A poor/failing 12V will cause many errors. May be worth putting in a new 12v battery.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 110k+ Miles
1,241 Posts
could have been bad when you got it, but my thinking is, if iit was bad it should have not worked at all. having said that, it may not have tryed to work until you started charging it, so in that case it would have been bad from the get go. weak 12v battery is hard on electronics and add a capacitor to help protect electronics
12v system and the pulse width modulated power supply | GM Volt Forum (gm-volt.com)
You, your stereo, and a capacitor | GM Volt Forum (gm-volt.com)
Mine was replaced twice. The first replacement was a bad unit, and it didn't throw errors immediately, but did so within a week. The BECM issues can also be intermediate, at least they were in my case.

Buying parts via untrusted sources, also means you may be buying a unit which is salvaged & already bad.

Reactions: noyoudont

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could check my AGM battery, but there were no any other issues, only these DTC's in Hybrid Control Module 2. While I was programming, voltage was about 12.4V and there were no any issues with programming procedure due to voltage fluctuation or something.

I bought new BECM, hope it will be shipped asap. Thank you for ideas.

Best regards!

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
Hello all, I've got new BECM and replaced it on Saturday, second time so it took only about 2,5 hours for all operation. It seems car is fully functional now :)
Great news! What brand/part# and where did you get it?

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought it from Subaru Source, part #24296900, so newest I found. Now they have it marked as backordered. They have cheapest I could find, later marked as backordered, but my order was finished. Of course when you change this module you must use "replace and reprogram" with AC Delco TDS system. In Europe they have only time access, but when use VPN it is possible to get American 2 years access per VIN.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought it from Subaru Source, part #24296900, so newest I found. Now they have it marked as backordered. They have cheapest I could find, later marked as backordered, but my order was finished. Of course when you change this module you must use "replace and reprogram" with AC Delco TDS system. In Europe they have only time access, but when use VPN it is possible to get American 2 years access per VIN.
Did you change the BECM yourself? If so, did you use special equipment to do it?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
the DEEP dive :)

Battery Energy control Module (BECM) installation at 1:22:22

Reactions: noyoudont

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you change the BECM yourself? If so, did you use special equipment to do it?
Yes, myself :) You must have place to do it, the best way is to have column lift. My friend has one so it was easy. You must unscrew screws, while you have car lifted, leave only 2 in front and 2 in rear of battery case. Unplug water hoses and electrical hoses in front of battery housing, earlier you must take off battery safety switch in armrest.

While you lower the car with some support below battery then you should go under car and unscrew the last screws, then lift car and voila :)

The battery housing is screwed with a lot of small screws, you must just unscrew all and take off cover up, BECM module is just inserted on the clips.

It is not difficult if you have column lift, otherwise you must think how to take battery off, because it is very heavy and you can damage it easy if something will go wrong.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2011 Highlander Hybrid, 2017 Volt Premier
64 Posts
You don't mention the BECM Connector Reconnection Sequence. It's said, that if you don't follow that sequence, some permanent damage may occur.

I understand, that maybe this precaution is like all other ones of wearing HV-insulated gloves and some anti-static bracelets (very rare to occur if you're accurate), but since it takes nothing to follow the sequence, why not doing so?
Screenshot_ReadEra_20211025-083532.png

Fig. 193: Battery Energy Control Module Connector Reconnection Sequence (1 Of 2) Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY

CAUTION: The battery energy control modules internal cell balancing circuitry is powered by the cell group voltage sense circuits. In order to prevent an unrecoverable, unbalanced Hybrid/EV battery section or internal control module damage, always take the following actions:
1. Disconnect ALL of the battery energy control module connectors prior to disconnecting any Hybrid/EV battery section connector.
2. Reconnect all the Hybrid/EV battery section connectors prior to reconnecting the battery energy control module connectors.
3. Disconnect and reconnect the battery energy control module connectors ONLY in the sequence provided in Repair Instructions.
4. Connect the connectors in the sequence shown @ Battery Energy Control Module
Screenshot_ReadEra_20211025-083558.png

Fig. 194: Battery Energy Control Module Connector Reconnection Sequence (2 Of 2) Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Amadis11!

I'm up in Gothenburg in Sweden and I have exactly the same problem. Bought my 2016 Gen II in the States while we lived there and liked it so much I brought it back to Sweden last year, knowing it might be hard to find someone willing to work on it. Of course I started having problems... Just got my reader shipped and yeah, sure enough, I have all the codes U2603-U2606 and U2617-U2624. It can only mean the BECM module from what I can read on forums. Since I'm not that used to working on cars as you seem to be I don't have a clue what to do now. Did you try to get a workshop to do it, or did you just decide to do it yourself directly? For a skilled mechanic how hard is it? And for someone who is not - like me - would you even try? Guess I might not have any choice... Or perhaps my choice would be to sell it to someone who would be willing to give it a shot.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I don't think this is a job for someone who is "not that used to working on cars." I'm not sure I would trust even my regular mechanic to do it because it involves removing the battery. I'd really only want a dealer service department with a trained Volt technician to do it. Perhaps, if EVs have been more widely adopted in Sweden than the US, mechanics there might have more experience with that sort of task?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Too bad the Opel Amepera wasn't sold as a second generation sibling to the Volt. There is a chance an Opel service shop/dealer might be able to do the work though...

-Charlie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts