GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Volt
5 Posts
My baby is dead. It will not Start/Charge and the BECM is to blame. Dealer said they've had other BECMs on order for over six months but the chip shortage has caused a nationwide backorder.

As I need a car, what are my options? GM said it's not eligible for buyback as the bumper to bumper expired. Sell it to the dealer? Just suck it up and wait?
Call General Motors customer service direct. 866-790-5600
Ours has been at a dealer for 2 months now with no help from dealership until I called GM. They can't get you the part yet but will help get you a loaner or rental and follow up weekly with you.

·
Registered
2017 Volt
5 Posts
Is this still happening a lot? Is there a precursor to a BECM failure? Any warning sign?
Mine had Emergency brake light on that would not turn off even though emergency brake had not been on. Then Regenerative Breaking notice came on a few times. Then Check Engine light came on and stayed on. Then car just shut down when wife was driving. Dealer just cleared codes and test drove it saying it was OK but mileage on full charge dropped from 51 to 38. Finally entire front console screen went dead so no backup camera or any navigation features but radio still works. Then Propulsion Power warning came on and car shut down in heavy traffic at 65mph. Finally dealer said BECM needed replaced after denying that was the cause during last 2 dealer visits when I told them of all the posts on this web site that had similar chains of events. Now 2 months at the dealer with no ETA for that part available. Call GM customer service at 866-790-5600. They can't get you the part any quicker but they will follow up weekly and help you get a loaner or rental at no expense. That part has been on backorder for months and I bet every Volt ever made is having these same issues or will soon and GM knows it but has no idea how to deal with it. I wouldn't plan any long trips. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts