GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is dead. It will not Start/Charge and the BECM is to blame. Dealer said they've had other BECMs on order for over six months but the chip shortage has caused a nationwide backorder.

As I need a car, what are my options? GM said it's not eligible for buyback as the bumper to bumper expired. Sell it to the dealer? Just suck it up and wait?

·
Administrator
23,051 Posts
Supply chain issues. Lot's are in-line waiting for a Gen 2 Volt replacement BECM. Waiting many, many months does not seem uncommon unfortunately. It seems like a fair number have been failing.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 120k+ Miles
1,247 Posts
Yikes, I'm glad mine failed pretty early prior to this mess. The good news is we haven't seen failures once the part is replaced with the revised one, so it should be a one time issue.

As far as options, that's a highly personal decision only you can answer. It depends on if you have other cars, etc.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I'm so glad mine was replaced a couple of years ago and before this became a widespread issue.

Reactions: noyoudont

·
Registered
22 Posts
Outside of warranty, what is the cost to replace the BECM? Are failures limited to certain year Volts?
Someone else here is more of an authority to me, but the problems seem to center on 2017s. I'm pretty sure I've seen some 2016 and 2018, and a smattering of first gens.

As for cost, the part itself appears to be just a few hundred bucks but the labor, particularly the software part, probably means most of us would have to rely on the dealership and their rates. There's also the issue of having to drop the battery to access the BECM, which isn't trivial.

·
Administrator
23,051 Posts
Are failures limited to certain year Volts?
Use the Search for BECM, look in the thread titles to see the year. Of course not everyone is considerate enough to post their car year either in the thread or in their signature. I notice your signature does not list your car or year for example 😕

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is not legal advice but I believe that the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (specifically, 15 U.S. Code § 2304) requires warranty repairs to be made within a "reasonable time."

My concern about this is what happens when the Gen 2 Volts are out of warranty? GM is only required to keep spare parts around to comply with its warranty obligations. BECMs may be unobtainable in a few years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is not legal advice but I believe that the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (specifically, 15 U.S. Code § 2304) requires warranty repairs to be made within a "reasonable time."

My concern about this is what happens when the Gen 2 Volts are out of warranty? GM is only required to keep spare parts around to comply with its warranty obligations. BECMs may be unobtainable in a few years.
I haven't been able to find what constitutes 'reasonable time' in terms of Magnuson-Moss, and not for lack of trying.

The concern above is exactly my worry. GM does have two clear incentives to produce parts - 1) they can sell both the parts and the repair work involved, and 2) keep existing customers happy, leading to future & word of mouth sales. Of course, their calculus might involve the hubristic thought that early obsolescence of an existing means a new sale opportunity, as if we wouldn't just go immediately to another manufacturer when abandoned.

The BECM shortage does lead me to thinking incentive #2 isn't exactly GM's highest priority. Yes, supply chain shortage, etc. etc., but I'd bet the farm that following discussion happens daily at GM: "we could take our supply-chain-limited resources and focus on supporting our existing fleet, or we could those limited resources to produce new units for a sellers market with historic markups, thus guaranteeing immediate sales and future parts and service revenue, and use Covid as an excuse to maintain PR with our neglected existing customer". It's the decision I'd make if I was them, but the cost is that not all customers are going to accept months without their cars, Covid or not. My company, which produces industrial machinery that requires long term support (much like a car) chose to prioritize #2. We know good rapport with existing customers is much better for long term revenue than selling as many new units as possible regardless of our ability to support it. We're also not publicly traded and don't have shareholders clamoring for quarterly profits and sales numbers, which, in the end, is probably what GM is up against.

I've made this point in other threads, so apologies for the redundancy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My baby is dead. It will not Start/Charge and the BECM is to blame. Dealer said they've had other BECMs on order for over six months but the chip shortage has caused a nationwide backorder.

As I need a car, what are my options? GM said it's not eligible for buyback as the bumper to bumper expired. Sell it to the dealer? Just suck it up and wait?
Mine is dead also. Please call the NHTSA at 888-327-4236 because they do not know how many of these BECMs have failed and it is a safety hazard because the car can stop suddenly in traffic. There is no recall yet because the NHTSA does not know how many have failed because people are not reporting it to them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is this still happening a lot? Is there a precursor to a BECM failure? Any warning sign?
The first thing I saw was a check engine light and I took the car to AutoZone and they read the computer and it came out with a description that said, "battery energy control module lost communication with hybridEV battery interface control module 3". After I left the AutoZone, the check engine light went off. But at the time I was not aware of the BECM failures so I thought the car just needed a new battery because the battery was old. So I had the battery changed and the vehicle started to act normally so I had no clue that my car had a serious problem. I started driving it again and that's when I stopped at the Post Office and the computer just went nuts and the car, although it was in drive, started sliding backwards. It wouldn't go, it wouldn't go forward, it wouldn't do anything. I panicked after the tow truck didn't show up, and I was stuck, and I started to pray, and then the car started going and acting normal but it was stuck in mountain mode, and I got it home, and after that it continued to behave strangely whenever I would start it and it would refuse to charge and it started acting completely crazy so I stopped driving it and right now it is parked because I'm not sure what to do about it. The cost of the repair, since it is not under warranty, is somewhere above $3,000 according to things I've seen online. Plus I was told the price of the part has gone up, and when I asked how much, I was told "it's really really expensive." The gentleman never did tell me the price. So I haven't had the car towed to the closest Chevy dealership, which is about 50 mi away, to have the car formally diagnosed because I'm concerned about the potentially high cost of repairing it.

If anyone has this problem repaired and it's not under warranty, would you please tell me how much it actually costs to have it fixed? Fortunately, I have an old car that still runs, so I'm driving it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Is this still happening a lot? Is there a precursor to a BECM failure? Any warning sign?
My warning sign was the cruise control enable signal reaching the BECM but nothing happening. Other's have simply had their Volts die on them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do we know if this is a defective design or what is the cause? Are all Gen 2 BECMs the same? Do we know of a VIN or production date range for this? Scary after waiting 65 days for an EGR to think this could be next in my 2017.

·
Administrator
23,051 Posts
There have been a number of recent posts by members who had their BECM replaced in April. Most seem to have waited 1-2 months.

·
Registered
2016 Volt LT
4 Posts
My 2016 Volt has been waiting for the BECM part for nearly 6 weeks. Chevy service advisor here in the Phoenix area told me a week ago the part was manufactured, however hadn't shipped yet. Expected about two more weeks for it to be repaired. If this is so, sounds like I would be fortunate.

·
Registered
2017 Volt
6 Posts

Call General Motors customer service direct. 866-790-5600
Ours has been at a dealer for 2 months now with no help from dealership until I called GM. They can't get you the part yet but will help get you a loaner or rental and follow up weekly with you.

·
Registered
2017 Volt
6 Posts
Mine had Emergency brake light on that would not turn off even though emergency brake had not been on. Then Regenerative Breaking notice came on a few times. Then Check Engine light came on and stayed on. Then car just shut down when wife was driving. Dealer just cleared codes and test drove it saying it was OK but mileage on full charge dropped from 51 to 38. Finally entire front console screen went dead so no backup camera or any navigation features but radio still works. Then Propulsion Power warning came on and car shut down in heavy traffic at 65mph. Finally dealer said BECM needed replaced after denying that was the cause during last 2 dealer visits when I told them of all the posts on this web site that had similar chains of events. Now 2 months at the dealer with no ETA for that part available. Call GM customer service at 866-790-5600. They can't get you the part any quicker but they will follow up weekly and help you get a loaner or rental at no expense. That part has been on backorder for months and I bet every Volt ever made is having these same issues or will soon and GM knows it but has no idea how to deal with it. I wouldn't plan any long trips. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts