GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 123 Posts

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
not an attorney but we can rely on you to spam this message to every BECM thread? :) I'm deleting all the duplicates.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
No worries. It gets confusing and hard to follow when replies start showing up in three different threads rather than consolidated in one.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
Reactions: VOLTandaBOLT

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
It is dead. Fortunately, I have other vehicles that are old but still run and are much cheaper to fix. I really liked that Volt and want to have it fixed, but after the Tesla down the street burned until there was nothing left but the frame, and my lithium ion battery in my 5G phone swelled up and ruptured the phone case, I'm getting concerned about driving around on top of a big pile of rechargeable lithium ion batteries.:)
Sure, but how many Volts have had that issue? Seems very rare to almost non-existent.

Reactions: snic

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
No BECM on tbose. I was just responding to a general statement above. Not all electronic parts are unavailable.
In other words, "I can get tires for my 1970 Olds", has no applicability to the current Volt BECM supply chain issue.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
Just curious what state your car was sold in when it was new? It's a bit unclear whether the Voltec warranty (which covers the battery and BECM) extends to 10 years/150k miles in any state other than California.
And it had to be sold in Caifornia and stayed in California. Move the car to Kansas and the extended warranty is gone.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
It would certainly be nice to get a clear and official statement on this.
I bought my Volt in NY (a CARB state) as Volts were not being sold in IL at the time. My Volt did not come with the extra warranty nor the extra emission controls.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
The class action was a fun read, thanks for the link. Keep us posted, please.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
The one thing I didn't agree with
There is a whole bunch of "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" in the suit. Assertions are not facts, they are claims and the attorney definitely put as much spin on it as possible.

The core issue is the car is unusable until the replacement part comes in. That is taking about 3-4 months. The rest? Lawerly artistic license in my view. But if all it accomplishes is to shorten the delivery time, that'll be great.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
Seeing more reports of BECM's coming in under a month...

Reactions: Sheldon

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
My 16 was done and picked up nine days (today) after I dropped it off, which was the same day they ordered the BECM, so something good is going on to speed up the process now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More positive reports coming in. Hopefully the new norm.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
But then I'm dealing with an expensive BECM issues which I heard is 4500 dollars or is this under warranty???
Note that you are in the Gen 2 Volt Problems forum. Gen 1 Volts have not been having this issue.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
Please this BECM issues is only applicable to 2017 Volts?
It seems 2017 has more reports than other years, but if you start with post #1 of this thread you'll see other years can have the issue as well.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
I'm glad yours is back, yikes, what a long journey!

Yup, the BECM supply chain logjam seems to have broken in the last month or so. People are now reporting getting the replacement in under a month, sometimes in a week.

· Administrator
23,692 Posts
I wonder for some of these if the BECM failure is a symptom rather than the cause? Like a blown fuse, where the replacements keep blowing. It's not a fuse issue, something else is causing the problem.

Reactions: dvb
1 - 15 of 123 Posts